General Discussion

Redweek exchange program

Jun 19, 2007

I have a question dealing with this new program of Redweek and other smaller trading companies!

I know we do not have to join II or Rci when we own at a resort but once you do are there not guild lines to follow as far as the trading company you signed on with!

The resort has contract with II or Rci so when you join your agreeing to their rules and the resort rules for trading.

Will resorts except trades with some company like Redweek when the resort already has contract with one of the big two! I know I have checked other small sites and one in Hawaii too. They show the smaller resorts outside the main gate of our resort area but have not seen our resort on any of these list for trade!

Why would a resort work with Redweek when they already have agreements with other trading companies!

Phil L.
Jun 20, 2007

phill12 has stated / asked.... >> I have a question dealing with this new program of Redweek and other smaller trading companies!

I know we do not have to join II or Rci when we own at a resort but once you do are there not guild lines to follow as far as the trading company you signed on with!

The resort has contract with II or Rci so when you join your agreeing to their rules and the resort rules for trading. <<

If you OWN a week, then it is yours to deal with as you see fit (within the resort's operating, occupancy, parking, etc. rules, of course). The fact that a resort may be affiliated with one (or more than one) exchange company does NOT change or affect that indisputable fact. It's YOUR week.

In joining any exchange company, a matter entirely and distinctly separate from your resort week ownership, you then agree to the exchange company membership rules. Those rules may (and do) prohibit you from renting out an exchange, for example, as a specific term / condition of your membership, but an exchange company (whoever it may be) certainly cannot dictate any terms or restrictions regarding your participation in any OTHER exchange companies.

RE: >> Will resorts except trades with some company like Redweek when the resort already has contract with one of the big two! <<

Back to point #1 above. It's YOUR week. Resort affiliation with the "Big Two" does not and cannot dictate what you do with YOUR owned week --- and/or what OTHER exchange company you may choose to utilize to trade your week. Also keep in mind that DAE (a smaller but established exchange company) is also a partner in the RW program.

Re: >> I know I have checked other small sites and one in Hawaii too. They show the smaller resorts outside the main gate of our resort area but have not seen our resort on any of these list for trade! <<

Not sure of your point here, but is it perhaps simply a matter of "available inventory"? At my best locations, searches VERY rarely show any "deposited weeks" awaiting exchange. That doesn't surprise me.

Re: >> Why would a resort work with Redweek when they already have agreements with other trading companies! <<

Don't confuse the resorts' exchange company "affiliation" with YOUR RIGHT as an owner to utilize ANY exchange company you choose! The resort doesn't have ANY say in who/how legitimately exchanged weeks arrive there. Their ONLY say is the exchange company (or companies) with which they have their own contractual affiliation. THEIR affiliation has no bearing on YOUR ownership or YOUR exchange thereof. Don't lose sight of WHO OWNS YOUR WEEK --- YOU!!!

KC
Jun 20, 2007

Phil is right on the money. Just because a resort is listed in the RCI or II wishbooks (catalogs) does not mean you have to use either of those exchange companies.

As long as you own the week, you can go with whatever exchange system you wish.

R P.
Jun 20, 2007

jayjay wrote:
Phil is right on the money. Just because a resort is listed in the RCI or II wishbooks (catalogs) does not mean you have to use either of those exchange companies.

As long as you own the week, you can go with whatever exchange system you wish.

[[ PHIL]]

Jayjay I think you meant to say Ken was right!

What I was thinking was because our resort has contract with II they would be limited to only working with II. I understand its my unit and I can do what I want but working with Redweek means the resort has to also deal with them now and this might not go over to well with II.

If someone rents my place and stays then there is nothing trading wise resort would be doing to help. But if I trade then Redweek is involved and that is what I was wondering about!

I did check my first unit and get 1934 if I used Redweek.

Before leaving II there needs to be some nice resorts 5* that we want to use! I will keep watching!

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Jun 20, 2007 08:21 AM

Jun 20, 2007

[phil12] I know I have checked other trading sites and one in Hawaii too. They show the smaller resorts outside the main gate of our resort area but have not seen our resort on any of these list for trade!

[ken1193] Not sure of your point here, but is it perhaps simply a matter of "available inventory"? At my best locations, searches VERY rarely show any "deposited weeks" awaiting exchange. That doesn't surprise me.

PHIL12 Ken what I was trying to say was that we have some condo's outside our gate like the The Ridge Sierra,Ridge Point,Ridge View and Ridge Crest and these units are cheaper to rent and not five star condo's.

These are the units I find on these smaller trading sites and same with most condo's. When you read about a unit many times ad will state it is close to some big name resort!

Hope this makes my questions a lttle more clear!

Phil L.
Jun 20, 2007

RE: >> What I was thinking was because our resort has contract with II they would be limited to only working with II. <<

Perhaps true for THEM -- but YOU don't have any such contractually exclusive arrangement.

Re: >> but working with Redweek means the resort has to also deal with them now and this might not go over to well with II. <<

Not so. Resorts are ALREADY dealing with multiple exchange companies (Trading Places International, Dial an Exchange, RCI, etc. NONE of them has ANYTHING WHATSOEVER to say about where you choose to deposit the week(s) YOU own.

RE: >> If someone rents my place and stays then there is nothing trading wise resort would be doing to help. But if I trade then Redweek is involved and that is what I was wondering about! <<

Not a legitimate worry, in my own personal view. The bigger concern with a RedWeek trade, in my opinion, is whether or not there is anything available in their (so far) very limited inventory which is better than (or even nearly as good as) what you have firmly in hand already, which would justify your "giving up" (depositing) what you have in exchange for something else. That, of course, is a personal decision based on your own personal priorities and assessments of what is "on the table" for exchange. My recommendation (and advice I'm certainly following for myself) would be NOT to deposit anything of high value to you until or unless you start to see offerings of comparable value / interest. Just my opinion, but I'm practicing what I preach......

Re: >> I did check my first unit and get 1934 if I used Redweek. <<

Sounds like a pretty high valuation --- but does RW offer anything that you WANT in exchange? For me personally, so far that answer is no.

Re: >> Before leaving II there needs to be some nice resorts 5* that we want to use! I will keep watching!<<

You don't have to "leave" II, unless you choose to do so. You can belong to multiple exchange companies at the same time (I certainly do -- and I will continue to do so until / unless annual membership fees become prohibitive). RCI is my #1 candidate for non-renewal, with no other entity even close behind in second place, but that's a whole other story........ ;-)

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 20, 2007 12:47 PM

Jun 20, 2007

I am new to all this and I really appreciate the information. We have a wonderful property at the Teton Club in Jackson Hole. I am looking for 5 star properties. Are there exchange sites or places anyone has visited that would meet such criteria? I haven't been impressed yet! Anyone?

Arlene H.
Jun 21, 2007

phill12 wrote:

My BAD .... you are indeed correct that it was Ken's post that I was agreeing with. :o).

R P.
Jun 21, 2007

jayjay wrote:
phill12 wrote:

My BAD .... you are indeed correct that it was Ken's post that I was agreeing with. :o).

[PHIL12] I new there was a problem when I read you agreed with me! I fell out of my chair in shock before finding you were only teasing me! LMAO

Phil L.
Jun 21, 2007

phill12 wrote:
I new there was a problem when I read you agreed with me! I fell out of my chair in shock before finding you were only teasing me! LMAO

You and I agree on most timeshare issues phill :o). Sometimes when there are so many 'quoted posts' in a thread it can get confusing as to who posted what. That's why I started posting in bold black.

R P.
Aug 07, 2007

jayjay wrote:
phill12 wrote:
I new there was a problem when I read you agreed with me! I fell out of my chair in shock before finding you were only teasing me! LMAO

You and I agree on most timeshare issues phill :o). Sometimes when there are so many 'quoted posts' in a thread it can get confusing as to who posted what. That's why I started posting in bold black.

===

That's also why the Fairfleld owners site absolutely insists that posts be signed. Not with a real name necessarily, but in some identifing way. adahi

Mary D.
Aug 10, 2007

arleneh20 wrote:
I am new to all this and I really appreciate the information. We have a wonderful property at the Teton Club in Jackson Hole. I am looking for 5 star properties. Are there exchange sites or places anyone has visited that would meet such criteria? I haven't been impressed yet! Anyone?

======== Gold Crown is RCI's designation that means the same as 5 Stars. What exchange clubs are you working with? Interval? RCI? Holiday Systems? Etc. They all have directories and/or on-line listings which you can look over. (I don't see your resort listed with RCI, though there are 3 Jackson Hole resorts.)

What sort of vacation experience are you looking for, beyond the lovely villas? Do you want to ski? Golf? Are you a history buff or just love great scenery? We might be better able to make suggestions if we knew more about you.

As far as just outstanding timeshares, I'd have to suggest Big Cedar on Table Rock Lake in Ridgedale, Missouri--ten miles outside of Branson. It has a variety of lodging styles, but the overall grounds and facilities are impressive. I'd guess the style might not be unlike 5 Star Wyoming! I think the Bluegreen owned Wilderness Club at Big Cedar must be in the Interval International book, since I don't see it in RCI. Other parts may be owned by other resort groups. It's big. If you bother to leave the grounds, Branson has a lot to offer--not just country music but many kinds plus water parks, Silver Dollar City theme park, etc. Actually, there are several very nice resorts in and around Branson. Fairfield's Mountain Vista was still under construction when we stayed there, but I've read glowing reviews since then. The two 3 bedrooms units we had were great.

If you are thinking of exchanging into something very high end, you may be rather disappointed because much of what is deposited for exchange is less than that particular resort's best. You'll probably notice lots of Studio units available. When half of a lock-off unit is deposited as a 1 Bedroom, it is likely to be the smaller "half". Or the one with the parking lot view. Quite naturally, the real owners get first choice over exchange guests.

San Francisco Exchange claims to accept only top resorts. I think that's the one that only accepts Red weeks--Which is a tad silly, since folks may need to travel in White or Blue seasons. We just secured a 2BR Blue (low season) in Texas through RCI for our 1BR Silver Crown White season resort in Branson. But it was exactly the dates and location we needed. We got a bonus bedroom because this was one of those resorts which have nothing except two bedroom units! MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Aug 10, 2007 09:15 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.