Jul 15, 2007

what does floating mean???

I am only familiar with platinum, gold and silver - please explain.

Greg P.
Jul 16, 2007

gregp75 wrote:
what does floating mean???

I am only familiar with platinum, gold and silver - please explain.

The purchaser of a floating timeshare week has the flexibility of scheduling their vacation interval with yearly variations in accordance with the resort's guidelines. Typically, resorts will accept requests for specific weeks by the interval owner as soon as the annual maintenance fees are paid. Therefore, the earlier the maintenance fees are paid the better the chance that the owner can pick a specific interval week.

We have a timeshare glossary in our Help section or at this direct link http://www.redweek.com/help/glossary

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Jul 18, 2007

There are only two float times at MBP.....Plat and Gold. All weeks are seen by the exchange companies, however, as red ( that means II in this case. It also show there are diffewrent degrees of red, and gold is considered a slightly weaker red time than plat.

There are specific weeks in the Plat & Gold period that mean a lot. In the Marriott system, owners are allowed to pick any week they want in the float time they own. That means an owner can pick from various times in their float. It also means that a savy T/S owner here would always try to pick the week they feel would be most desired by the exchange company. WHY???

Because the strongest week in the float period given to an exchange company would provide better weeks in the trade....at least in the II and RCI exchange groups.

An example....a gold float week costs a lot less than a plat. But the time period in the gold float (at MBP) includes Memorial week or Thanksgiving Week....that might be stronger than a week in late October....( II confirms this with giving an AC (Bonus Week) for a turned in Thanksgiving week .

Since MBP are lock outs, most exchangers pick the best possible week in their float time, ( I bet a plat Easter Week would really be a top trader) then have Marriott lock it out ( a charge) , then give the two weeks to II, who may want it bad enough to give a AC too. ( ACs are different, but most have a charge to use, usually 299 for a 2 bed 2 bath marriott week somewhere else.

That can produce 3 weeks a year for your one. It has been noted that the Four Seasons in he San Diego area are also all lock out, and II may give 2 ACs for each lock out week. Thats four weeks four the one......BUT the main fees there are just under $2000 a week ( last I heard).

KenK

Kenneth K.

Last edited by kekouri on Jul 18, 2007 07:15 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.