Timeshare Exchanges

Suggestions to handle credit card's response?

Sep 29, 2007

Last month, we bought our 1 week/yr for 30 years TS in Mexico and just received the Certificate. While reviewing the Certificate, we realized that it was totally different from the Contract that we signed. I contacted the resort and sales rep. several time but nobody responded to my calls. While doing research, we also realized that we were illegally asked to sign away our rescission rights, which is illegal in Mexico. So I contacted my credit card (RCI Elite Rewards) and Profeco for helping us to cancel our contract due to deceptive and mislead information. After about a month, before hearing from credit card and Profeco, I received a revised Certificate last week. However, we still feel that the waiver of our rights is fraudulent. Because of it, we did not know that we can rescind our contract within 5 days. Therefore, we still pursue to have our contract cancels. Two days ago, (4 weeks from the date that we filed our dispute) we received a letter from our credit card (RCI Elite) acknowledged that they received our dispute claim. Today, I received a denial letter from our credit card denied our claim. It stated as follows: “…WE ATTEMPTED TO CONTACT YOU, BUT WERE UNABLE TO REACH YOU TO DISCUSS THIS MATTER. WE HAVE THOROUGHLY REVIEWED THE DETAILS OF YOUR DISPUTE, AND BASED ON THE INFORMATION WE HAVE RECEIVED, WE ARE UNABLE TO ISSUE A CREDIT FOR THE DISPUTED AMOUNT(S). WE RECEIVED THE DOCUMENTATION THAT YOU SENT IN RESPONSE TO OUR LETTER REQUESTING ADIDTIONAL INFORMATION. UNFORTUNATELY, THE INFORMATION THAT WE RECEIVED WAS NOT WHAT WE SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED OR WAS NOT COMPLETE. WITHOUT THE SPECIFIC INFORMATION, WE ARE UNABLE TO PURSUE YOUR INQUIRY FURTHER. AT THIS TIME WE CONSIDER THIS DISPUTE CLOSED AND THE FULL AMOUNT NOW DUE….” I am so disappointed about its response, however not surprised because this credit card (RCI Elite) had been applied and approved at the resort. It is an affiliation of these resorts. Therefore, there is conflict of interest. I think if I used other credit card, my rights as its customer would be vigorously protected. RCI Elite credit card lied to us. They said “we attempted to contact you, but unable”, in our letter, we gave them our home phone, cell and work phones which all have answering machines, but no messages left. We have given them information that proved this contract is a fraud - our contract which clearly stated what you bought; the incorrect certificate that issued to us later; the paper clearly stated that this is a non-refundable, non-cancelable contract, and penalty clause for cancellation, etc. They, on the other hand, did not sent any letter requesting any additional information. We intent to pursuit this case to reach a satisfaction solution by calling its customer service on Monday. In the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas how to handle this credit card’s response effectively, please help me. Thank you very much. PS. I still have not heard anything from Profeco for its results.

Kimy N.
Sep 30, 2007

kimyn wrote:
I am so disappointed about its response, however not surprised because this credit card (RCI Elite) had been applied and approved at the resort. It is an affiliation of these resorts. Therefore, there is conflict of interest. I think if I used other credit card, my rights as its customer would be vigorously protected. RCI Elite credit card lied to us. They said “we attempted to contact you, but unable”, in our letter, we gave them our home phone, cell and work phones which all have answering machines, but no messages left. We have given them information that proved this contract is a fraud - our contract which clearly stated what you bought; the incorrect certificate that issued to us later; the paper clearly stated that this is a non-refundable, non-cancelable contract, and penalty clause for cancellation, etc. They, on the other hand, did not sent any letter requesting any additional information. We intent to pursuit this case to reach a satisfaction solution by calling its customer service on Monday. In the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas how to handle this credit card’s response effectively, please help me. Thank you very much. PS. I still have not heard anything from Profeco for its results.

I would call customer service with the credit card company and ask to speak to a supervisor or somone in upper management to re-contest the charges. Tell them what you have stated above, that no one from the credit card company tried to get in touch with you after you had given them several telephone numbers with voice mail capabilities.

It's your right, by Mexican law, to a 5 days rescission period after signing a contract, and if they made you waive that rescission then that's against the law, period.

I would also stay in touch with Profeco. For future reference, does Profeco have a telephone number or does everything have to be handled in writing only?

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Sep 30, 2007 06:30 AM

Oct 01, 2007

Thanks Jayjay. I just sent an appeal letter to the manager of billing inquiry department by certified mail this morning. In my letter, I outlined all the reasoning (true facts with support documents) that justify my request. I hope this helps. Profeco has telephone number, but so far everything I communicated were via email and regular mail. I will contact them by phone to follow it up (I hope that I speak to someone that I can understand).

Kimy N.
May 22, 2009

Get personally in touch with me; contact redweek and they will send your email to me and I will give you some personal info.

This is some info also that will help all !!!!

It called the attention of the FTC who said that Citicorp should have grown suspicious of the ethical practices in this business group because of the high number of complaints/disputes against them. The FTC actually took Citicorp to court and fined them several million dollars and made a new ruling because they felt it was greed that fueled Citicorp and not concern for the consumer

Fran B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.