Point Systems

RCI points

Oct 09, 2007

I am an RCI points owner at various resorts. I see that Red Week offers great prices on resales as opposed to buying from the developer. How does a purchaser on Red Week get the points alloted for the resort in question? Do the points not come along with a purchase on Red Week?

Randy W.
Oct 10, 2007

randywinger asks, quoted only in pertinent part:

>> How does a purchaser on Red Week get the points alloted for the resort in question? Do the points not come along with a purchase on Red Week? << ====================================

I am assuming that you are talking about RCI Points associated with ownership of a RCI Points week (and NOT about the RedWeek exchange model, which has a separate and completely unrelated "points" process and system all of its own). The RCI Points associated with ownership of a RCI Points week are firmly attached to the ownership of that week. It matters not at all when/how/where/by whom that week might be subsequently sold in the resale market --- the RCI Points allocated to that week still remain the same.

The RCI Points program has NO relationship whatsoever to the "points" system which Redweek utilizes for its internal exchange service. There is no relationship or correlation with the "value" of the respective points figures either. It's apples and oranges --- entirely unrelated.

KC
Oct 10, 2007

ken1193 wrote:

>> How does a purchaser on Red Week get the points alloted for the resort in question? Do the points not come along with a purchase on Red Week? << ====================================

I am assuming that you are talking about RCI Points associated with ownership of a RCI Points week (and NOT about the RedWeek exchange model, which has a separate and completely unrelated "points" process and system all of its own). The RCI Points associated with ownership of a RCI Points week are firmly attached to the ownership of that week. It matters not at all when/how/where/by whom that week might be subsequently sold in the resale market --- the RCI Points allocated to that week still remain the same.

The RCI Points program has NO relationship whatsoever to the "points" system which Redweek utilizes for its internal exchange service. There is no relationship or correlation with the "value" of the respective points figures either. It's apples and oranges --- entirely unrelated.

yes, I was talking specifically about RCI points. The resorts I own at are points related, so if I buy from a listing on Red Week , you are saying the RCI points alloted to that resort and week go hand in hand?

Randy W.
Oct 10, 2007

randywinger wrote:
ken1193 wrote:

yes, I was talking specifically about RCI points. The resorts I own at are points related, so if I buy from a listing on Red Week , you are saying the RCI points alloted to that resort and week go hand in hand?

=========== Just curious...Unless you want a boatload of points why would you want to purchase more RCI points resorts (along with the ensuing MF). Would it not be cheaper & easier to just "rent" (2 cents/point) for the times you need extra?

Mike N.
Oct 11, 2007

randywinger asks, quoted in pertinent part:

>> The resorts I own at are points related, so if I buy from a listing on Red Week , you are saying the RCI points alloted to that resort and week go hand in hand?<< ====================================

As I stated previously, the RCI points associated with ANY RCI points week are more than "hand in hand", -- they are permanently attached to one another. It does not matter one bit where / from whom you buy that particular RCI points week. The RCI points still stay permanently attached to that week as a pre-determined and fixed number of RCI points, no matter who later resells it, no matter where purchased and no matter how much money is involved in the purchase or sale or resale.

There are a VERY few, VERY rare exceptions to the above, however. I am aware, for specific example, of two resorts in Sebastian, Florida where, upon the resort resale of a RCI points week, that RCI points week then reverts back to being a fixed week (i.e., with no RCI points any longer attached). That practice requires the next owner to pay (in addition to purchase costs) a fee if that next owner then wants to convert the week BACK to RCI points. That's quite a "racket" and, in my opinion, marginally ethical (at best), but it is rare in the industry. Of course, the resort salesman and the RCI rep at these two resorts are (no surprise...) one and the same person, so he's actually making out on every resale by profiting from TWO separate "transactions" within each individual resale (if the new buyer wants his week to be RCI points). Again though, this particular example is highly unusual and statistically VERY rare in my personal experience.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 11, 2007 04:03 AM

Oct 11, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
randywinger asks, quoted in pertinent part:

>> The resorts I own at are points related, so if I buy from a listing on Red Week , you are saying the RCI points alloted to that resort and week go hand in hand?<< ====================================

As I stated previously, the RCI points associated with ANY RCI points week are more than "hand in hand", -- they are permanently attached to one another. It does not matter one bit where / from whom you buy that particular RCI points week. The RCI points still stay permanently attached to that week as a pre-determined and fixed number of RCI points, no matter who later resells it, no matter where purchased and no matter how much money is involved in the purchase or sale or resale.

There are a VERY few, VERY rare exceptions to the above, however. I am aware, for specific example, of two resorts in Sebastian, Florida where, upon the resort resale of a RCI points week, that RCI points week then reverts back to being a fixed week (i.e., with no RCI points any longer attached). That practice requires the next owner to pay (in addition to purchase costs) a fee if that next owner then wants to convert the week BACK to RCI points. That's quite a "racket" and, in my opinion, marginally ethical (at best), but it is rare in the industry. Of course, the resort salesman and the RCI rep at these two resorts are (no surprise...) one and the same person, so he's actually making out on every resale by profiting from TWO separate "transactions" within each individual resale (if the new buyer wants his week to be RCI points). Again though, this particular example is highly unusual and statistically VERY rare in my personal experience.

============= While I agree that this practice is not very ethical, I'm not sure if RCI is the only "culprit" in this game. This is similar to resales of Marriott weeks losing any "reward points" that was part of the original purchase from a developer. If I'm not mistaken, people who but resales of Sunterra resorts also have to pay extra to "rejoin" the Sun Options program.

Mike N.
Oct 11, 2007

mike1536 states:

>>While I agree that this practice is not very ethical, I'm not sure if RCI is the only "culprit" in this game. This is similar to resales of Marriott weeks losing any "reward points" that was part of the original purchase from a developer. If I'm not mistaken, people who but resales of Sunterra resorts also have to pay extra to "rejoin" the Sun Options program.<< =======================================

Hi Mike: I am nearly always "at the ready" to bash RCI for its' assorted foibles and follies, but in the particular instance which I've cited RCI is essentially without guilt. What I've described is purely a scheme drummed up on site by the salesman / broker for the two (adjoining) resorts involved. The resort salesman on site is "RCI authorized" to deal in RCI points, but the repetitive conversion fee scheme is, as nearly as I can determine, solely and exclusively the "brainchild" of the resort salesman / broker / RCI points rep (and maybe chief cook and bottlewasher too, I'm not sure). I whack RCI plenty for its various goofy, expensive and unfair practices, but I must be fair and clarify that THIS particular scheme is NOT actually of RCI's own making or execution (and I've not personally seen it anywhere else besides these two resorts).

KC
Oct 11, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
mike1536 states:

>>While I agree that this practice is not very ethical, I'm not sure if RCI is the only "culprit" in this game. This is similar to resales of Marriott weeks losing any "reward points" that was part of the original purchase from a developer. If I'm not mistaken, people who but resales of Sunterra resorts also have to pay extra to "rejoin" the Sun Options program.

<< =======================================

Hi Mike: I am nearly always "at the ready" to bash RCI for its' assorted foibles and follies, but in the particular instance which I've cited RCI is essentially without guilt. What I've described is purely a scheme drummed up on site by the salesman / broker for the two (adjoining) resorts involved. The resort salesman on site is "RCI authorized" to deal in RCI points, but the repetitive conversion fee scheme is, as nearly as I can determine, solely and exclusively the "brainchild" of the resort salesman / broker / RCI points rep (and maybe chief cook and bottlewasher too, I'm not sure). I whack RCI plenty for its various goofy, expensive and unfair practices, but I must be fair and clarify that THIS particular scheme is NOT actually of RCI's own making or execution (and I've not personally seen it anywhere else besides these two resorts). ========== Ken, Thanks for the clarification. But unfortunately there are probably not the only resorts that play this game. I have heard other cases where the TS, which was previously converted from weeks to points, reverted back to weeks when the TS was sold via a private resale.

Mike N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.