Point Systems

Points near expiration

Nov 29, 2007

The year is near ended and I still have unused Diamond Resort/Sunterra points. Question is, how does one list them on Redweek since they are not yet committed to a resort/reservation? Thanks for any assistance!.

Agnes G.
Nov 29, 2007

agnes12 wrote:
The year is near ended and I still have unused Diamond Resort/Sunterra points. Question is, how does one list them on Redweek since they are not yet committed to a resort/reservation? Thanks for any assistance!.
============== Unfortunately there is no way to advertise "any Sunterra/Diamond resort". My suggestion is to look at the RedWishes and see if anyone is looking for a unit, which you could reserve with your points. For example, there is a gentleman looking for a January Las Vegas rental.

Another option, which would at least prevent you from losing your points, would be to book the best week possible and either advertising that week OR depositing the week with the RedWeek exchange program.

You can rent Sunterra points through www.myresortnetwork.com, but unless someone specifically searches for Sunterra, a Sunterra Points listing will not be displayed.

Marty, could something be implemented, in the future, to allow this feature? Good Luck

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Nov 29, 2007 05:43 AM

Nov 29, 2007

To Rent Points:

Although RedWeek.com is better structured for the renting of weeks at a particular resort, there are a couple of different ways you may still be able to use the site to rent your points system week. First, if you have a home resort, post your rental on your resort's page like a normal rental posting. If you do not have a home resort, you can take one of the following steps:

1. As long as your points company allows you to transfer weeks you have obtained through their system, post rental ads across several of the resorts you may be able to book. Mention in the "Details" section that you still have to reserve the unit and it may or may not be available. Just make sure you deactivate all of your postings when you have rented one of them.

2. Book a week at what you think is the most desirable resort. Then just post that one week for rent like normal.

To Sell Points:

1. If you have a home resort, add your sale posting to your resort's page like normal. Just be sure to explain in your "Details" section the number of points and the point system being offered.

2. Post a RedWish under the category "Vacation Points for Sale" where you can explain the number of points, point system, and price, and let interested parties contact you directly. As a member, you can post your RedWish at the following link: http://www.redweek.com/account/member/add_redwish/?m=csrwish

3. Browse the RedWish category "Vacation Points Wanted" to see if there are any buyers interested in what you have to offer. If so, you can contact them directly to initiate the sale.

This is our current method of renting and selling points. We realize it's not ideal.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F

Last edited by marty8084 on Nov 29, 2007 03:25 PM

Nov 29, 2007

Marty, Mike - Thanks for suggestions! Have explored some of them. Have been checking RedWishes.

Agnes G.
Nov 30, 2007

If your points expire at the end of 2007, can you even get any reservations at this late date? You may need to bank your week with RCI (or whoever you use). Even when nothing is available for owner reservations, the company can usually pull something to bank out of their back pocket. MD

Mary D.
Nov 30, 2007

......If your points expire at the end of 2007, can you even get any reservations at this late date? You may need to bank your week with RCI (or whoever you use). Even when nothing is available for owner reservations, the company can usually pull something to bank out of their back pocket.

Huh? What? Maybe somebody can clarify just what this comment by adahiscout is all about cause I'm at a loss. I always thought that the points based "thing" was all about exchanging your points for a vacation that you desired at a time that you desired at a location that you desired and for the time period that you could afford...given your points account. If you do not use your points and the points expire....you lose.....simple as that. What am I missing? Thanks.

Redd W.
Dec 01, 2007

daddyd wrote:
......If your points expire at the end of 2007, can you even get any reservations at this late date? You may need to bank your week with RCI (or whoever you use). Even when nothing is available for owner reservations, the company can usually pull something to bank out of their back pocket.

Huh? What? Maybe somebody can clarify just what this comment by adahiscout is all about cause I'm at a loss. I always thought that the points based "thing" was all about exchanging your points for a vacation that you desired at a time that you desired at a location that you desired and for the time period that you could afford...given your points account. If you do not use your points and the points expire....you lose.....simple as that. What am I missing? Thanks.

======== Hmm. Am I still talking to the person who had points to use before the end of the year and was considering renting out space she could not use? (And did not have reserved?)

Guess that was agnes12.

One surely wants to avoid losing the value of your expiring points if you can.

Most if not all timeshare resorts are affiliated with one or more exchange company such as RCI or II through which you can make exchanges into units not in your own resort or resort group. Fairfield/Wyndham, with which I am most familiar, will let you request a deposit to be banked with the exchange company right up to the last day of your use year. They convert remaining points in your account into whatever size unit and season your points will "buy" and deposit that week with the exchange company. Then you then have two years to make an exchange. (Fees are involved when you exchange.) Some resorts may not let you make your deposit that late. In any case, you do not have many other options at this point.

Some few resort groups (Bluegreen, for example) will allow you to roll over unused points from one use year to the next, but there may be limitations to how the "old" points may be used.

Christmas vacation time is usually booked up pretty early and we are already into December. Agnes might be able to reserved a pre-Christmas week but there is little time to try to get it rented.

Not knowing Agnes's resort, I can't say what its exact rules are, but she should certainly contact them and ask whether they have vacancies which she would be eligible to reserve before the end of her use year (to rent) and also what their policy is on how late in your year one can deposit time in an exchange company. If she actually has no exchange company, she really needs to get one! Perhaps the new RedWeek exchange program? Or be very careful in the future to plan far enough ahead to make use of all points each year.

Points are, indeed, very flexible, daddyd, but one needs to plan ahead to get what they want. If you are able to travel "off season", you will get more bang for your buck. (More time; larger unit)

Obviously, every points owner can't get in during the same few high demand weeks. You'll notice many offering on the RedWeek rental boards for floating weeks from both true "float" owners and point owners. Those owners can offer to get interested people whatever dates they want, but there is no guarantee they CAN get them. (Prospective renters should realize this, also, and Place their rental request early if there is no offer already posted for the specific dates they want.) MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Dec 04, 2007 11:27 PM

Dec 02, 2007

agnes12 wrote:
==================== Agnes, can you use your 2007 Sunterra points to book a week in 2008. If so pick a place that has a high demand (Florida spring break, Ski weeks, etc)? Can you use your points to pay for some of your maintenance fees?

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Dec 02, 2007 08:53 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.