Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

New here and looking to buy in Orlando.

Dec 02, 2007

Hello all.... Glad I found this site. My family and I just got back from Florida on Friday.... 80* in Florida and now 30* at home....I'm miserable.

Anyway, I looked and found the exact place and week I'd like to purchase on ebay...it's being sold by a charitable foundation for $100 plus all the fees.

But from what I'm reading on this forum it looks like a PCC? I'm a bit nervous to even bid on it. I looked at the Redweek.com ads but the prices are alot higher and the week I'm looking for really isnt available.

Would most agree to stay clear of ebay TS's or are they pretty safe.

Thanks for helping a newbie with this.

Terry H.
Dec 02, 2007

terryh114 wrote:
Hello all.... Glad I found this site. My family and I just got back from Florida on Friday.... 80* in Florida and now 30* at home....I'm miserable.

Anyway, I looked and found the exact place and week I'd like to purchase on ebay...it's being sold by a charitable foundation for $100 plus all the fees.

But from what I'm reading on this forum it looks like a PCC? I'm a bit nervous to even bid on it. I looked at the Redweek.com ads but the prices are alot higher and the week I'm looking for really isnt available.

Would most agree to stay clear of ebay TS's or are they pretty safe.

Thanks for helping a newbie with this.

=================================

My personal opinion and input follows, since you asked:

1. First of all, if it's being sold by a "charitable foundation", then by definition it is NOT a PCC selling the week. A PCC is a commercial entity which has gotten someone to PAY them to "take the timeshare off their hands".

2. I dislike PCC's, personally, but must admit that PCC's are sometimes a good source for good great deals. I don't like the way they acquired the week in the first place (getting someone to pay them to "take it off their hands"), but if you are willing to overlook that aspect (I'm not, but that's just my own personal viewpoint), there are indeed sometimes good deals available through PCC's.

2. That said, the PCC's make MANY mistakes in their advertising, since they do so much "cutting and pasting" from ad to another. Just make very certain that what you THINK you are buying is indeed EXACTLY reflected in the deed. Also, they sometimes contain errors on usage (annual or every other year), and on maintenance fees (often neither current nor accurate).

In any case, it does not even sound like a PCC to me. It sounds much more like a Resort Closings, Inc. ad on behalf of Donate for a Cause (Resort Closings handles ALL DFC matters). If this is the case, there is no reason to not proceed, just bearing in mind that Resort Closings, while generally competent and honest, is notoriously and painfully SLOW in accomplishing closings. So, if your usage date is within the next two months, it's unlikely you'll officially own the week before then.

Hope this helps you. Good luck.

KC
Dec 02, 2007

Thanks so much....feeling better about it. The usage says Annually and it's set up for next November.

I sent an email asking questions about it, just waiting to hear back.

I've stayed at the Vistana resorts before and they're very nice so that's where I'm looking to buy.

Thanks again for your help

Terry H.
Dec 02, 2007

I'd be curious to know what the name of the seller is? Do they have positive feedback? If so, and you're in agreement with the purchase price, then I say 'go for it'.

Also, speaking of PCC's, I don't like the way they do business either, BUT you can get some great deals on Ebay from them. The people that hand over $3000+ to them to rid themselves of their timeshare obligations probably think it's money well spent since they will no longer be responsible for rising maintenance fees and/or other timeshare obligations such as future special assessments. The PCC's do offer a service at a very steep price.

R P.
Dec 02, 2007

As far as buying from Ebay, there are thousands of timeshare ads on there from honest people. I wouldn't hesitate to buy if the seller feedback was positive.

R P.
Dec 02, 2007

snownsun4ever2 is their ebay name and their feedback is positive.

Terry H.
Dec 02, 2007

When you do find a seller you feel like working with the one problem always seems to show up.

So many people have bought just to find out some of the information on the unit wrong.

Also buying cheap but then paying extra high closing fee's.

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Aug 20, 2008 09:16 AM

Dec 02, 2007

terryh114 wrote:
snownsun4ever2 is their ebay name and their feedback is positive.
====================================

I know that this particular entity (snowsun4ever2, which sells lots of timeshares on eBay) uses Resort Closings, Inc. of Bozeman, Montana to handle ALL of its closings, so my previous advisory on "speed" of closing firmly applies. But if the annual usage is not until next November, speed of closing is not an issue anyhow.

In your shoes, if you do win the bid, I'd next promptly ask to see a copy of the current deed along with the contract, in order to first make CERTAIN that what was represented in the auction listing is indeed EXACTLY the same as what is in the current deed. You don't want to find out AFTER closing that you have purchased something which is very different from what was initially represented in the eBay advertising. Sometimes these resellers don't really know much about what they are selling. I specifically recall that a friend recently contacted this exact same reseller about a place on the east coast of Florida. The person at snowsun4ever2(named Lindsey) who answered his inquiry seemed to be completely unaware that this particular resort has been closed down since 2005 after sustaining damage during Hurricane Wilma, and was still closed down a month ago. He had to find that out elsewhere......

In short, don't be fearful, but DO be very careful. Get the facts, get all the facts, and get accurate facts before you part with your money. Don't forget that even a $1.00 eBay purchase turns into long term ownership and annual maintenance fees, possible special assessments if the resort is old an in need of updating, and/or sustains unexpected storm damage, regardless of the age of the facility.

I don't know Orlando or this particular resort at all, so can't offer intelligent or informed input on that aspect. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 02, 2007 09:26 AM

Dec 02, 2007

Sheraton Vistana Resort - Courts This is where the TS is located....basically 8800 vistana centre drive.

I've stayed at these Vistana before that's why I was looking for them because I've seen the rooms. Plus it's right next to World Dr which makes it easy to get to disney.

I've seen other auctions that mention an assesment but this one does not, I'm pretty sure I asked about that in my email to her.

Also, what about Celebrity Resorts Lake Buena Vista? This is actually right next door to the Sheraton hotel we just stayed at. This is another auction on ebay...

Item # 190178725129

Terry H.
Dec 02, 2007

=terryh114 has asked:

>> Also, what about Celebrity Resorts Lake Buena Vista? << ====================================

Personally, I'd recommend staying completely away from anything associated in any way with Celebrity. While I don't know Orlando or this particular resort, in my opinion Celebrity in general is overall a very poorly managed operation, exhibiting poor business decisions and practicing questionable ethical practices toward owners. I could go on, but I'll just say that there are a whole lot of very unhappy Celebrity owners (and no, I am not one of them). I wouldn't go anywhere near ANYTHING associated with Celebrity, personally.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 02, 2007 08:51 AM

Dec 02, 2007

The Sunterra resorts look pretty good as well. And basically right across the street from the Vistana's. It's a different week than I'd like but still doable. It's also a fixed week. But I did a search and it appears they can be very difficult to trade if I don't sign up for the Sunterra Club for alot of $$$.

Anyone familiar with this and the ability to trade? Our kids are young so Disney will be our trip for awhile.

Terry H.
Dec 02, 2007

Olrlando and surrounding areas (Kissimmee, Clermont and Lake Buena Vista) have more resorts per capita than anywhere else in the entire world, and many of those resorts are gold crown with some of the largest and nices units and amenities available anywhere. There are so many units for sell in the Orlando area, that you should have your choice of which resort to buy at and you have plenty of time to shop since you're interested in next November. Personally, I would never buy at a resort in Orlando unless it was designated as a gold crown, because there are so many resorts to choose from there and why take the chance on a lesser rated resort or section of a resort. Many people don't care about the rating of a resort, but I do.

Many people will tell you not to buy in Orlando ... that you can trade into there with most anything you own, but I disagree with that theory. My theory is to buy where you like to go each year and that way you don't have to worry about joining an exchange company with all the (rising) fees they require (excepting Redweek). You are doing the right thing by looking in the Orlando area only. Also, even Orlando can be hard to get in a trade in very popular seasons and when kids are out of school, especially the higher rated resorts.

I don't know anything about Vistana except what I've read on internet forums, but be sure to buy in an area that is newer and that will not have a special assessment in the future (as someone stated above) and always perform your due diligence before committing to any seller. Good luck in your search.

P.S. We're flying to the Orlando area next Sunday and we're looking forward to seeing all the Christmas decorations and lights.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.