General Discussion

Golf Destination Club?

Dec 19, 2007

Has anyone heard of the Markers Club. They are apparently a high end golf destination club, but I am looking for anyone who might have experience with them before I think to seriously about dealing with them. They are a bit pricey but I figured this would be a good place to look for someone that might have dealt with them. Any info you might have on them would be great.

I am also curious as to what the difference between a destination club and a timeshare is. Does anyone have a good answer for this one?

Thanks

Jim S.
Dec 19, 2007

jims398 wrote:
Has anyone heard of the Markers Club. They are apparently a high end golf destination club, but I am looking for anyone who might have experience with them before I think to seriously about dealing with them. They are a bit pricey but I figured this would be a good place to look for someone that might have dealt with them. Any info you might have on them would be great.

I am also curious as to what the difference between a destination club and a timeshare is. Does anyone have a good answer for this one?

Thanks

=============== Basically you are buying a lifetime membership into an exclusive Vacation Club. Unlike a timeshare, you do not own any tangible piece of property. "A bit pricey" is an understatement considering the initial membership is almost $300,000, with annual dues of over $16,000/year. Info on the internet state membership will be limited to 325. Alledgely, the initial fee is partially refundable and, even though it is a non-equity club, in the event of a sale a portion of the sale price is returned to the members. Other Destination Clubs are also popping up. American Express was recently promoting one via their website with memberships approaching $500,000. It's probably a legitimate offer, but with a limited membership, one wonders have long the Club will be around. Good Luck and Hit 'em straight (or at least less curvy).

Mike N.
Dec 19, 2007

mike1536 wrote:
jims398 wrote:

Thanks

=============== Basically you are buying a lifetime membership into an exclusive Vacation Club. Unlike a timeshare, you do not own any tangible piece of property. "A bit pricey" is an understatement considering the initial membership is almost $300,000, with annual dues of over $16,000/year. Info on the internet state membership will be limited to 325. Alledgely, the initial fee is partially refundable and, even though it is a non-equity club, in the event of a sale a portion of the sale price is returned to the members. Other Destination Clubs are also popping up. American Express was recently promoting one via their website with memberships approaching $500,000. It's probably a legitimate offer, but with a limited membership, one wonders have long the Club will be around. Good Luck and Hit 'em straight (or at least less curvy).

Yeah I was playing down the price a bit. Thanks for clearing up the difference between the two types of vacations though.

Jim S.
Dec 20, 2007

In my opinion, there are so many nice timeshare resorts and non-timeshare resorts all over the world that include golf courses (or nearby courses) that I would never consider a high priced destination club even if I had the money. With a destination club you own nothing and you're at the mercy of the owner(s) and/or management (they are the ones getting rich with your initial 6 figure membership fee and your 5 figure yearly maintenance fees). And, there are cases in the past where destination clubs have gone bankrupt ... I would not take the chance of becoming a member. The above makes the cost of timeshare ownership look like peanuts in comparison (even the most expensive timeshare) to a destination club

If I had the money I would definitely find other things to spend it on other than an ultra expensive destination club. One could buy an entire condo or house for what destination club fees are.

R P.
Jan 10, 2008

I know you guys didnt sound to interested in this club but I found a site that does some reviews. It's below in case anyone cares enough to take a look. Thanks for the good info though.

Jim S.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jan 12, 2008 12:46 AM

Jan 11, 2008

jims398 wrote:
I know you guys didnt sound to interested in this club but I found a site that does some reviews. It's below in case anyone cares enough to take a look. Thanks for the good info though.
============= I've seen the report during my "google" of the club. The concept is interesting…”timesharing for the multi-millionaire”. As I said previously American Express was promoting a Vacation Club, which advertised it as an alternative to buying and maintaining multiple vacation homes around the world. If the cost of joining and maintaining the membership is affordable, then by all means enjoy. Unfortunately, a cost of this nature is beyond my budget. My only advice is to insure that the club is going to be viable for years to come. Good Luck

Mike N.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jan 12, 2008 12:50 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.