Point Systems

Disney Vacation Club....Points Question

Feb 05, 2008

I will be going to the Disney Resort this March, and have been thinking of adding DVC to my Timeshare portfolio (I plan to purchase resale if possible). Can someone tell me the pros / cons of purchasing it resale? Also tell me what I get to use my points for, what charges that are hidden, and what and how maintenance fees are paid. I need to have this to convince my DH to purchase another timeshare.

Lanita P.
Feb 06, 2008

The points for DVC allow you to have a long term lease with Disney. The points can be exchanged for cash via a seller.....and the prices will vary.

Just remember, you will need to know when the lease is up (RTU), because some points will have less years to run on the lease. And the prices for each property vary....Vero Beach & HHI seem to usually cost less than the points backed by the newest units on the Disney properties in Orlando.

All DVC properties have excellent raves by their owners and exchangers from II system. A few complaints indicate small units, and non elevated access....but that is probably minor.

Disney is allowing current points RTU to extend the RTU period for more $$$ per point. It was determined on the tug that it would probably be better finacially to put that same amount into the stock market ( like Disney Stock) and let it grow.....you will do better.

Each point has a maint fee & taxes attached to it. Points owners have no voting rights as to how the units should be run, because they do not own...but they do maintain the entire properties.

You use of the II resorts will be limited....you will not recieve the big book of resorts...but they will have many II & non-II places you could trade to.

Every Leasee I saw with DVC points has always said good things about it....except a few who think it might cost a bit too much in maint. But remember, it seems all the T/S resorts are haveing big increases in maint probably due a bit to rising insurance costs.

Kenneth K.
Feb 07, 2008

Thanks for the feedback. Well after talking with DH he said we should rent points first then decide. He thinks its too expensive since we bought our previous TS resale, but I need to finish my research.

Lanita P.
May 27, 2008

lanitap wrote:
I will be going to the Disney Resort this March, and have been thinking of adding DVC to my Timeshare portfolio (I plan to purchase resale if possible). Can someone tell me the pros / cons of purchasing it resale? Also tell me what I get to use my points for, what charges that are hidden, and what and how maintenance fees are paid. I need to have this to convince my DH to purchase another timeshare.

We have been Disney Vacation Club Owners (DVC) since the mid 90's. It has been the most rewarding experiences we have had. (We own a traditional time share as well) We have used points for the Disney Cruise twice. We have gone alone (just husband and I) we have taken our Family of 10 and have stayed during the most magical times of the year. Thanksgiving, Summer break for the kids and this year we will stay 11 days over the Christmas and New Year. We have stayed in one bed room and the Grand Villa's (3 bed rooms) all over 2,000 sq feet. This year we will stay on the Beach as well in one of their beach cottages they are absolutely beautiful.

We have stayed all over the world and enjoy almost all of our experiences. But there is something special about our Disney experiences.

Also I do like that only those who Own at a particular resort has a 11 month out window which allows you to beat the crowds. For our trip this year we will beging at Old Key West for 5 days and then go to Vero Beach for 3 nights and then to Disney's Newest Resort Animal Kingdom - which has a pool table in the condo for the kids to enjoy.

We don't know how long we will keep our Disney since the kids are growing bigger but for now we are have a wonderful time. Since we live in the Mid west near Chicago, we often use our Disney points to stay down town Chicago to go to the shows and shop which is a wonderful perk.

If you have young children and If you are going to go to Disney then adding to your portfolo is a great idea. We were considering purchasing some additional points for rent this year since I wanted to stay and AKV but we purchased more pointe instead. Hope you stay in March was great.

Linda Abernathy

lindaa138

Last edited by marty8084 on May 27, 2008 05:01 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.