Timeshare Exchanges

Can someone explain "provisional" weeks to me?

Feb 23, 2008

Hello to all, The answer to this question is likely buried in these forums somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I can't figure out what "provisional" weeks are. Obviously, I understand that they are weeks that owners may have in which they will only give up if an acceptable request is found. What I don't understand is how one goes about identifying to Redweek that you are willing to do a provisional week. From there, how is the exchange made? Thanks in advance for the help.

Paul F.
Feb 23, 2008

From Redweek staff member marty:

The provisional weeks were added to RedWeek.com on July 14th. Provisional weeks were added partially in response to customer feedback that people wanted to try the system before committing their week to a deposit. We are unable to take an actual temporary "deposit" and then let the owner take that week back within 3 - 6 months if they can't find the inventory they are looking for, because it is likely that we will not have that person's week to give back to them at the end of that time. So, when an owner does a valuation, we ask them if they have this week reserved, and if they are interested in exchanging it, should they find a suitable exchange. If they say yes, this is shown as a provisional week. When you view the provisional weeks on the site, you can choose to be notified when the week becomes an actual "exchange week" available for booking. Behind the scenes, we combine the data of what you have & what you want in order to make matches that will facilitate a domino exchange effect.

Provisionals are also a way of letting you see what other owners have that might be coming down the pipeline, to help you judge whether or not you'd like to participate in RedWeek Exchange.

Hope this helps explain 'provional weeks' a little better.

Thanks, Marty

R P.
Feb 23, 2008

jayjay wrote:

The provisional weeks ... Hope this helps explain 'provional weeks' a little better.

Thanks, Marty

OK-- thanks, Marty. I am assuming then, that there is no commitment from the persons with provisional weeks. They are simply potential weeks that could potentially be available if someone would find a suitable week. My question would be for those of us with high-dollar weeks, like Frenchman's Cove, Harborside, Maui Ocean Club, etc. -- if we wanted a similar exchange, but none have yet been deposited, how would you get an exchange. All the folks with the coveted weeks are sitting on the sidelines, but wouldn't want to deposit, since there is no inventory with the expensive/highly sought weeks (they seem to be all "provisional"). With Interval, one can do a "request first", where you don't relinquish your week, but you can still make the request and it will happen if available. Is there, or is there any plans to implement, such a system with Redweek? I really think the concept is great, only paying for the value of what you take, but am concerned that the inventory will be mostly less sought after properties. Please educate me if I am in error. Thanks again for the reply

Paul F.
Feb 23, 2008

This provisional list really is just a showcase for Redweek to try and get other owners to make deposits with the hope of getting one of these units.

I doubt many will ever hit the available list if they are great resorts unless there just bad months that no one wants. Many of these resorts have few months of bad weather every year.

I'm also wondering what happens if there is a resort I want on the provisional list and I'm also on this meaningless list?

How does Redweek get the two of us to make the exchange. Also what happens when a owner is told the points they will receive for top resort and then possible deal happens and Redweek has cut their points.

Most owners would tell Redweek where they can stick their point system!

There is work to be done by Redweek to get this exchange moving in right direction.

There was a condo in Colorado this year we had interest in until I found Redweek wanted 2350 points which in honest straight terms means $2350.00.

Why would I give my unit to Redweek and pay more points/money when I could have just gone to the Redweek rental and rented same time span from owner for $700-$1000 for the week.

Redweek seems to have high cost on getting the exchange but low cost on someone making a deposit.

If we had made this exchange we would have been trading down in resorts and giving a holiday week also for a normal summer week(no holiday) and having to pay a extra $550.00 to do this deal!

There is no way this is good deal for timeshare owners but sounds like great money making deal for Redweek!

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Aug 24, 2008 09:39 PM

Feb 24, 2008

paul1557 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

The provisional weeks ... Hope this helps explain 'provional weeks' a little better.

Thanks, Marty

OK-- thanks, Marty. I am assuming then, that there is no commitment from the persons with provisional weeks. They are simply potential weeks that could potentially be available if someone would find a suitable week. My question would be for those of us with high-dollar weeks, like Frenchman's Cove, Harborside, Maui Ocean Club, etc. -- if we wanted a similar exchange, but none have yet been deposited, how would you get an exchange. All the folks with the coveted weeks are sitting on the sidelines, but wouldn't want to deposit, since there is no inventory with the expensive/highly sought weeks (they seem to be all "provisional"). With Interval, one can do a "request first", where you don't relinquish your week, but you can still make the request and it will happen if available. Is there, or is there any plans to implement, such a system with Redweek? I really think the concept is great, only paying for the value of what you take, but am concerned that the inventory will be mostly less sought after properties. Please educate me if I am in error. Thanks again for the reply
=========== You can request an email alert any time a specific resort has a unit for exchange, rent, or sale. Go to the Timeshares for Rent & Sale tab at the top of the page. From here, find the specific resort in which you are interested. Then, on the right side of the page under I Want To, select "Be notified of new postings". While this might be cumbersome, it provides something like II's request first.

Mike N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.