General Discussion

Fight back, get your money back from timeshare

Apr 13, 2008

Anybody watch ABC 20/20 show on 4/11, "royal holiday or royal headache", you can read it at ABC.com. I bought Krystal International Vacation Club at Cancun, was told again and again that you are "guaranteed to rent your one bedroom unit for $2100 a week and K-plus for $1250 a week, 5 weeks a year. You'll make $10500 a year in a couple month. All lies. Let us fight back, call yuor credit card company,fill complain to feral trade commission, better business, Mexico cosumer service.

Steve S.
Apr 13, 2008

I didn't see the show but have read about it on other forums. Please also contact Profeco as they are the consumer protection agency in Mexico:

www.profeco.gob.mx/

R P.
Sep 18, 2013

We were scammed at krystal in puerto Vallarta we have disputed it with our credit card (mastercard) no help there, we've written profeco, Mexican consulate, mexico tourism, but no replies yet. what else would you suggest, we want out, it's destroying our lives. any info would be appreciated. thanks

April H.
Sep 18, 2013

aprilh116 wrote:
We were scammed at krystal in puerto Vallarta...we want out, it's destroying our lives. any info would be appreciated. thanks

What is the scam you're talking about? Was it one of those phone calls that promised they could sell or rent your timeshare if you pay them an upfront fee? Or was it one of those dreaded sales presentations where they tell you that ownership at the resort will be the wisest investment you've ever made?

Lance C.
Sep 18, 2013

aprilh116 wrote:
We were scammed at krystal in puerto Vallarta we have disputed it with our credit card (mastercard) no help there, we've written profeco, Mexican consulate, mexico tourism, but no replies yet. what else would you suggest, we want out, it's destroying our lives. any info would be appreciated. thanks

Was the rescission period listed in your written contract? If so, did you rescind within that period of time?

If there was NO rescission period in your written contract then there is fraud involved (a rescission period is mandated by law). If this was the case then you need to stay in contact with Profeco.

If a rescission period WAS listed in your contract and you did not rescind within that timeframe, then I'm afraid that you don't have a legal leg to stand on.

R P.
Sep 19, 2013

we were fed a bunch of drinks and lied to by the salesman an American and told what a good investment it was, and how we'd be able to pay it off and make some money on it. he knew we were from Edmonton (first time to mexico) said a guy from Calgary bought 10 of them as an investment. 3 months after we got back I finally got a computer and internet, and found out it was all lies. Krystal will not take responsibility for their salesman's unethical sales tactics. we are trying to just get our contract cancelled, no refund, but they are all a bunch of rip off artists, and apparently mexico is corrupt. so we don,t know what to do anymore, its a nightmare.

April H.
Sep 20, 2013

aprilh116 wrote:
we were fed a bunch of drinks and lied to by the salesman an American and told what a good investment it was, and how we'd be able to pay it off and make some money on it. he knew we were from Edmonton (first time to mexico) said a guy from Calgary bought 10 of them as an investment. 3 months after we got back I finally got a computer and internet, and found out it was all lies. Krystal will not take responsibility for their salesman's unethical sales tactics. we are trying to just get our contract cancelled, no refund, but they are all a bunch of rip off artists, and apparently mexico is corrupt. so we don,t know what to do anymore, its a nightmare.

Old saying from the timeshare educated, "if a timeshare salesperson moves their lips they're lying".

Again, it's only what's in the written contract that counts in a court of law no matter what country. Have you read over your contract?

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Sep 20, 2013 08:55 AM

Jan 14, 2014

3 months???.. you should have been looking on line 3 days later.. uneducated consumers are where they make the most money and they pay lawyers big buck to make sure that happens.

Carl N.
Feb 06, 2014

Does anyone have any lawsuit information pertaining to Land`Or? They are total scammers in the Bahamas. We were given LESS than 10 days to pay a "Special Assessment" of $1500.00 (by December 15th 2013) or the chance to pay $2300.00 over ten months and no credible information was included as to WHY. We wrote them and when getting no response - called them and told - you signed the contract now pay up. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Sheryl W.
Feb 07, 2014

sherylw53 wrote:
Does anyone have any lawsuit information pertaining to Land`Or? They are total scammers in the Bahamas. We were given LESS than 10 days to pay a "Special Assessment" of $1500.00 (by December 15th 2013) or the chance to pay $2300.00 over ten months and no credible information was included as to WHY. We wrote them and when getting no response - called them and told - you signed the contract now pay up. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Two of the main negatives when purchasing any timeshare is that you are then responsible for paying yearly maintenance fees and possible special assessments. Resorts charge special assessments to owners when they need to renovate or upgrade a major section of the resort that maintenance fees do not cover.

R P.
Sep 10, 2019

Last year 2018 Lifestyle Changes holiday Resort in Santo Domingo I feel like they drugged me and hypnotize me and took my $15,000 by the way when I woke up I was in my room in the basketball game was playing and some papers with a folder was on the floor and I don't remember getting there I pick up the folder looked at it and realize shortly that they pulled a fast one on me I usually don't drink it all cuz I also on my ulcers okay I took two drinks and a beer on every question are you relaxing on vacation now the next thing I know I feel like I was saying no but I will still doing something and signing something I don't really remember what it looks like a fog of London Fog I came to oil in my room sitting in the chair the basketball game with all the folder was on the floor that's what I realize they took $15 every fuse and give it back to me within the next day and playing the 15,000 this evening give you nothing back that's the lifestyle Resort in Santo Domingo like I said I asked my money a thousand time they said no and I gave me nothing back

Michael T.

Last edited by phyl21 on Sep 10, 2019 08:13 AM

Sep 10, 2019

You may consider revising and making that a tad more coherent.

NoOneYouKnow
Apr 22, 2020

Do you know if profeco charges a fee for representation & retrieving money you’ve been scammed of?

Cynthia C.
Apr 28, 2020

Profesco is ineffective

Teresa W.
Apr 29, 2020

teresaw244 wrote:
Profesco is ineffective

It's PROFECO --- and your blanket statement is simply incorrect. However, to be clear, PROFECO can / will help ONLY when serious seller impropriety is involved, such as a seller failing to provide the buyer with notice of their rescission rights (as is required by law), or a seller having a buyer "waive" their rescission rights (outright illegal), or a seller plying prospective buyers with alcohol, etc., etc.

PROFECO cannot and will not help when it is simply a matter of "buyer's remorse" where no seller impropriety occurred. A bad purchase decision made while in "vacation brain" but regretted later is certainly unfortunate personal behavior, but not legally actionable and not PROFECO's responsibility to address in any way.

That being said, I would never touch any Mexican RTU timeshare purchase with a ten foot pole --- not even if it was offered to me for free and with a big handful of U.S. Benjamins also thrown in.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 03, 2020 08:21 AM

Apr 29, 2020

I have been scammed while trying resale a timeshare. Company supposedly is in New York but all the upfront fees I’ve been charged are going to Mexican accounts. Didn’t know anything about resale so fail for it. Now thousands of dollars in, I've seen nothing. I saw on another post that someone experienced the same thing & profeco assisted with getting their money back & a compensation. Sent an email to the address (which is to someone in sectur)the person here provided & someone replied & called that can help me but I have to pay $4080 usd for administrative fees. Seems sketchy cuz the wire info that he gave me is to an individual in Guadalajara & not the Mexican government. I wanted to see if anyone can guide me to the right direction.

Cynthia C.
Apr 30, 2020

cynthiac438 wrote:
Sent an email to the address (which is to someone in sectur)the person here provided & someone replied & called that can help me but I have to pay $4080 usd for administrative fees. Seems sketchy cuz the wire info that he gave me is to an individual in Guadalajara & not the Mexican government. I wanted to see if anyone can guide me to the right direction.

I certainly don't know who you contacted and I also have no idea from whom you obtained that contact info ("the person here provided it"), but whoever contacted you in response is obviously just another scammer, likely closely associated with the first scammer who already successfully fleeced you. The second scammers might even be the very same people as the first scammers for all you know, coming back to "help" you (...out of more of your money).

You have already been scammed once, so don't fall for a second scam --- and don't pay any amount of money to anyone who makes vague claims that they can "help" you. The only "help" that you will ever get from such scammers is instructions on how to wire away more money that you will never see again and cannot trace --- with no other result.

The truth is that if this involves a Mexican RTU timeshare, all you really have to do is STOP PAYING. You certainly will never get back a penny of what you have paid out so far, but at least you can stop sending good money after bad. There is nothing the Mexican timeshare operations can or will do to you except to terminate your right to use the property in the future. So what?

Stop paying, absorb the lessons and move on. No magical solutions to bad personal decisions are going to arrive on your doorstep.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 03, 2020 04:38 PM

May 18, 2020

You may consider revising and making that a tad more coherent.

------------------------ abc

Boby B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.