Travel Tips & Advice

Plan ahead for San Diego vacation

Apr 23, 2008

My friends went to San Diego last year without first checking out what the weather would be like. Don’t even ask me how their experience was! It was a sheer mess.

They landed up in the middle of the rains, got soaked and caught the chill. Since they had heard of pleasant weather of San Diego, they weren’t carrying any woolens. Secondly, they hadn’t hunted for some affordable San Diego lodging and ended up spending more than they had intended to.

Feeling miserable and cursing their callousness, my pals returned wiser but without the pleasant memories of the dream beach vacation they had planned to have.

It is true that San Diego is famed for its pleasant weather, but that is not always the case. When it rains, it pours in San Diego. And the temperature plunges in minutes. A little planning is thus very important before you set off for any vacation. Do your homework on what you would need to pack for San Diego before you take off for a vacation there.

If you are planning to tour the place between November and February, don’t forget to carry warm clothes, rain jacket and an umbrella. The weather is generally super in San Diego but evenings can get cold. It is always better to carry along a light sweater or a jacket.

San Diego remains warm most of the time. If you tan easily, don’t forget to take along your sun screen lotion and sunglasses to prevent sunburn. Also pack in a pair of comfortable walking shoes, a set of binoculars and your camera. San Diego’s breathtaking natural beauty is a photographer’s delight.

Proper planning greatly reduces the chances of any troubles later on. So do your research and adequate planning. Book your rooms beforehand in an affordable San Diego lodging facility. Choose a hotel that is near to most of the tourist attractions of San Diego and offers complementary breakfast. If you plan ahead, you can check out some attractive travel packages and discount schemes too.

Donald R.
Apr 23, 2008

Actually, I disagree. It rarely "pours" here. Matter of fact, what they consider rain in San Diego qualifies as "drizzle" in my childhood home of Connecticut.

Winter is our rainy season and we typically get somewhere around 10 inches of rain per year (which is really a small amount). The winter months tend to be 60s during the days and can get down to the high 40s at night. Last year we had a few nights that made it past the freezing mark. Our winter months tend to be hazy in the mornings with the marine layer burning off in the late morning/early afternoon.

One of the things to be aware of is: because it rains here so infrequently oil and rubber acculumate on the roads and when it rains it lifts making the roads very slippery.

There are plenty of activities to keep you busy year round, however San Diego is not really a beach destination during the winter months.

Bobbi O.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.