Timeshare Exchanges

Question about how a resale Marriott owner exchanges thur II compared to a direct purchase Marriott owner

Jun 23, 2008

The direct purchase owner is allowed to view Marriott exchange deposits for 24 days from the deposit date before non-Marriott owners are able to see the deposit. Is a resale Marriott owner treated like "other II members" who do not see Marriott deposits for their first 24 days, or do Marriott resale owners immediately see Marriott deposits like Marriott direct purchase owners?

Peter C.
Nov 30, 2009

I have traded my resale Marriott TS with II and have found no difference with the trading of my Marriott property.... they are essentially equal except for the internal trade for Marriott Rewards Points...(not available for resales). The Hilton (HGVC) properties do not distinguish between resales and developer units and allow the additional flexibility to trade for HiltonHonors Points...I hope Marriott changes their program to match that.

Douglas A.
Feb 18, 2010

There are reports (notably on TUG's website) about changes coming in June of 2010 in the Marriott world. From what I read there Marriott will move from a "weeks" program to a "points" approach perhaps similar to the Hilton (HGVC) approach... however, unlike the Hilton program, Marriott will reportedly differentiate between those who bought directly from Marriott and those who bought "resale" from current owners. The rumor is that they will offer current owners an opportunity to "upgrade" their weeks membership for the ability to internally trade without Interval International...the cost of upgrade will be minimal for those who directly purchased from Marriott...and significantly higher for resale owners. This will have the effect of lowering the value of the asset by current members, as buyers will undoubtedly adjust their bids and offers for these properties. I imagine that Interval will continue to provide trades for non-upgrading Marriott owners but it is unclear what will happen to the preferential treatment for Marriott to Marriott exchanges.

We will all have to wait until the actual roll out of this "improvement"... if you bought from Marriott and have a Platinum week you should like what you see...if you are resale or own a lesser desirable season...not so much.

Douglas A.
Mar 11, 2010

Wow very interesting. How did you find out about this class differentiation that Marriott is going to impose beginning in June clearly distinguishing between direct versus resale ownership? Could you provide a reference? Sounds like this could hinge on discrimination and set up the possibility for trouble down the road for resale owners.

Margie B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.