Point Systems

Redweek points vs. RCI points

Oct 23, 2008

Was wondering if anyone has any experience in the differences between the two- It appears you more limited with RW but more straighfoward and honest then RCI? Any import would be great...

Chris R.
Oct 23, 2008

The only advantage I see with Redweek is that the exchange fee is a bit cheaper, no charge for a guest fee, and you have three years to use your points.

The actual Redweek inventory is very limited (you cannot include "Provisional weeks" as these may never materialize). Much of the availability is during the off season.

Using both RCI and Redweek points you can stretch your value by traveling during the off season, getting reserving a smaller unit, or reserving at a lower rated resort. If you have 2000 RedWeek points and travel on short notice you could get 3-5 vacations. If you have 60000 RCI points and take advantage of the 7500-9000 pt vacations you could take 6-8 vacations.

With RCI, you can book a unit for a period other than 7 days and possibly check in on a day other than Friday-Sunday, which you cannot do with RedWeek.

If you deposit a prime week at a high demand resort, such as Marriott, and you were looking for an equal exchange, you might be disappointed with the RedWeek program.

IMHO, Redweek valuations are not too consistent. For example, I own a summer TS in central NH. There was an exchange listing for a similar TS in the same vicinity, with a springtime (lower demand) check in that was a few thousand points higher than my valuation. The date for my request was 9 mos to a year prior to check in, so the "low" value was not due to a late deposit. The bottom line was if I wanted to exchange into that "similar" resort, it would've cost me $200-$300 extra to buy the points. I wasn't asking for the world, I was only looking for consistency.

Another example...Redweek valued a SUMMER Palm Springs Marriott at over 2000 pts (summer in the CA desert is not quite a high demand season). With II, I could've exchanged my summer NH unit for the summer Palm Springs Marriott. With Redweek, the same trade would've cost me several hundred $$$ to buy the extra points.

That being said, many RedWeek members have been happy with their RedWeek exchanges. My suggestion is to submit your resort for a free valuation and then do some searches for potential exchanges. Then and only then can you determine if the program will work for you. I still keep an open mind and would use the program if something interesting ever pops up.

One final note...If you own at a Points Resort then Redweek cannot accept your unit for exchange (unless they changed the policy)

Good Luck

Mike N.
Nov 02, 2008

I appreciated your comments and evaluation.

Rich C.
Apr 20, 2018

Can I just buy points?

Anna M.
Nov 09, 2018

Hi, Hoping you can help me.

I have a substantial amount of rci points that I am wanting to swap for a weeks accommodation in Hawaii 2019 in May. There are no avail units for the dates I need to travel through RCI.

Am i able to sell/swap Rci points for their week accommodation?

how do I do this?

Melissa K.

Last edited by melissak388 on Nov 09, 2018 07:46 PM

Nov 13, 2018

melissak388 wrote:
I have a substantial amount of rci points that I am wanting to swap for a weeks accommodation in Hawaii 2019 in May. There are no avail units for the dates I need to travel through RCI.

Am i able to sell/swap Rci points for their week accommodation?

With all due respect, I think that you have answered your own question. If there is no availability, then there is no availability. No amount of points (or money) can magically create space availability when or where it simply does not currently exist.

Are you able to initiate a ongoing search with RCI using a "points" account? I'm personally not sure if that is even a possibility, as it is for a "weeks" (i.e., non-points) account, where a "deposited" week and its' allotted TPU's can be used to initiate a "ongoing search" with RCI. If ongoing search is an option, you would at least have your "hat in the ring" if anything became available, whereas a one time and / or occasional call offers much less chance of success. Ongoing searches take priority over all stand-alone inquiries. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 14, 2018 04:31 AM

Nov 14, 2018

national and state timeshare laws and strict regulations are not easily found. THEY ARE ESSENTIAL TO STOP THE FRAUD AND THIEVERY OF VERY MANY TIMESHARES COMPANIES. CONTACT YOUR STATE AND NATIONAL LEGISLATORS AND DEMAND THAT STRINGENT TIMESHARE LAWS MUST BE ENACTED AND STRICTLY ENFORCED.

Chris V.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.