Point Systems

Are all points systems created equal?

Jan 12, 2009

I am looking at purchasing some type of timeshare or points soon, and have seen huge differences in the points offered by one company to the other. I saw one timeshare for sale that said it offered 189000 Fairshare Plus points, and another that said 5,000 Interval International points. I can't seem to find anything out about the two. I guess that the Fairshare points are on a different and much higher point system than II? I had sat in on a point presentation by II where they offered to sell me 5,000 points a year for x amount of dollars. If there is a difference between all points systems, where can you go to see how many points you need, or how many points each different resort condos take to rent?

Blake R.
Jan 13, 2009

blaker7 wrote:
I am looking at purchasing some type of timeshare or points soon, and have seen huge differences in the points offered by one company to the other. I saw one timeshare for sale that said it offered 189000 Fairshare Plus points, and another that said 5,000 Interval International points. I can't seem to find anything out about the two. I guess that the Fairshare points are on a different and much higher point system than II? I had sat in on a point presentation by II where they offered to sell me 5,000 points a year for x amount of dollars. If there is a difference between all points systems, where can you go to see how many points you need, or how many points each different resort condos take to rent?

Each resort has it's own point system. Fairfield (Wyndham) trades with RCI, but the points are not 1 to 1. There is some conversion factor to trade with RCI Points. There is a Wyndham thread on TUG (tugbbs.com) where someone can explain better than I can. The last I knew, II does not use a Points system. Certain resort systems such as Diamond and DVC uses points to trade within their system, and an owner can also trade with II (Diamond would deposit a week into the system on behalf of the owner). If II went to a Points system like RCI Points, it is news to me?

For RCI Points you can look at their online directory (don't have to be a member) and see the point values for various resorts.

Mike N.
Jan 13, 2009

Good question. Mike has answered the question well and that answer is a resounding NO.

The key thing to acknowledge and understand is that each system has its own "currency" for its own internal "points" program. Just as dollars, pesos, rupees, euros and yen are all completely different "currencies", Hyatt points, RCI points, HGVC points and Wyndham Fairshare Plus points are all completely different and unrelated "currencies" too. None has any "value" relationship whatsoever to any other one. It's confusing, to be sure, but that's just the way it is. Don't make yourself crazy trying to "equate" the points of one system with another, because no such relationship exists. Focus on where you might want to go and what it takes to get there. Only then should you be shopping. Don't put the cart in front of the horse, or you could end up making some very expensive mistakes which are difficult to "undo".

Mike is also correct that II does not employ a "points" program. They never did and, to my knowledge, have no plans to do so.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 13, 2009 07:22 AM

Feb 05, 2009

I am still confused, thanks for the reassurance that this is confusing! Are RedWeek points in any way related to RCI points?

Deborah W.
Feb 06, 2009

deborah659 wrote:
I am still confused, thanks for the reassurance that this is confusing! Are RedWeek points in any way related to RCI points?
NO.

The only thing related is that they use the same concept, but they (and all points systems) are entirely different.

With both RCI and Redweek you get points from which you make TS reservations. Both systems are mutually exclusive.

Mike N.
Feb 27, 2009

The best way to get a handle on 'the exchange rate' is to look at what Week X in location Y at resort Z has as its stated "points required", look at the other system and see what it shows as "points required".

This could give you a general indication of "System 1 is generally 5 times the points of System 2"

Do please note, whatever you find on such research will not necessarily apply to every resort, every season, blah blah blah. The different points systems can change points required at any time for any reason.

You really must consider each system on its own merits.

Where do you want to go? Let's say Hawaii in January. Great, take a look at Hawaii in January to determine points required for System 1. Determine how much that amount of points would cost, both upfront cost and ongoing maintenance. Do the same with each system you are considering. That will give you a basic idea of what each system "costs".

**** BUT you must understand that each resort has a different, mmm, Desireability, so unless you settle on, say 5*, for each system, your results will not be that helpful (and even 5 star resorts vary - if you look at rental cost per night on a public site, that could shed some light on desirability). You could go the opposite spectrum: what's it take to get the lowest pointed HI resort in this system? Whatever, just do your best to compare apples to apples to get the most reliability.

Just do not expect points systems to be interchangeable. Like another poster alluded to, that's like expecting US dollars and Mexican pesos to be equivalent. ain't never gonna happen!!

Vicki Y.
Mar 03, 2009

Firstly, let's understand WHY RCI, II and the miriad of 'exchange' plans (points, whatever) were born (invented, if you prefer). TEN Years (or more) ago, there was NO Internet (FREE International Communication). Before eBay (and RedWeek) nearly ALL Sales (advertisement) was thru newspapers, radio and TV..... (limited exposure and EXPENSIVE). RCI and II offered a 'good alternative' to TS Owners who chose to 'trade' their accomodations with owners at 'alternate locations'...(for a fee). However, in 2009 the 'need' for RCI and II, (points, exchanges, banking, etc) has ABSOLUTELY been ELIMINATED!... (Simply advertise YOUR Unit for rent/sale and use the proceeds to buy whatever you prefer. Nothing is more simple than trading $$$$$$$$$$)

Timesahares are NOT like used automobiles nor second hand furniture.... they are more like supermarket fruits and vegetables.... they ALL have an Expiry Date.

Suppose you had a bag of bananas, but preferred grapes. WHY would you INCIST on finding someone with grapes (for TRADING) before Selling your bananas? The chance of two individuals having bananas or grapes (and wanting to have the other) are remote.... but worse, how could they agree on how many of each would be similar in value? (before one or both became outdated).

EXCHANGE Agents have Outlived their need. REDWEEK provides a PERFECT service... (pay for an advert that can be accessed by EVERYONE in the World, at a Very reasonable rate). KISS!!!

Donald D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.