May 26, 2009

I recently bought a timeshare that does not work on points or specific weeks. With it, I am also able to travel, for a low fee, to any one of the resorts around the world in the program (2000+ currently). I can send my friends or family on these getaways. Is there anything wrong with selling these weeks on redweek.com? They are not exchange weeks or my personal weeks. They are extra weeks I can book at a resort just for the purpose of traveling. Also, where would I get a rental agreement to sell these getaways to my "friends?" Thanks.

Mark B.
May 27, 2009

markb548 wrote:
I recently bought a timeshare that does not work on points or specific weeks. With it, I am also able to travel, for a low fee, to any one of the resorts around the world in the program (2000+ currently). I can send my friends or family on these getaways. Is there anything wrong with selling these weeks on redweek.com? They are not exchange weeks or my personal weeks. They are extra weeks I can book at a resort just for the purpose of traveling. Also, where would I get a rental agreement to sell these getaways to my "friends?" Thanks.
If the weeks are purchased directly from the resort, then check with the resort as to their policy for "selling" (renting) the weeks. If the weeks are purchased from an exchange company such as RCI or II, the you are not permitted to resell the weeks. Once you determine if you are able to rent the weeks, there are links on RedWeek and TUG to help you with the process.

Mike N.
Aug 22, 2022

During my sales presentation I was told that I could list the getaway weeks on Airbnb. I'm trying to find out if this is true because I planned it to use that Revenue to pay for my Vacation ownership membership. I'll be working very hard over the next week or so to find out.

Deneene C.
Aug 22, 2022

deneenec wrote:
During my sales presentation I was told that I could list the getaway weeks on Airbnb. I'm trying to find out if this is true because I planned it to use that Revenue to pay for my Vacation ownership membership. I'll be working very hard over the next week or so to find out.

Both RCI and Interval International expressly prohibit the rental of exchanges, Last Calls, Getaways, etc. in their written terms and conditions of membership, which can be very easily retrieved and verified in a matter of minutes without any need to be "working very hard over the next week or so to find out".

That sales weasel was either knowingly lying to you or innocently mistaken, but still 100% wrong in either case.

II and RCI are exchange companies, each providing access to timeshare weeks for their members. Understandably, neither company allows its’ members to attempt to turn that access into quests for personal financial gain by selling or renting obtained weeks that members do not actually “own” in the first place, but have instead obtained by "exchange", Getaways, Last Calls, etc. Weeks obtained through those various avenues are provided for II and RCI members' one-time, non-commercial, personal use. Such weeks are not owned by the member, so the member cannot sell or rent any such non-owned weeks to anyone else, since those weeks are simply not theirs to sell or rent out to begin with.

Surely not what you want to hear, but you can easily verify that this info is 100% accurate, whether or not “welcome”.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 25, 2022 09:05 AM

Oct 21, 2022

I bought getaway from 9 December 2022 to 16 December 2022

Hamed A.
Oct 21, 2022

hameda5 wrote:
I bought getaway from 9 December 2022 to 16 December 2022

If you have a membership with Interval International and "bought" a Getaway week directly from II, that's perfectly fine. Enjoy!

If you do not belong to Interval International and you "bought" a Getaway week from someone other than II, that person is "selling" the Getaway in clear violation of the terms and conditions of their II membership --- and you are (even if unknowingly) engaging in a specifically prohibited practice. If caught, you could be denied occupancy and the person from whom you "bought" that Getaway could have their II membership suspended or terminated. It's a risk for both participants in that prohibited practice. Just sayin'...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 21, 2022 07:12 AM

Nov 04, 2022

If I can do/buy Guest passes for my exchange, how does that effect things?

Richard C.
May 03, 2023

I was contacted by a person wanting me to sell my get-away interval days. I had never heard of this before the call. So, I'm asking your advise/opinion, is this a scam or legit? I was asked to buy the getaway I have available and then this person would sell them to corporations for conventions. Sounded like a scam to me. Donna M

Donna M.
May 03, 2023

For starters, it is strictly prohibited to rent or sell II exchanges or “Getaways” (or RCI exchanges or “Extra Vacations ”) at all. Period, amen.

P.S. Corporations do not acquire timeshare getaways for conventions. While it is certainly a somewhat humorous claim, it is also utterly false. It just doesn’t happen.

In short — Run, run away…

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 04, 2023 05:29 PM

May 03, 2023

donnam1492 wrote:
...is this a scam or legit? Sounded like a scam to me.

It is a scam.

Lance C.
Oct 07, 2023

we have booked a week at a resort in Ft. Lauderdale and our schedule is not going to allow us to utilize the week - is there a way to sell it to another individual ?

Kurt B.
Oct 07, 2023

What exactly do mean by “booked”? Is this "booked" week one that you obtained from either RCI or II? If so, then you cannot rent it to anyone else, per RCI and II terms and conditions of membership. You can purchase a guest certificate from either exchange company to allow a (specifically named in advance) person to use that week in your place, but you cannot rent out any week that you obtained as an “exchange” from either RCI or II.

If you are renting that "booked" week, your rental contract most likely prohibits any form of “sub-lease” to anyone else. After all, if you don’t actually own that week, then that week is simply not yours to rent out to someone else — unless a "sub lease" is allowed with the full knowledge and overtly expressed (written) authorization and consent of the actual owner of that week with whom you have your currently existing rental agreement.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 08, 2023 11:07 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.