Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club

Resale - NO points and NO trades within Marriott

Nov 08, 2009

I got out of a presentation last week and found out some interesting news. Within the next couple of years Marriott is scheduled to be out of Interval International. In addition to not allowing a 'secondary market' unit to trade in for points you will not be able to trade your unit within the Marriott system. The units will have to be banked with Interval. Only Marriott owners will be able to trade directly into Marriott Vacation Clubs. The only other way to get a Marriot unit would be if a secondary market purchaser banks it with Interval and you happen to find it. One good thing out of this is that Marriott will 'value' your unit based on location, rooms, ocean front/view etc when you want to trade. As you know Interval doesn't always take your deposit into consideration when giving you options for exchanges. Is it worth it? I still can't decide.

Lavelle B.
May 17, 2010

Yes, its called a points-based timeshare system. Others in the timeshare industry have already been doing this. It's important that existing owners educate themselves on this topic. Be wary - not everyone thinks this points-based system is a good idea.

see http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=16573

Gregory B.
Mar 09, 2011

Does anyone here know the developer's last "retail" pricing at Marriott's Waiohai?

Robert B.
Mar 09, 2011

During my presentation I was offered an ocean view annual for $24,000.

Lavelle B.
May 05, 2011

What are the maintneance fees on top of this? Why would a person want to give someone that kind of money for one week a year plus maintenance fees? Seems to me like a person should just travel when and where they want each year with the dividends and interest made on ones own money...?

Debi C.
May 17, 2011

I own 4 weeks of Waiohai and feel educated enough to comment: I would not buy a time-share of anyone's again. I bought in the first year and the dues were $950; my latest is $1,547 for 2011. Knowing what I know now, I would rent someone else's week(s) for their dues plus a little more. I bought when I had more money but less brains. I was caught up in the beauty of the place and the fact that unless I was an owner, I wasn't getting to stay here. Now that there are plenty of owners, that's not a problem. Marriott only does what is good for Marriott. If you think otherwise, grab your dunce cap.

Marshall B.
May 17, 2011

If you go to Redweek's resale column, an annual week ocean view is $13,900 and an island view is $8,000. If anyone is dumb enough to pay Marriott their price, then you're back in LA-LA land of more money than brains. Folks, all the units are the same, except for the views. The lowest asking bid is the one you need to buy. The lowest sets the pace (or should). There's no reason to buy higher. Your dues will be the same. Ask Marriott if they will buy your unit back for any amount of money and watch the agent grab his sides and roll on the floor, laughing.

Marshall B.
Jan 06, 2012

lavelleb wrote:

Last Ocean View Waiohai Annual was $47500. That was June 2010. You must be thinking of bi-annual (odd or even)

Jeremy I.
Jan 06, 2012

you really think so?

Marshall B.
Mar 03, 2012

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject of maintenance fees. Can Marriott Waiohai raise the maintenance fees at any time? Is there a cap on how high they can go? I own at Waiohai and am considering selling my timeshare. When I looked at the re-sales on Redweek I noticed that the maintenance fees on the same rentals: Ocean View, Annual, vary from $1480 - $1650. Any insight on this?

Kathy R.

Last edited by kathyr311 on Mar 03, 2012 08:07 AM

Oct 16, 2012

My understanding from talking to their sales office is that the the annual maintenance dues fluctuate according to actual expenses, so in effect there is no ceiling except as limited by actual expenses. They do not make money on the annual dues, just meet expenses as determined by the Board, which consists of owners who want to keep expenses down, but also keep the place top notch. As fuel costs go up, and inflation kicks in, you can expect annual dues to increase as they have in the past. I think they should install a geothermal heating/cooling system, with solar for increased electrical load, and they would eliminate propane costs and electical bills. But that's just me.

kathyr311 wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance on the subject of maintenance fees. Can Marriott Waiohai raise the maintenance fees at any time? Is there a cap on how high they can go? I own at Waiohai and am considering selling my timeshare. When I looked at the re-sales on Redweek I noticed that the maintenance fees on the same rentals: Ocean View, Annual, vary from $1480 - $1650. Any insight on this?

Jay S.
May 29, 2013

If you buy timeshare points on the secondary market does Marriott treat them the same as points bought directly from them?

James M.
Jun 28, 2013

All I know is I'm losing more than 1/2 of my value for my timeshares if I sell them with or without Marriott. I own 2 weeks odd and marriott said they do not want them. It's a joke.

Sharon E.
Jun 28, 2013

Hahaha I agree - it's a joke they are not worth anything!

Sharon E.
Jul 30, 2013

If you bought from Marriott and are now selling, you are losing way more than half - probably closer to 75%.

Terry H.

Last edited by terry314 on Jul 30, 2013 01:27 PM

Jan 09, 2015

Sorry, this is a blatant lie. I worked for Marriott at the Waiohai from 2006 to 2012 and the annual Ocean Views were NEVER $24,000 from the developer. Opening day prices during pre-construction were higher than that.

lavelleb wrote:

Chuck T.
Jan 09, 2015

It isn't nice to call someone a lier. It was but for every other year. We were going to split the total with our parents. If you can't be civil please don't post.

Lavelle B.
Jan 09, 2015

Then stick to the facts, you DID state every year. And I never called you a liar, I said the statement was a lie, and it was. Saying it isn't true or that it is a lie are exactly the same thing. Maybe timeshare isn't for you but it is for many people.

lavelleb wrote:
It isn't nice to call someone a lier. It was but for every other year. We were going to split the total with our parents. If you can't be civil please don't post.

Chuck T.

Last edited by chuckt36 on Jan 09, 2015 07:50 AM

Dec 26, 2015

Looking to buy in Kauai and from the post of many, it is worth buying a timeshare? It is best to buy from owner or Marriott?

How much is a two bedroom every year and every other year? It is better to buy every year or every other year?

Kim O.
May 08, 2016

I'm interested in purchasing a week or two at the Waiohai. Are there going to be any problems that wouldn't be obvious to me? For example two of my friends own at the Marriott Maui and the other in Newport Beach Ca. Both purchased from Marriott, the one in Newport purchased two Christmas/New Years weeks, both have said it is very tricky and difficult to get the weeks in the summer, they have to call at 6 am a year out etc, (even the one in Newport has trouble and he has two weeks). Will I have problems securing a summer week if I only own one eoy unit? I have heard that my room assignment will likely be in the back overlooking the pond if I purchase a garden view eoy unit, so I am considering purchasing two ocean view rooms. Any suggestions or opinions?

David H.

Last edited by davidh918 on May 08, 2016 03:37 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.