Apr 06, 2012

Has anyone actually bought into the point system and think it has benefited them? We purchased our Maui Ocean Club on resale and don't think it woud be worth it for us to convert to the point system. Has anyone found otherwise? I see more downside (fees) than upside (flexible dates).

Tonja N.
Apr 07, 2012

If you look on the forums at Timeshare Users Group (tug2.net) you will find lots who do and lots that don't. It all depends on how you use your unit.

Charles S.
May 17, 2012

We also bought on the resale market--if you purchased after June 2010 you cannot add the points. You do not convert but simply add to the usage you currently have. We did add the points at a cost of $1495--reson is that we have 2 one bed ocean front units and they are worth 4200 pts each or a total of 8400 pts. With that amount of points you can go to numerous places or we can stay one week in the ocean front and 2 weeks in a garden studio, so we can stretch out our time since we are close to retirement. Also we could go to Palm Springs (for ex or Phoenix) and stay for over a month.......it just gives us the option.

Mark R.
Aug 17, 2012

Could you clarify what you meant about the points: If you bought on the resale market; can you convert them to the points?

markr99 wrote:
We also bought on the resale market--if you purchased after June 2010 you cannot add the points. You do not convert but simply add to the usage you currently have. We did add the points at a cost of $1495--reson is that we have 2 one bed ocean front units and they are worth 4200 pts each or a total of 8400 pts. With that amount of points you can go to numerous places or we can stay one week in the ocean front and 2 weeks in a garden studio, so we can stretch out our time since we are close to retirement. Also we could go to Palm Springs (for ex or Phoenix) and stay for over a month.......it just gives us the option.

Scott T.
Aug 18, 2012

scottt208 wrote:
Could you clarify what you meant about the points: If you bought on the resale market; can you convert them to the points?

markr99 wrote:

We are talking about the Marriott timeshare system. I am not sure if you are an owner, but if you are you should be aware of it. If not I will try to explain this to you.

Marriott since its inception sold timeshare units in weeks. You got a one week purchase for a certain time of year. In June 2010, Marriott changed from selling weeks to points in their new Destination Club (DC). If you are in the DC, you buy points and you can use the points to stay at on of Marriotts time share resorts as long as you have enough of them. Also with points, you can stay longer or shorter than a week. In addition, you can also use the points to go on tours, cruises, and other travel services in what Marriott calls their Exploration Collection. Those of us who bought in weeks, were given the opportunitiy to be able to convert to points if we wanted to and we would be able to change to points any year we desired or to just use our week like we always have. Many like myself chose to have that option. We can use our points to stay at another Marriott resort and stay there for longer or shorter than a week. We have all the benefits of a points owner. Those who bought resale before June 20, 2010 (not sure of the exact day in June but it's around that day.) were also allowed to join the points system. Many have done that and have all of the benefits as those who bought from directly from Marriott. If you bought a resale after that June 2010, you are not allowed to participate in the points system with your Marriott timeshare and thus not eligible for the conversion of points and the DC benefits.

Charles S.
Sep 21, 2012

I purchased a platinum Shadow Ridge timeshare several years ago and have always been able to trade thru II using the lock-out option. That is the only way it pays to own it once you consider that the annual property tax and fees are $1100.00. (Do the math now and add the original purchase price of $21,000 amortized over your projected lifetime usage.)

There is no way I will buy into their point system and if Marriott blocks us from trading thru II I will join a class action lawsuit. I even know some class action lawyers.

Marlene S.
Nov 13, 2012

I believe there should be a class action suit. I am finding Marriott properties harder and harder to get through Interval and we do not want to buy points. This is unbelievable unfair to owners who cannot afford to buy points. Who is with me????????????????????

Marsha D.
Nov 13, 2012

Keep me posted.............I am with you.

Marsha D.
Nov 14, 2012

We have converted our resale to use in the points system. In our opinion the Marriott Maui is worth it. For our one bedroom oceanfront we get 4200 points. Generally we use our unit in October or Nov......for the 4200 points we can use a 2 bedroom in St Kitts in May for 2700 the have enough left over to do some long weekends or add night to another week that we have in ARuba. It all depends on your usage. My understanding is that you would have had to convert to points (since you are a resale) last year, so your question may be a mute point.

Mark R.
Nov 16, 2012

For our ownership of 4 fixd week Christmas new years if we traded for points we would not have enough to get back in and no guarantee to get the holiday we chose originally. We have had our request for a week in Maui at this time in II for TWO years and have never gotten it. Not like before this point system. We asked how they can take units out of the original units on deeds that were to be available on request. Marriott informs us the units on points are not those??? If they had 100 units to chose from and they still have 100 units but now reserve them for points people where did they take them from?? It is so intricately and legally worded you would have to have big money to argue this. Trying to rent an extra unit last Christmas we were told NONE were available while we looked out at the new units and saw many empty..........all being held for the people on points! great for Marriott.....they don't have to clean them etc just let them sit while asking exorbitant points to use them. Deeded owners are becoming second class. Marriott changed the RULES of the GAME in the MIDDLE of the GAME.

klalaw
Nov 16, 2012

Quote:
Deeded owners are becoming second class.

Yes, I am afraid you are right. IMHO deeded owners stand very little chance of getting their home resort for the dates they request. It's not like it used to be before points, regardless of which program.

Quote:
Marriott changed the RULES of the GAME in the MIDDLE of the GAME.

And they are not the only ones that did this. A huge majority of vacationers that purchase timeshares will come to regret it over time (if not already regretting it). You are locked into rising maintenance fees for life.....oh wait, you can give that debt to your children!

Keith P.
Nov 16, 2012

How do the points people pay for the maintenance of the Marriott resorts they use?? A one time fee and no increase? Interesting point kpaul

klalaw
Nov 17, 2012

marshad41 wrote:
I believe there should be a class action suit. I am finding Marriott properties harder and harder to get through Interval and we do not want to buy points. This is unbelievable unfair to owners who cannot afford to buy points. Who is with me????????????????????

Every time I read someone threatening a class action suit it is usually a person who has misunderstood something.

First, Marriott has not taken a thing from you. Read your contract and you can still do all of the following. You can occupy your unit. You can rent your unit. You can exchange your unit. This is all you're guaranteed to be able to do. The Marriott Rewards Points can be stopped at any time by Marriott. As far as using Interval International to exchange your unit. Well, you have that right to use them or other exchange companies. However, your contract with Interval International does not guarantee you that you have a right to stay in a Marriott. Your deed does not guarantee that right either. You don't have entitilement to Marriott, Hilton, Disney or any other timeshare you would like to exchange into. You should feel fortunate that you have an opportunity to go where you'd like to go.

Also, you don't have to buy points. You can rent points if you want to from other Marriott owners. I like this because when I don't want to go to my home resort, I can use the points and stay somewhere else. If there is a need for more points, I can rent them for cheap from another owner. For example, I have 4200 points and I want a larger unit somewhere and it's 5000 points. I can rent an additional 800 points for that larger unit fro .50/per point which is $400. The 800 points is placed in my account and now I can make the reservation. Done and I don't have ongoing maintenance fees eaach year. Marriott owners have put this in place for us to use it and it's very, very easy. If you would like more information PM me and I will give you the website or look on TUG.

Read your contracts and it will probably save you a lot of unncessary anxiety and needless anger. Life is too short.

Charles S.
Nov 17, 2012

aprild12 wrote:
How do the points people pay for the maintenance of the Marriott resorts they use?? A one time fee and no increase? Interesting point kpaul

Points owners pay a maintenance fee at an amount assessed per point. For example, if you own 2,500 points, you will pay $0.43 per point or $1,075 for 2013. These maintenance fees go to pay the maintenance fees of the weeks owned by the trust as well as administrative costs of the trust. Maintenance fees on trust points increase just like maintenance fees on weeks owned.

Den
Nov 17, 2012

Sounds like Dennish 144 works for Marriott Point system is for the benefit of Marriott why else would they be in the business problem is they changed the rules half way and screwed the deeded owners There are supposed to be two pools of units some in the point group others in the deeded the people are not supposed to move between pools but Marriott can manipulate the pools to their benefit and the detriment of the deeded owners When a point person books say a Friday to Monday stay he knocks out a deeded person who can only book week to week now those extra days are available to Marriott only Basic fact timeshare /points a bad investment as has been shown over and over Marriott is the only one who wins

Pierre F.

Last edited by phyl21 on Nov 18, 2012 09:01 AM

Nov 18, 2012

If you don't work for Marriott you should as they can't explain this. First what do you mean, Marriott Deed does not guarantee I can stay in a Marriott? Are you meaning just with II? 2nd. You can hardly exchange with II as before when point owners are not depositing to II and few deeded owners are left to do so.3rd. I have weeks 51 and 52 at Maui. I want an additional bedroom for same time. Please guide me into renting points for this ASAP. Sounds like I need to join RedWeek and TUG now to manage my Marriott deeded weeks? Any others? If I buy points for the 2 days prior to my week 51 can I then book them followed by 51 and 52 two days ahead of 13 months?

klalaw
Nov 18, 2012

Please read my message intended for you charless345 following message from pierref4.

charless345 wrote:
marshad41 wrote:

Every time I read someone threatening a class action suit it is usually a person who has misunderstood something.

First, Marriott has not taken a thing from you. Read your contract and you can still do all of the following. You can occupy your unit. You can rent your unit. You can exchange your unit. This is all you're guaranteed to be able to do. The Marriott Rewards Points can be stopped at any time by Marriott. As far as using Interval International to exchange your unit. Well, you have that right to use them or other exchange companies. However, your contract with Interval International does not guarantee you that you have a right to stay in a Marriott. Your deed does not guarantee that right either. You don't have entitilement to Marriott, Hilton, Disney or any other timeshare you would like to exchange into. You should feel fortunate that you have an opportunity to go where you'd like to go.

Also, you don't have to buy points. You can rent points if you want to from other Marriott owners. I like this because when I don't want to go to my home resort, I can use the points and stay somewhere else. If there is a need for more points, I can rent them for cheap from another owner. For example, I have 4200 points and I want a larger unit somewhere and it's 5000 points. I can rent an additional 800 points for that larger unit fro .50/per point which is $400. The 800 points is placed in my account and now I can make the reservation. Done and I don't have ongoing maintenance fees eaach year. Marriott owners have put this in place for us to use it and it's very, very easy. If you would like more information PM me and I will give you the website or look on TUG.

Read your contracts and it will probably save you a lot of unncessary anxiety and needless anger. Life is too short.

klalaw
Nov 18, 2012

I agree if you convert to points Marriott is in control. I have been able to trade for anywhere I've wanted to go thru II. Now I can't because there are hardly no Mariott propeties. It would take me three years of my Hilton Points (if I had them) to go to Hawaii for one week. I agree CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

Debbie D.
Nov 18, 2012

I am keep me posted

Debbie D.
Nov 18, 2012

To charless345. Please read my message to you. It is misplaced following the message above from pierref4. Thanks, klalaw07.

klalaw07 wrote:
Please read my message intended for you charless345 following message from pierref4.

charless345 wrote:
marshad41 wrote:

klalaw

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.