Point Systems

Opinions on weeks or points or a little of both?

Mar 19, 2010

I already have points from a points resort and am now in the process of buying another unit at a different resort and they offer weeks for $55 or if already in the points system then $100 for the points. The questions is should I purchase the weeks and get possibly 2 weeks out of the unit as it is a lockout studio and two bedroom or would be better of with point to add to my existing points.

Cheryl S.
Mar 25, 2010

cheryls47 wrote:
I already have points from a points resort and am now in the process of buying another unit at a different resort and they offer weeks for $55 or if already in the points system then $100 for the points. The questions is should I purchase the weeks and get possibly 2 weeks out of the unit as it is a lockout studio and two bedroom or would be better of with point to add to my existing points.
I don't think I understand.

You're asking if you purchase this additional unit, should you try to use them as points or as deposits to "double up", as it were?

If this is RCI Points, I think it really depends on how many points they give you for the new unit. Do you have enuf points, would doubling them be too much/too little to be worht it?

I'm not sure about the $55 and 100 fees - for what?

Vicki Y.
Mar 25, 2010

I'm in the process of buying another timeshare and my question is... should I take the RCI points option, which I am already in at other resort that we own, or should I take the RCI weeks option. The resort is a points resort but must have been weeks previously as they offer the weeks option at $55 or the points obtain for $100. Since this is a lockout unit and can be banked separately would I be better of banking them and possibly getting two weeks out of this or take the X amount of points. The TS is not a red week but is a white week and week 14 in early April over Easter for this year anyway. The resort is in a good 4 season area and depending on snow conditions would be good for spring skiing. I've read from one member in the forum that having weeks and points is the best of both worlds. What are your views? Do you think the above mentioned member's comment was right?

Cheryl S.
Mar 26, 2010

Shoot, I don't know much about RCI Points. I don't own them. So, take that into account. Also, I'm not a big fan of RCI.

If this 100 is the fee to **convert** to points and it's currently weeks, I think that's a good deal. If you "go weeks", I think that limits you. A one-time low fee to have the points option seems like a good idea.

I think once it is converted to points, you can still use it as A Week if you don't deposit it to points.

As I understand it (and please, find out for sure), you make decisions about using it as Points or Weeks every 3 years? Like, commit it to points now for 3 years, then you decide what to do again in 3 years. seems you can "pull your week out" of points a year before check-in and use it as a week.

What I don't know is that if that option forces it into deposit to RCI weeks. I don't think so - I think pulling it out of points means you can do whatever you want with it, including rent it out yourself - which I might suggest. Or, deposit it somewhere else - DAE, SFX, whatever, split or whole, depending on your desired exchange back out.

I think that when you "pull it out", it is still a week that has been converted to points, that this, er, "pointness" does not expire.

Hope someone that knows more about RCI Points comes along! But as for the Rci Weeks system? Availability is not as good as it used to be. Unless you already know how your week trades there or another owner can tell you, I would be hesitant to recommend goign that route. but it is true, you could get 2 exchanges back out, and possibly both bigger that what you had originally.

sorry I can't be more help.

Vicki Y.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.