Timeshare Exchanges

Advice Please:

Sep 18, 2010

I am new at Red Week. I am wanting to exchange for Las Vegas property.

Any advice if this is possible.

Thanks,

Bob

Robert C.

Last edited by marty8084 on Sep 18, 2010 07:09 PM

Sep 18, 2010

Way to much information and Redweek most likely will delete most if not all your post! Quick answer is Las Vegas like Orlando way over built so exchanging into these places very easy. You can exchange in with almost anything these days. Update because I see Marty did delete most of your post! You didn't state in your question if you meant only with Redweek exchange. I couldn't answer for them as I never use their exchange. My statement was for all other exchange companies like II or RCI. PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Sep 19, 2010 09:05 PM

Sep 19, 2010

robertc376 wrote:
I am new at Red Week. I am wanting to exchange for Las Vegas property.

Any advice if this is possible.

Thanks,

Bob

The only way you'll know is to deposit your week with Redweek and then start searching.

R P.
Jan 20, 2011

Hello everyone...i have no any idea about timeshare exchange...please can anyone help me.

Flemingstuart M.
Jan 21, 2011

flemingstuartm wrote:
I have no any idea about timeshare exchange...please can anyone help me.
RedWeek is no longer involved in timeshare exchanging.

The short version is that with any timeshare exchange company, you relinquish (or "deposit" to the exchange company) a week that you own and have reserved, in order to later request some OTHER week somewhere else in the future in return. You must JOIN the exchange company FIRST as a member in order to participate in the exchange process and you must of course OWN a timeshare in order to join an exchange company in the first place. Some resorts are RCI affiliated, some are II affiliated, some are affiliated with BOTH. Ask your resort, if you're unsure. With DAE, it does not matter at all which exchange company your resort is affiliated with. However, if a resort is affiliated ONLY with RCI, you can't use II as an exchange company (or vice versa).

The major exchange companies are RCI (the biggest by far), Interval International and Dial an Exchange. Visit their respective web sites for more detailed information on their membership procedures and exchange costs. DAE does not charge a membership fee, but RCI and II both do (annually, in fact). There is ALWAYS a fee charged to actually make an exchange, regardless of which exchange company you utilize. RCI has the highest exchange fees of all --- currently just under $200 per exchange and virtually guaranteed to periodically (but unpredictably) always increase in the future.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 24, 2011 06:11 AM

Jan 23, 2011

flemingstuartm wrote:
Hello everyone...i have no any idea about timeshare exchange...please can anyone help me.

Also, please be aware that exchanging is not as pleasant as easy as the timeshare salesperson made it out to be (like we believed when we bought ours).

What you can get in exchange for the week you deposit is based on, but not limited to, a number of factors:

1) How early you deposit your week

2) The demand for your week

3) The size of your unit

4) The desirability of the resort where you own.

Let's say you own at a resort affiliated with RCI. It's not as easy as looking at RCI's Resort Directory and saying, "Wow. There's a nice resort in a great place where I would like to stay during Christmas Break!"

There has to be a fellow RCI member deposit his week that you want. If, according to RCI's system, that week that you want is graded much higher than the week you deposited, you likely won't have access to it because another RCI member who has a more desirable deposit than you do will have priority over you.

Also be aware that RCI has a notorious reputation of renting out good deposits instead of letting members get them from exchange. That reduces the pool of exchanges available which, in turn, makes it harder for those depositing "dog weeks" to get what they want.

Another drawback is that weeks that you do manage to find are not available for occupancy until nearly a year later so you have to have the flexibility in your schedule to plan a vacation that far ahead of time.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.