Ask RedWeek

Donating my timeshare to a charity

Feb 11, 2011

I own a timeshare in Cabo. I no longer want it. I contacted a organization called Donate for a Cause. They want almost $2000.00 in various fees to take it. They say that the fees and 80% of the purchase price is tax deductable. I have a real problem paying that kind of money to give someone my timeshare. Has anyone heard of them? Is it true what they say? It seems like yet another timeshare scam to me.

Michael B.
Feb 12, 2011

Donate For A Cause used to be a reliable source for owners wishing to get rid of their timeshares, but lately they've become nothing more than another PCC company that charges you big bucks to (supposedly) take the timeshare out of your name, but beware that some PCC companies (not sure about DFAC) do not transfer the deed out of your name unless they can unload the timeshare themselves.

R P.
Feb 12, 2011

michaelb305 wrote:
I own a timeshare in Cabo. I no longer want it. I contacted a organization called Donate for a Cause. They want almost $2000.00 in various fees to take it. They say that the fees and 80% of the purchase price is tax deductable. I have a real problem paying that kind of money to give someone my timeshare. Has anyone heard of them? Is it true what they say? It seems like yet another timeshare scam to me.

There is no tax deduction provision available! If you have to actually pay someone to take your timeshare away, its value is zero. Hence, your deduction is zero.

If you donate a non-cash item to a charity, the actual value has to be substantiated and it's a long, arduous process. Besides, there was a post in a thread a couple of months ago about how one person tried to write off the value of her donated timeshare but then got stung by Uncle Sam.

Have you tried listing your unit for sale for $1 (or even free)? Offer to pay the closing costs. Maybe even offer to pay the next year's maintenance fees. That will cost less than what DFAC is charging.

Lance C.
Oct 11, 2011

If you are still intersted in donating your time share or know someone who is, please read the following and feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Thank you

Donate Your Timeshare To a Cancer Patient

WHO ARE WE?

Laura's Journeys is a program promoting travel for cancer patients in partnership with Roosevelt Hospital, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in New York City. Established in 2009 in loving memory of Laura Parness, Laura’s Journeys is specifically designed to encourage and facilitate recreational travel for cancer patients at Roosevelt and other hospitals within the Continuum Health Partners network. The program facilitates recreational travel for individuals undergoing cancer treatment by awarding vacations for the patient and a companion, while also providing practical advice for traveling during their therapy.

In the first two years since its inception, Laura’s Journeys has awarded more than 20 trips, including one-week cruises to various parts of the Caribbean,New England/Canada and Bermuda; a one-week trip to Athens, Greece; vacation home and timeshare stays in Merritt Island and Palm Beach Shores, Fla., and Galloway Township, N.J.; and weekends in the Berkshire Mountains and Atlantic City.

Winners are selected from random drawings limited to current chemotherapy and radiation therapy patients. In an effort to make the getaways as stress-free as possible, the program’s volunteers assist the winners in all aspects of planning their vacations.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

Laura's Journeys welcomes all forms of donations from the travel community and we invite individual owners of timeshares or vacation homes to donate week or weekend accommodations. For additional information, please see visit Laura's Journeys website at http://www.wehealny.org/services/ccc_laurajourneys/index.html.

Lauren S.
Oct 11, 2011

I attempted to get rid of my Club Regina/Raintree Vacation Club timeshare by donating it, as well. The charity sat on it for over a year before they said they didn't want it. The only way I got rid of it was to put a $1.00 price tag on it and agree to split the maintenance fee with the buyer.

Bodie
Oct 25, 2011

We're in the process of trying to donate our timeshare from Steele Hill Resort in NH to a transfer company called "Life Oasis for Families" who in turn transfers it to "The Florida Veterans Assistance Program" we are having a heck of a time this has been going on since August and it's getting pretty stressful. They told us the charges would be around $1,200 for everything, which we paid $775 upfront for administrative fees to donate and so far $275 (pay-pal terms and conditions say if transfer doesn't go through money will be refunded) for closing costs plus the resort charges $200 for transfer paperwork. I looked up the FVAP on the Fla. Consumer Information and they are indeed a 501(c) charity. They also gave me some reference #'s to call and I did. One gentleman told me he got rid of 2 timeshares with them last February and he was a little nervous at first but everything went well. Steele HIll claims they sent an original copy of contract for Life Oasis to sign and send back to them. SH now claims they sent this contract three times to be signed and returned to them. Life Oasis said they never got the paperwork. I don't know who to believe anymore. I regret the day we we're stupid enough to go up to Steele Hill for the supposed 90 minute tour which turned into 5 grulling hours. We have paid the main. fee for 2011 but 2012 will be due by the end of this year. I was told by Steele Hill the new owners should be responsible for upcoming main. fee. I'm not sure what's going on if Life Oasis is stalling. How can I get this nightmare over with and has anyone ever heard of the cast of characters I mentioned above...help!

Marie B.
Oct 30, 2011

I tried donating two timeshares to charity and kept running into road blocks. Nobody wanted them since they weren't prime locations and weeks. I joined the National Timeshare Owners Association. They have a newsletter that they send out to members periodically. I read an article in the newsletter suggesting ways to get rid of a timeshare. The first suggestion was to contact the resort and offer it back to them. I did just that. They both agreed to take them back with just a quit claim deed. The entire process took only about a month and I have two recorded quit claim deeds and I am no longer responsible for any fee

There is no need to be ripped off by these scam companies. There is a website www.stopthescam.org. I advise everyone to visit this site. Click on timeshares and scroll down to links about if you should buy a timesahare - MAYBE. It's an eye opener. If I knew then what I know now I would never have bought a timeshare.

If it looks like a scam and sounds like a scam..... IT"S A SCAM !!!!! If you really want to spend a few dollars to get rid of your timesahre. Join the ( NTOA ) National Timeshare Association. Their website is www.nationaltimeshareownersassoc.com. It's a group of timeshare owners looking out for each other and sharing positive and negative experiences. It also serves as a lobby for timeshare owners. The timeshare industry spends millions lobbying on their behalf. The NTOA lobbies on our behalf.

Please try to contact your home resort to see if they will take your week back. A lot of resorts now take them back rather than lose years of maintenance fees and legal expenses only to get them back by default.

Don P.
Oct 31, 2011

I have read a few of the postings on this site and for those interested in donating a time share to charity, I would love to speak with you or get you in touch with the founder of Laura's Journeys. Details of the organization are posted earlier in this forum, but I welcome you to check out the website for additional details: http://www.wehealny.org/services/ccc_laurajourneys/index.html

Laura's Journeys is a program promoting travel for cancer patients in partnership with Roosevelt Hospital, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in New York City. Established in 2009 in loving memory of Laura Parness, Laura’s Journeys is specifically designed to encourage and facilitate recreational travel for cancer patients at Roosevelt and other hospitals within the Continuum Health Partners network. The program facilitates recreational travel for individuals undergoing cancer treatment by awarding vacations for the patient and a companion, while also providing practical advice for traveling during their therapy.

Please check out the website and either reply to this posting or send me a message through RedWeek. I am happy to answer any and all questions.

Thank you for your attention, Lauren

Lauren S.
Oct 31, 2011

In a previous post, you said that one could donate use of his or her to this charity. Now, in your last post, you say that you can outright donate your timeshare property.

So, which is it? Can people donate their property which means that the charity actually takes over ownership and a new ownership deed is filed with the county and resort? Or can people just say, "hey, you can use my vacation property for a week."?

Lance C.
Nov 03, 2011

lancec13 wrote:
In a previous post, you said that one could donate use of his or her to this charity. Now, in your last post, you say that you can outright donate your timeshare property.

So, which is it? Can people donate their property which means that the charity actually takes over ownership and a new ownership deed is filed with the county and resort? Or can people just say, "hey, you can use my vacation property for a week."?

Surely she means the use of a timeshare for a week .... why would a charity take a timeshare and all the financial responsibilities that go along with it (ie: rising yearly maintenance fees and possible special assessments)?

R P.
Nov 28, 2011

My wife and I have gone thru this same mess for over two years. We also own a Steele Hill timeshare. I have been remiss in not pursuing this further. I was told by Life Oasis that SH was not cooperative and would not sell to a LLC which is what Life Oasis wants to do. (not sure what a LLC means). I would appreciate any info you might have since you posted this....thanks

John S.
Dec 25, 2011

I DID FINALLY GET AN EMAIL FROM STEELE HILL RESORT LAST WEEK CONFIRMING (FROM THEIR EXECUTIVE OFFICE) A SHORT CONFIRMATION LETTER STATING THAT THE TIMESHARE TRANSFER WAS COMPLETE, IT NAMED THE NEW OWNER AND DATE OF COMPLETION, WHICH WAS 12/5/11. I CALLED STEELE HILL AND SPOKE TO THE WOMAN WHO SENT THE EMAIL AND THIS LETTER OF COMPLETION OF TRANSFER. FROM HER MEANS WE WILL NOT LONGER BE IN THE LOOP, NO LONGER RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MONETARY PAYMENTS. OASIS IS HANDLING THE TRANSFER TO THE FVAP. THEY JUST NEEDED THAT CONFIRMATION LETTER AND NOW I'M WAITING TO GET IRS PAPERWORK. I HAVE TO SAY I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE DEDUCTION WILL BE IN TERMS OF A TAX WRITE OFF. HONESTLY, I DON'T CARE, WE GOT SUCKED INTO THIS THING AND WE'RE VERY SORRY WE DID. I TRIED TO CANCEL BUT WE MISSED THE COOLING OFF PERIOD AND I WROTE TO THE AG'S OFFICE IN BOTH NH AN MA (WHERE WE LIVE) NO ONE COULD HELP ME. I EXPLAINED HOW THEY TOLD US IT WOULD BE A 90 MIN. TOUR AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE 5 HRS., ABOUT THE HIGH PRESSURE ET., ETC., ETC., IT'S AN EXPENSIVE MISTAKE AND BEFORE WE GOT IN DEEPER AND DEEPER WE JUST DECIDED TO BITE THE BULLET AND DONATE. AGAIN, AS I MENTIONED BEFORE, WE STARTED THIS WHOLE DONATION THING IN AUGUST, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TAKES THEM SO LONG. ALSO, WE WILL NOT BE OWNERS IN 2012 BUT WE DID HAVE TO PAY THE MAINTENANCE FEE....IT'S BEEN QUITE A BURDEN AND WE'RE GLAD TO BE OUT! GOOD LUCK

Marie B.
Dec 26, 2011

marieb169 wrote:
I HAVE TO SAY I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE DEDUCTION WILL BE IN TERMS OF A TAX WRITE OFF. HONESTLY, I DON'T CARE

Your tax deduction is the Fair Market Value (FMV). Since you were not able to sell it (even for $) and had to pay someone to take over possession, the FMV is somewhere around zero. Therefore, your deduction should be around zero. That's something not even worth pursuing.

Lance C.
Jan 10, 2012

jayjay wrote:
lancec13 wrote:

Surely she means the use of a timeshare for a week .... why would a charity take a timeshare and all the financial responsibilities that go along with it (ie: rising yearly maintenance fees and possible special assessments)?

James B.
Jan 11, 2012

i have received a second confirmation letter from executive office of steele hill which states....we are NO LONGER owners at Steele Hill and we are now released from any further obligation, be it financial or otherwise. this letter is from their corporate office. I've received tax forms from Florida Vets thanking us for our donation. the tax deduction and transfer fee's are suppose to be deductible. We're OUT....my tax guy can figure out what we can deduct....he is the professional not us. As i mentioned before tax deduction or not we wanted out! I have letters of confirmation from the resort....we are totally OUT!

Marie B.
Apr 17, 2012

My apologies for the delayed response; I believe you were directing your question at my post. We are looking for donations of the property for as long as the owner is looking to donate. It could be a weekend or a week or multiple weeks. We do not take over ownership of the property.

If you are still interested in donating a time share, please take a look at http://www.wehealny.org/services/ccc_laurajourneys/index.html for more details.

Thank you!

Lauren S.
Oct 12, 2012

Avoid them. Actually 2k is cheap for what they offered me. they wanted 5700K. Ask your timeshare if they will do a buyback anytime soon. you have to be current, but they might take it back. you lose that years fees and yo udon't get to use it, but you're rid of it forever.

Sarah C.
Jan 01, 2013

Has anyone heard of the Wyatt Foundation as a charity organization that accepts your timeshare with your donation of about $3,000 & promises to transfer your ownership? They, too, say you can take off part of the value of the property plus the fee for the donation. They have a website & are located in Thatcher, ID (a ranch for handicapped kids.)

Carole L.
Jan 01, 2013

NEVER pay anyone an upfront fee. It sounds like a scam. As for deducting the fee.. that's a big lie. You can only deduct the actual value of the item donated. Since most timeshares have little or no value the deduction is nothing. They will tell you all the lies you want to hear to get your money. As soon as you send them payment your money and the scammers disappear. They will then put you on the " sucker list ". Somewhere down the road someone will contact you claiming they can recover the original money you lost. It's another scammer working off the sucker list.

Don P.
Jan 01, 2013

I had considered this route until I heard the fee, outrageous! and when I told them I could switch title to them on my own (for about $200). they refused to let me do it. I don't know if other organizations are like this, but I would pass on this one. Good luck!

Sarah C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.