Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Has anyone ever been successful in selling?

Nov 08, 2011

We have owned timeshares for many years & have enjoyed their use. Now, however our travel circumstances have changed and we'd like to divest ourselves of our timeshares. I don't want to get involved with any of the upfront fee scams, & intend to list on RedWeek, but as I look at all the listings, I wonder if anyone is ever successful in completing a sale.

Nevonna S.
Nov 08, 2011

nevonnas2 wrote:
I wonder if anyone is ever successful in completing a sale.

Many have been successful. The key is to price it competitively. Also, realize that many timeshares have a resale value of around zero! If that is the case with yours, then try to give it away.

List it in the Bargain Basement section here on RedWeek.

I know you're aware of the scams out there but, just as a reminder, never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare.

Lance C.
Nov 16, 2011

Hello, When we first decided to list our TS for resale, we were originally "duped", by a timeshare resale company. By the time I realized it was a scam to take our money, and no-one would ever sell it for us, the payment was made and the damage done. I never paid an "upfront" resale fee, ever again. I did check several resale realtors, but their Commission/fees made it unpalatable. Eventually, I advertised on this site, RedWeek.com. It did take quite a while to sell and, at first, I received such silly, insincere offers, I could not take them seriously. When the TS did not sell, I continued to lower my price- taking a substantial loss. However, the reduction was due to the economic recession and lack of resales in general. It was not due to any fault of the listing or of Redweek. Over time, I began receiving legitimate offers. It took about 18 months, but a serious buyer found my RedWeek listing and we negotiated everything directly between us. There was no middleman and we were able to save a great deal of money on the closing costs. I recommend selling on this site.

Deborah A.
Nov 17, 2011

deboraha142 wrote:
When the TS did not sell, I continued to lower my price- taking a substantial loss.

You did exactly what you should have done .... kept lowering your price until you started receiving legitimate offers ... this is the KEY to successful reselling of timeshares.

R P.
Oct 20, 2019

My timeshare has been listed with redweek for almost a year. I have reduced the price a couple of times but is there someway to get noticed on Redweek when a reduction is made? Relying on potential buyers searching doesn’t seem to be a good enough marketing tool. Does Redweek offer any special way to advertise reduced time shares?

Patricia L.
Oct 21, 2019

Patricia: We have a Bargain Resale section with the 100 lowest-priced resales on our website. Most of these are asking $0: Bargain Resales

You may want to check with your timeshare broker to see if they would recommend lowering the price or what else you might do to help get it sold.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Oct 29, 2019

Amazingly, we finally closed on the sale of our time share today after having it listed on Redweek for months with no interest. The buyer found us on Ebay. I listed it for $1 and no fees to the buyer, so I paid about $700 in escrow, title, etc type fees. That was better than paying the resort $2,500 to give it back to them, so I am happy. Contact your resort to see if you can give it back, as many will do that for under $1,000 and it is easier than dealing with a buyer.

James B.
Apr 01, 2024

Hi iam trying to sell my timeshare is there any way I can sell we have not used at all

Domnic F.
Apr 02, 2024

domnicf wrote:
Hi iam trying to sell my timeshare is there any way I can sell we have not used at all

https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/how-to-sell-your-timeshare-and-avoid-getting-scammed.44/

Make sure you know what you own. Is it deeded property or a Right-to-Use (like something in Mexico)? Are you paid up to date with the maintenance fees and mortgage/loan?

Lance C.
Apr 10, 2024

Midwest real estate I can even find and are asking 10000 to pay the Mexicans! Scam

Neil N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.