The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North

Exhorbitant Maintenance Fees

Aug 13, 2013

Luigik,

You obviously have very skewed views of timeshare ownership, it seems you are a Starwood employee.

Manuel R.
Mar 07, 2015

your 600 dollars a night times 7 nights is nice. Yet you do not factor in travel. That same example and now factor in four airfares of 600 dollars is now a 4900 dollar stay...you can book for less without any financial up front fees of 24000 for the timeshare.

Ed J.
Mar 07, 2015

not really. you see, they will resell them through a third party for a quarter of the original price. people get excited and guess what, the maintenance fee is the same regardless of price

Ed J.
Mar 07, 2015

Maintenance dues are outrageous. You can easily spend $8,000 for one week if you factor in air travel, rental car, food and maintenance dues. I tried to rent my timeshare last year for $1,000 (one week) and got no bites. The idiot that thinks that people are going to spend more than $400 per night (the exception is ocean front) just needs to check RedWeek listings. Starwood should be ashamed at how maintenance dues have increased (much more than actual inflation) and someday they'll pay the price for their greed.

Manuel R.
Mar 08, 2015

Is Starwood affiliated with Steve Cloobeck or Diamond Resorts International (DRI)? They seem to have the same M.O.

Robert R.

Last edited by robertr558 on Mar 10, 2015 12:14 PM

Mar 10, 2015

I don't know if there is any affiliation, but I think the "M.O." is pretty much the same for ALL timeshares.

B S.
Jan 01, 2017

I too am an owner, and agree maintenance fees are skimmed over at the sales presentation time. We mis understood and thought they were half as much as they are. They sell you that maintenance fees go up about 1% a year and hotels 10% a year B.S. ANOTHER bad trend I have noticed is that we never will get an increase in the hotel points we can get for our timeshares even though we are paying top dollar to keep them up. YET the points for hotels has gone up a lot.

Mark & Oran O.
Jan 01, 2017

Hotels do go up 10% to 20% in Maui every year. North America about 3% to 15%. It's a fact. Look it up, its in the Maui news. Plus taxes and resort fees and parking is another 10 to 30 percent.

Go online now and find a nice one bedroom for rent on Maui for January for less then $500 a night. It's doesn't exist. Ocean Front and not some dump.

That Westin rents for $560 to $1,000 a night plus $25 resort fees, $22 for parking and 14% in taxes.

Maintenance for all companies go up about 2 to 6%. A lot Less than Hotel inflation. I'm a financial advisor. FYI

I'm not pro anything, but DONT lie and say maintenance fees go up more then hotel rates.

See below: Direct from their website. 2 bedroom for one week. The 15% taxes alone is almost $1,500 for the week in ONLY taxes.

Maintenance for the week is way less than $2,400 !!!! I own a 2 bedroom at this resort.

From website.

"THE WESTIN KA'ANAPALI OCEAN RESORT VILLAS 6 Kai Ala Drive, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761 Phone: (1)(808) 667-3200 Check in:Sat, 01/07/2017, 4:00 PM Check out:Sat, 01/14/2017, 10:00 AM Room(s):1 Adult(s):2 Children:0 Two-bedroom villa: 2 King Beds + 2 Sofa Beds, Non-smoking 1,230 ft² / 114 m², Ocean view, Whirlpool, Full kitchen, Non-smoking Rate Description: 5th Night Free with Sunsational Savings!. Includes 5th night free and daily breakfast for two.. RATE INFORMATION Room Rate Total for your stay: USD 9,330.44 Taxes: ROOM of 9.25% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate. SALES of 4.16% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate. Note: Actual total will be in hotel's local currency at the exchange rate in effect at time of charge. **The displayed totals are estimates only and do not include any additional charges that may be incurred at the hotel. The actual total will be calculated by the hotel in its local currency, based on the local taxes and currency exchange rate (if applicable) in effect at the time charging occurs"

Lastly: Timeshare has been good for us. It's not for everyone and it's not perfect. But these forums spread more false ideas than accurate ones.

Do your homework and stop spreading lies.

Brad L.
Jan 03, 2017

You obviously work in the timeshare field and I didn't lie about anything. I did not say that maintenance fees go up more than hotel fees. I do know that the maintenance fees have gone up way more than one percent a year! How do you justify hotel points going up, but the points we get for our well kept up timeshare never going up????.

Mark & Oran O.
Aug 25, 2017

What points

Brad L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.