Timeshare Exchanges

Finally got rid of my timeshare!

Jan 02, 2014

I, too, had a rough time getting out of a timeshare contract, and like you, found a lawyer to 'do the deal' (not cheap). That was 11 years ago and I learned my lesson. As far as the posts from donp196 , he's got his mind made up that he's right. Rest easy in the thought that the more he calls "SCAMMER", the less credibility he has.

For others out there, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING and two legible signatures from the selling entity. If they won't, walk away.

johnb2353 wrote:
The money is for recording fees. The transaction is not a scam. The timeshare is no longer mine. I am not being billed for maintenance fees any longer. This was a legal transaction. I have nothing more to say.

donp196 wrote:
johnb2353 wrote:
There is no need to prove fraud. My attorney negotiated a buy-back. I have the recorded deed transfer paperwork, and received a check from the timeshare for the sales price we agreed upon.

The deal is done and I do not any longer own the timeshare. The final proof is that the annual maintenance fees were not charged to my credit card in September.

There is no money given to the owner in a deed back. This is an out right SCAM !!!!!

Norm B.
Jan 03, 2014

Try reading the posts thoroughly before you give out bad advice. The person that I had a problem with was trying to steer people to " his attorney " . That is how scammers work. They get you out of the forum and isolate you and then rip you off. Why didn't he just say to see an attorney not just " his attorney " ?

If you can't walk into the attorneys office and meet with him or her and their staff then you deserve to get ripped off. You must believe that there are no phony attorney scams. Of course you must realize that nobody gets scammed on the internet and we should trust anyone steering you to a specific person.

I was able to get rid of two timeshares without using any attorney and it only cost me a minimal expense of filing fees so I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. Jayjay also disposed of timeshares without using " his attorney " so she must be dumb too.

Next time read the posts thoroughly unless you work with the other person trying to steer people to the same " attorney ".

Don P.
Jan 03, 2014

I'm just saying, you should be happy for those who can unload their property regardless of the means while bringing attention to the scams which you've been posting about for quite a while. If prospective buyers/sellers don't heed the warnings there's nothing further you can do. You can keep hammering on this subject 'til you'e blue in the face without result.

Use what works for you and BE AWARE.

Norm B.
Jan 04, 2014

My point exactly. Be aware that there are phony attorney and para legal scams out there. If someone tries to steer you to " their attorney or paral legal " then the flags should be flying everywhere. If someone decides to use an attorney pick one that you know is legit not one that someone claims is the only one you should use. There are good attorneys in every city and town. You should not have to use one off the internet.

Don P.
Jan 05, 2014

Don -- My attorney has helped dozens of people here. You are right to be careful of scams, and there are plenty of them. But the attorney to whom I have sent people is legitimate, knows the industry and can maneuver through difficult timeshares. Yes, it is SOMETIMES possible to deed back a timeshare directly yourself. But if you are working with a fraudulent timeshare company, you might only be able to do the transaction with an attorney who can maneuver through their games.

John B.
Jan 06, 2014

this is possibly a new message in getting ride of timeshares, Paid $750 to timeshare concepts on 4/27/2013. guaranteed that I did not received at least 3 legimate offers in 18 months, I would receive my $750 back. 11/28/2017, I requested return of $750, found out that TC went from rating of A + to a F -. and not reply from TC. decided since I charge the $750 on AMEX. I wrote AMEX to NEW YORK office and included the guarantee. also advised that I would like to use AMEX nore in my Business if they could assist me in this request. Five days later, I had a check for $750 from AMEX. YES I will utize AMEX more in my bus. travel, Also sold the 3 bedroom TC to young sales oreinted family that loves to travel and utilize this for $750. I am finally free of all . my timeshares ownership.

Robert S.
Jan 07, 2014

Kudos to you for following up concerning their guarantee of at least 3 offers and you writing AMEX about the situation.

Many people in this situation just let it go and do nothing.

R P.
Jan 08, 2014

Could you supply the lawyer's info?

Thomas D.
Jan 08, 2014

johnb2353 wrote:
Don -- My attorney has helped dozens of people here. You are right to be careful of scams, and there are plenty of them. But the attorney to whom I have sent people is legitimate, knows the industry and can maneuver through difficult timeshares. Yes, it is SOMETIMES possible to deed back a timeshare directly yourself. But if you are working with a fraudulent timeshare company, you might only be able to do the transaction with an attorney who can maneuver through their games.

One more time, I doubt that your attorney has helped dozens here .... the only reason the attorney was successful for you is that the Manhattan Club offered to take your timeshare deed back as they can easily resale it .... most resorts don't take deedbacks and there's no attorney that can force them to.

R P.
Jan 11, 2014

We called the property direct and told them we could no longer afford our yearly fees due to age and medical problems. They told us that if we could not sell it we could use their deed back option. We had to pay $500 to them to work on it. They also told us that as we were not using our TS we would not to have to pay for 2014 maintenance fees that were more than the deed back price. They took care of all the legal work and we just had to pay to have everything notarized. A few months ago I had spoken with Timesharesout and they wanted $3670.00 to do a deed back. Call your property direct as we did. It was worth the phone call. There are some properties out there that will help you. I don't know if DRI properties will though.

Sheila M.
Jan 12, 2014

Thanks for your experience. It proves what many of us here are trying to tell others. You do not have to pay a large, upfront fee to anyone to sell or "cancel" your timeshare. Try asking the resort if it will take the unit back.

Lance C.
Jan 14, 2014

its a complete SCAM please tell all your friends that all this stuff is about PYRAMID selling of timeshares. the point i am making is that in 7 YEARS i have not had any joy in where i want to go and have ended up going on vacation to a resort NOT of my choice PS. Finally after 7 years Mystic Dunes has got FREE wiFi- WoW

Alan S.
Jan 14, 2014

Dude, i NEVER use anything else but AMEX- they are THE best for customer service and satisfaction

Alan S.
Jan 20, 2014

My wife and I sat through one of the Marriott's Ocean Club timeshare presentation and walked out discussed with their sleazy tactics. Fortunately, we asked the right questions and walked away. We had heard from others that it is virtually impossible to get the week you want. We ended up buying the Divi Links and Phoenix directly from the owners.

catalinar5 wrote:
I owned two units at the Marriot ocean club, I think it was a bad investment. IThe TRUTH it is OVERSOLD . I purchased two units , platinum week , to spend it in Aruba and with 13 months in advance, it was imposible to get a reservation. Its not fair. someone should sue Marriott for misleading people.

Ted B.
Oct 31, 2014

Does anyone have negative experience with REMAX Timeshare Division in Florida?

Marsha C.
Oct 31, 2014

marshac51 wrote:
Does anyone have negative experience with REMAX Timeshare Division in Florida?

If they require any kind of upfront fee then they're a scam pirating the Remax name.

R P.
Aug 27, 2017

@donp196: which resort did you own at? I've been contemplating walking away from mine as well as the maintenance fees are getting out of hand!

RuthAnne S.

Last edited by ruthannes7 on Aug 27, 2017 07:50 PM

Aug 27, 2017

thanks for the useful information!

RuthAnne S.
Aug 28, 2017

ruthannes7 wrote:
I've been contemplating walking away from mine as well as the maintenance fees are getting out of hand!

Have you contacted the HOA President of your resort yet, preferably in writing and by follow up phone call, to specifically inquire about a "deedback"?

While positions and practices on "deedbacks" vary widely among different resorts, you should aggressively pursue this option FIRST before just "walking away". If the HOA President very clearly understands that you ARE definitely taking ONE of only TWO specific options (deedback to HOA, or just walking away) you might be able to get their attention. It is, after all, in their best interests to not have to undertake the time, effort and expense of foreclosure proceedings, during and after which they will receive NO incoming maintenance fees until a new fee paying owner is found.

That said, it will require some concerted effort and persistence on your part and there must of course be no outstanding loan debt associated with your timeshare and your fees must be fully paid up to date (...or they won't even talk to you at all). Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 30, 2017 04:11 PM

Aug 28, 2017

Both of the resorts I owned were in Ormond Beach, Florida . It doesn't matter where your resort is located . You have to take the time to contact the resort and state your case. I made sure that I was talking to someone who actually handles the titles and deeds . I stated that i had to get them out of my name and that I was offering them the chance to take them back . I informed them that it was in everyone's best interest to work together .

I let them know that I was going to get them out of my name and it wasn't my responsibility if the new owner doesn't pay their maintenance fees and it costs them money to foreclose on the new owner if he defaults . It would definitely be in their best interest to find a new owner themselves. I guess they both believed me . A few weeks later I had recorded copies of the quit claim deeds locked away in my safe .

It only took a few weeks to process the paperwork and I only had to pay a minimal amount to file the paperwork . Some resorts may ask you to pay the next years maintenance fees to give them time to find a new owner but that's a small price to pay to be rid of the never ending increasing maintenance fees .

I encourage anyone who wants out of their timeshares to take the time to do it themselves . Make it your priority and pick up the telephone . I would recommend that you make as many calls as necessary to contact the right person. Don't email . Emails are too easy to ignore . Once you agree to a deed back then emails will suffice to complete the transaction . Good luck and be persistent .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Aug 28, 2017 11:21 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.