Point Systems

Orange Lake and Holiday Inn

Jan 14, 2012

Ok, I have been a Weeks owner for 5 years in Vegas. Always exchange with RCI, never use my home unit, but the Trading Power was high, and I always request my exchange far enough out that I always get what I want. Now Orange Lake has taken over the Resort, and for a small fee ($204 initial and $100 every year after) I can go to Points, but I can use the Points with Holiday Inn or RCI. Since the 1 bed Points is only 3000, I was curious what resorts with RCI are points wise. So I called RCI and their rep would not tell me what a standard unit say in Mexico would take away from my Points total. He said that RCI has 85% Weeks owners and that Points was not as popular, unless I want to go more often and shorter stays. Bottom line is Orange Lake says I can use my points for Airfare and activities at the resort that I go to. Really? I know I am happy with what I have Weeks wise, but the lure of airfare being paid is great.

HELP! Any suggestions?

Melody S.
Jan 15, 2012

melodyschaefer5370 wrote:
Bottom line is Orange Lake says I can use my points for Airfare and activities at the resort that I go to. Really? I know I am happy with what I have Weeks wise, but the lure of airfare being paid is great.

HELP! Any suggestions?

The airfare "being paid" is likely a ripoff. With "deals" like these, there are usually so many restrictions and fees that it's not worth it.

There is a link here on Timeshare Users' Group's (aka "TUG") discussion board that shows the RCI Points Grid. You might want to check it out:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15225

Lance C.
Jan 15, 2012

Thanks that really helps!

The problem is that according to this chart a two bedroom is 50,000 points in Mexico. With Weeks I just got a two bedroom straight across due to the Exchange Power of my Las Vegas resort. I really wish there was a way to get this explained by someone who knows the Holiday Inn system that isn't a salesperson!

Melody

Melody S.
Jan 15, 2012

There are other exchange companies besides RCI. Most don't require you to deposit your week before you exhange. They also don't require you to buy points to exchange.

Don P.
Mar 03, 2012

i can help but its too much to explain on internet, if you'd like to call 386-451-1736-chris. i have been in the business for 3 years and have had only 4 people cancel, i;m as honest as they get. i get really sick of people bashing timeshare mostly because of bad reps or they don't understand how to use it. rci had a class action lawsuit and is now transparent with the new changes as of nov 2011. also if you own a weeks reosrt, it is totally different then a points resorts. you have to join holiday inn club and convert to points system. when you do you, you have the option of using them for airlines, car rental, gas, shopping,gift cards to all kinds of stores like best buy,home depot,sears,applebee's. see why i can't explain on internet. you points can be put into a program that they never!!!!!! expire. so you pay one time to upgrade and use over and over every year. think about buying one plane ticket and using it over and over year after year. that's why points ownership are the best, also weeks ownerships sell for $1.00 on red week, you don't see orangelake points anywhere for sale. hope i helped alittle, but please don't listen to these people that don't know anything about your program. i go to training 20 hours a month to keep updated, when was the last time they did.

Chris G.
Mar 04, 2012

Thanks Chris! I had actually called Orange Lake and got a different person on the phjone who explained the system better. It does look like a better prospect then I had thought, but the problem was the person did not explain it very well the first time. I will call you for help!

Thanks again!

Melody S.
Aug 27, 2012

have you paid off your Orange Lake resort?

Wanda B.
Aug 27, 2012

Yes, I own 5 timeshares, and they are all paid off. I have turned my weeks into points, and have found them to be very useful. I am very pleased with the point system

Melody S.
Aug 28, 2012

melodyschaefer5370 wrote:
Yes, I own 5 timeshares, and they are all paid off. I have turned my weeks into points, and have found them to be very useful. I am very pleased with the point system

To which point system did you convert your weeks? RCI Points or IHG/Holiday Inn Points?

How much did you have to pay to convert each week?

Lance C.
Aug 28, 2012

The total was $204 total. Not per unit, per owner. Once I became a points member, I can use my points for either IHG or RCI. I flew to Portland, used a rental car and booked three different stays at Crown Plaza. I really like the point system and have had a lot of success with it

Melody S.
Apr 12, 2013

Chris, Are you still involved in this business? I am very interested in changing from weeks to points at Orange Lake but would love to know more about it.

Would love to talk with you about this.

Robert B.
Sep 23, 2013

Do not convert to points. Orange lake will sell you another timehsare to get you to a points level that is worth anything.

Donnie B.
Sep 23, 2013

how did they convert you to points?

Donnie B.
Nov 09, 2013

Wondering how you converted your timeshares to points...did you do each resort individually or all together?

Gretchen C.
Nov 10, 2013

I own 5 weeks. At the begining of each year I pay $204 and they assign a points value to each unit. As they are all one bedroom, the value is from 90,000 to 120,000 per unit. I then ask them to send a certian amount of points to my Holiday Inn Priority Club account. Once they are on that account they never expire and can be used for hotel stays. I use them for any length of time stay, and anywhere Holiday Inn has a place. I would call Orange Lake Owner services and see what they can do for you.

Melody S.
Nov 10, 2013

Also can use with RCI

Melody S.
Nov 11, 2013

How much is the Holiday Inn Club membership per year? You also have to pay your 5 maintenance fees each year as well, correct? If you use RCI you have to pay a membership fee correct? Do you point convert one to one or do you lose point if you convert them to Priority points?

Donnie B.

Last edited by donnieb14 on Nov 11, 2013 11:22 AM

Nov 11, 2013

I would like to speak to you if I could about your conversion of weeks to points at OrangeLake, I own week 10 at River Island. Please email me your number. tcsummitt@machlink.com

Tom S.
Nov 12, 2013

I pay $204 a year for my Holiday Inn Club membership. It includes an RCI membership. I still pay the maintenace fee's for each unit. I can convert straight points to points with RCI. There is less points given for exchange with IHG, but it is small and they last forever

Melody S.
Jan 03, 2014

I have over 300,000 Holiday Inn Club points and use every one every year (but i like to vacation). Make sure that your week qualifies to convert to the club before making any resale purchases. Some deeds automatically converts and others can cost over $5000 to convert to the points system.

With HICV The RCI interface is very nice and you can use points on all available RCI inventory. My HICV club dues are $104 per year which includes the RCI membership. I have two deeds.

If you have a weeks program with RCI now, you should look into the credits system and see how many credits you will get for your deposit.

As a rule of thumb, your highest and best use of any vacation ownership will always be on villa accommodations. Airfare, gift cards, hotels, cruises ect are icing and sprinkles that are often on par with the value of your maintenance fees.

Evan P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.