Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Renting Out Timeshare Getaway Weeks

Jul 17, 2012

Hello, I am a new timeshare owner and had a question about renting out getaway weeks. Last month my husband and I bought a timeshare in Gatlinburg, TN. When we purchased the timeshare we were told we would receive 12 Getaway Weeks with Interval International. Our sales rep and his manager both told us that we could sell those Getaway Weeks through VRBO in order to pay the yearly maintenance fee. Not being familiar with timeshares, we decided to go for it. We paid the outlandish advertisement fee (which was stupid, I know) thinking that we would be able to post those Getaway Weeks for places like New Orleans during Mardi Gras or Destin during Spring Break. Now not only am I finding out the only property we can post on VRBO is our own, but I'm reading on here that we can't even sell those Getaway Weeks. Is that correct? Did anybody else get tricked into buying a timeshare for the same reasons? Is this even legal?

Sonya C.
Jul 17, 2012

Sonya it looks like they will tell you anything to get you to sign on the dotted line. The timeshare industry is notorious for misleading people at sales presentations. The general rule is that if a timeshare salesperson's lips are moving he or she is lying. You will have to read the contract you signed and you are bound by that. If you are still in the recission period you can cancel your contract. Other than that you should find out what you are entitled to and try to make the best of it. A timeshare in Tn has virtually no value on the resale market. You can check on here and other sites like Ebay and probably find similar ones selling for $ 1.00.

If you are thinking about getting rid of it be very careful. There are scammers out there that will promise to take it off your hands for a large fee but as soon as you send the money they disappear along with your funds.

I wish you had checked out these forums before your signed on the dotted line. Good luck and feel free to ask questions in here. Someone might have good advice for you.

Don P.
Jul 18, 2012

sonyac33 wrote:
Hello, I am a new timeshare owner and had a question about renting out getaway weeks. Last month my husband and I bought a timeshare in Gatlinburg, TN. When we purchased the timeshare we were told we would receive 12 Getaway Weeks with Interval International. Our sales rep and his manager both told us that we could sell those Getaway Weeks through VRBO in order to pay the yearly maintenance fee. Not being familiar with timeshares, we decided to go for it. We paid the outlandish advertisement fee (which was stupid, I know) thinking that we would be able to post those Getaway Weeks for places like New Orleans during Mardi Gras or Destin during Spring Break. Now not only am I finding out the only property we can post on VRBO is our own, but I'm reading on here that we can't even sell those Getaway Weeks. Is that correct? Did anybody else get tricked into buying a timeshare for the same reasons? Is this even legal?

I'm not sure what II Getaway Weeks are, but Extra Vacations with RCI are not allowed to be sold.

Like don said, is 'You Can Rent Your 12 Getaway Weeks' in your written contract ? .... if not then you've been sold a verbal lie. If it IS written into your legal contract and you're not able to rent those weeks via VRBO then you have a legal leg to stand on as far as getting out of this contract.

R P.
Jan 21, 2016

Check out Red Week.com It is a site for timehare owners to rent out their timeshare. I think it costs 14,99 to join Redweek for a year. My husband and I go to Oyster Bay Beach Resort in Saint Martin almost every year. We look in Redweek.com to see what weeks are being offered for that resort. What people do is contact Oyster Bay to see if they can transfer any of their weeks into Oyster Bay for specific weeks. If they canthan they offer them up on Redweek. I think there is a fee to do that but not much. I know owners who rent out their weeks every year. Also their is a big ACBL Bridge tournament in Gatlinburg every April. Several thousand people play in that tournament and might want to rent a timeshare week from you. so good luck. Janet Stam

Janet S.

Last edited by phyl21 on Jan 22, 2016 08:07 AM

Jan 29, 2016

What company did you buy from. Details. Exactly everything you bought and paid and the company, what did you buy? Points weeks or resale? . Your post makes no sense and anyone responding can't because you are so vague.

Thanks

Brad L.
Feb 26, 2016

I was just contacted about renting out 4 of my getaway weeks by resort traveller. They said I could make 7800 dollars but I would have to pay 1500 up front. Sounded like an obvious scam. Has any one else heard of this?

Robert H.
Feb 26, 2016

It's a definite SCAM !!!

Don P.
Feb 27, 2016

roberth1501 wrote:
Has any one else heard of this?

I've heard of this many times on these boards and yes, it is definitely a scam. You do not own any getaway weeks to rent out. And regardless of who calls, never ever pay anyone a large upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare.

Lance C.
Mar 07, 2016

lancec13 wrote:
roberth1501 wrote:
Has any one else heard of this?

I've heard of this many times on these boards and yes, it is definitely a scam. You do not own any getaway weeks to rent out. And regardless of who calls, never ever pay anyone a large upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare.

I received the same message today offering me $2300/wk for four weeks totaling $9200, stating they were looking at my RCI account. All I had to do was give them my credit card info and they would not charge it until I received their guarantee of the rental money. It would be charged $1899 for one year or $3899 for a lifetime membership. They said the merchants would not allow them to send the email until they got this info on my card. When I refused giving this they hung the phone up.

Bruce D.
Oct 08, 2016

How would RCI or II know that getaway (sic) weeks had been sold ? If no one actually has the weeks ( they are virtual) and the claim here is that no actual commercial rentals occur (they are simply a selling tool to validate the sale) ... what is the point of all this effort ?

jayjay wrote:
sonyac33 wrote:

I'm not sure what II Getaway Weeks are, but Extra Vacations with RCI are not allowed to be sold.

Like don said, is 'You Can Rent Your 12 Getaway Weeks' in your written contract ? .... if not then you've been sold a verbal lie. If it IS written into your legal contract and you're not able to rent those weeks via VRBO then you have a legal leg to stand on as far as getting out of this contract.

Paul T.
Oct 23, 2016

They might not find out, but if it is prohibited, it still wouldn't be right to do.

Mark V.
Aug 03, 2017

You've been told something untrue. Not only are you NOT allowed to sell/rent out getaway weeks obtained through II, you're not allowed to sell or rent out any trades you make via Interval International. It's part of their policies that you read through and accept when signing up for an account with them.

I'd be going to the timeshare regulation authority in the state where you purchased your timeshare, explaining your experience and asking what options you have for getting your money back. You may need to sue the timeshare company on the basis that they lied to you during the sales presentation.

Steve L.
Aug 04, 2017

stevel633 wrote:
You may need to sue the timeshare company on the basis that they lied to you during the sales presentation.

While I would love to see some of these lying sales people get sued and be accountable for their deceptive practices, I think that pursuing such lawsuits are a waste of time and resources, at least based on what you have said. The reason is that the plaintiff/buyer would have to prove that the sales person lied during the presentation. The challenge is how do you prove that s/he lied? It's a matter of he said, she said.

Lance C.
Aug 05, 2017

stevel633 wrote:
You may need to sue the timeshare company on the basis that they lied to you during the sales presentation.

I grow weary of endlessly repeating this, but sadly there is no "percentage" in attempting to challenge the oral misrepresentations of lying sales weasels.

In essence, the contract itself states in black and while that **ONLY** the actual written content of the contract is legally binding. In other words, all of the assorted lies and misrepresentations and exaggerations of the deceitful sales weasels at sales presentations are just completely meaningless noise floating around temporarily in the air --- and that meaningless noise does not constitute a substantive basis for a successful "lawsuit". The sales weasels know this, so they feel free to lie and exaggerate with a straight face and a big smile, with no hesitation. That stinks, but it has been this way for decades and it will remain so until and unless change is FORCED right down the throats of the slimy timeshare developer sales force via strong Federal legislation. Don't hold your breath waiting for THAT to happen however --- certainly not anytime during the tweeting clown show and circus currently masquerading as an "administration".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 11, 2017 05:17 AM

Oct 18, 2017

I just got that call today - I've had them email me the details so I can check it out before I agree to it (pretty sure it's a scam)

Rhema H.
Mar 13, 2018

You can buy the guest thing for 59 bucks. I have sold a week or 2 over the years to friends. Not 12 a year. You will get caught and they will suspend you for a year and keep your money.

Gary M Roberson
Aug 22, 2018

Yes you can rent them out. Just need to activate a guest certificate. It’s really simple and easy.

sonyac33 wrote:

Wendall C.
Aug 23, 2018

wendallc wrote:
Yes you can rent them out. Just need to activate a guest certificate. It’s really simple and easy.

This quoted statement is simply not true or accurate. Both RCI and II specifically prohibit renting out weeks obtained by exchange, Last Calls, or Getaways. You can attempt to "get away with it" if you choose to take that risk, but make no mistake —- it is very clearly against the terms and conditions of membership of both exchange companies. Getting caught could involve on site denial of occupancy to the would-be "tenant" (and loss of the "rental" money they paid) and suspension or termination of the RCI or II membership of the would-be "landlord"; clearly a lose / lose situation for everyone involved. Would you take that risk?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 25, 2018 08:42 AM

Aug 27, 2019

I am VERY thankful I came here when I got one of these calls just minutes ago. I would not have sent them money but I was unaware that it was against the rules to use the system for commercial use. In the RCI disclosure guide under MEMBERSHIP -

C. The Program is for the personal use of Members and, if permitted, their guests, and neither Members nor guest may use the Program for commercial purposes, or monetary or other consideration, including without limitation, auction, barter, rental, raffle or sale of a Confirmed Exchange, Deposited Vacation Time, Inventory or Guest Certificate, for example, and RCI reserves the right to limit the number of Transactions by a Member. Any commercial use shall be grounds for immediate termination of Member’s membership and cancellation of any Exchange Request, Confirmed Exchange or other benefits of the Program without prior suspension of or notice to the Member and any other rights or remedies RCI may have at law.

Under GUEST CERTIFICATES: D. Guest Certificates and Guest Passes may not be used for any commercial purpose, or monetary or other consideration, by Member or guest, including without limitation auction, barter, rental, raffle or sale of the Guest Pass or Guest Certificate or the underlying Confirmed Exchange.

Mike S.
Mar 04, 2020

I was just called about this. The company calling at first said they were with RCI. They transferred me to someone else who said they were ACL, which has a D- rating with the BBB. I looked at RCI website and they said the following. I called RCI and was told this was definitely a scam

Resale Advisory for RCI® Subscribing Members: RCI is aware that entities not affiliated with RCI are contacting timeshare owners ("Owners") and incorrectly stating or implying that they are RCI, authorized by RCI to make offers, or they are affiliated with RCI. These entities may offer to assist in the sale or rental of Owners' timeshare interests for an upfront fee (e.g. offering rental services for Owners' "Getaway Weeks" or "Bonus Weeks" for an up-front fee), or they may invite an Owner to attend an informational "RCI Update meeting" to discuss updates to RCI exchange programs. Please exercise caution if you are contacted by anyone claiming to be related to RCI and call RCI directly at 877-968-7476 (RCI Points® Members) or 800-338-7777 (RCI® Weeks Members) with any questions.

RCI also has been informed that certain resale service providers are offering to sell the timeshare interests of Owners, some of whom are RCI members, and thereby relieve the Owner of her or his ongoing maintenance fee obligation, in exchange for payment of up-front fees and execution of a power of attorney to sell the Owner's timeshare interest. Owners receiving such offers may wish to consult with an attorney and/or their resort to confirm that a transfer of ownership and the corresponding maintenance fee obligation will occur as represented and any resulting sale or rental will be honored.

RCI values its members and supports efforts by the American Resort Development Association (ARDA) and American Resort Development Association-Resort Owners Coalition to help consumers and timeshare owners navigate through the secondary market. While some entities are legitimate resellers or rental agents of timeshare inventory, others are not. For additional information, please see ARDA's ROC website consumer advisories.

If you feel that you have been a victim of one of these scams, please contact your state's attorney general's office or if the need arises, your local law enforcement may be able to assist you.

Laura C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.