Travel Tips & Advice

The Backwaters of Kerala

Sep 20, 2012

The famous tourist place of Kerala offers a huge array of natural riches, each better than the other. Every place is enchanting and offers lot of enjoyment for the tourists. It is an extremely thrilling experience to sail through the backwaters of Kerala. While gliding through the green waters of Kerala one can experience the magical charm of the calmness and serenity mixed with lots of thrill. The backwaters consist of a huge network of waterways, lagoons, lakes, inlets from the sea, natural canals and estuaries.

The major attractions for tourists during the backwater cruises is the journey through the bamboo thickets, palm fringes and bushes, the little villages with coir makers busy at work, water lilies all over the water, coconut palm groves and the traditional huts with thatched roofs. The backwaters extend to about 1900 km across the state and were once used as a trade route.

The longest backwater stretch is the Vembanad Lake which runs through three districts – Kottayam, Alapuzha and Kochi and meets the sea at Kochi port. The other beautiful backwaters which are the favourite of tourists are Valiyaparamba backwaters, Alumkadavu, Chandragiri, Pathiramanal, Willington Island, Thiruvallam etc. Kuttanad is yet another place famous for sailing options. There are many adventurous water sports and exciting rides at Veli Aakulam lagoon. The other common backwater holidays options are Karakoram, Kottayam, Alappuzha, Kochi, Periyar, Kumily, Thekkady, Mararikulam and Marari beach. The major activities in the backwaters include boat races and houseboat cruises. The trip can be made all the more interesting by travelling through houseboats which are now well equipped with a lot of facilities for the tourists

Lenerue J.

Last edited by marty8084 on Sep 20, 2012 11:09 PM

Jan 06, 2015

Yes absolutely correct dude, Kerala is world wide famous for beaches and restaurants. Here I spent my honeymoon tour with best Kerala honeymoon package provider in Kerala. It's a amazing experience in my life, now I feel my trip.

Chris J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.