Point Systems

Marriott Vacation Club point system

Feb 02, 2020

What are MVC Premium Points? How do they differ from regular Destinations Points?

Alan R.
Feb 02, 2020

There are no premium points. Points are points. The salespeople try to make it seem like trust points are more valuable, because that’s all the can sell and that’s how they make their commission. Those who own weeks that elect to use points are made to feel as if their points have less value. This is not the case. When reservations are made, the reservationists are only checking to make sure you have enough points and not if they are trust points or elected points from a week.

Don’t fall for the salesperson’s dribble. There are no premium points.

Charles S.
Feb 02, 2020

Thanks for your reply but there must be something called Premium Points. I currently have two reservations for stays at Marriott resorts. In the cancellation terms they both state that for cancellations 60 days or less prior to the arrival date if the reservation was made using Premium Points then the points will be forfeited. If the reservation is with regular points then the points go into a holding account. I believe a holding account is one from which points can only be used to make reservations no more than 60 days in advance but I'm not sure what the Premium Points are.

Alan R.
Feb 03, 2020

I've always wondered why my Maui week is worth 3,900 points and my Newport Coast week is worth 3,500 when I convert them but to use a week in Maui, it can be about 4,300 points. Newport Coast is about 4,000 points in peak season. My weeks are platinum for both resorts but the inventory for trust owners has dwindled.

Mike G.
Feb 03, 2020

Premium Points question - My best guess is that Premium Vacation Club points are received as a reward for a presentation or as some inducement associated with a sales presentation. Having said that, if they work like regular vacation club points it may not matter.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Feb 03, 2020 12:46 PM

Feb 03, 2020

alanr168 wrote:
Thanks for your reply but there must be something called Premium Points. I currently have two reservations for stays at Marriott resorts. In the cancellation terms they both state that for cancellations 60 days or less prior to the arrival date if the reservation was made using Premium Points then the points will be forfeited. If the reservation is with regular points then the points go into a holding account. I believe a holding account is one from which points can only be used to make reservations no more than 60 days in advance but I'm not sure what the Premium Points are.

I remember now. Premium points are the additional points that owners with fewer than 4000 Destination points (called Owner level) pay when they want to make a reservation for 7 or more nights at 13 months out. Premium points are the additional points (sort of like a tax) to get the 13 month reservation. Those at higher Marriott benefit loyalty tier levels can make the same reservation and not have the premium point penalty.

Sorry I did not realize what you were initially asking. Once you wrote reservations, it immediately clicked.

Charles S.
Feb 04, 2020

Thanks Charles S. that answers my question.

Alan R.
Feb 14, 2020

An observation - We own at Marriott's Newport Coast which is very large (700 villas) and in high demand. Redweek has a feature which allows one to see new rentals as they come on the market for specific properties. I now see the new rentals and I'm surprised at the number of rental postings as they come on as well as those already posted.

My thought is that every villa that comes up for rental is one less exchanged for points and one less available for a point exchange. So, many owners are opting for cash rather than points. Why is this and what are the consequences for the point program?

Later - I thought about this a bit more and realized that with 700 villas there are over 36,000 available weeks. The number rented has to be a very small percentage.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Feb 14, 2020 12:56 PM

Feb 14, 2020

What you refer to as premium points are the points premium (20% points surcharge) that you pay for a reservation in the 13 month reservation window if you don't have a high enough owner status. If you cancel that reservation after the 13 month window has closed, you get your points premium back as restricted points that can only be used in the 60 day reservation window. Convoluted? More like mind bending.

Stephen G.
Feb 24, 2020

My husband and I are considering buying additional destination points on Redweek. I realize these would have to pass ROFR from Marriott, but what are the fees these days to add to our existing “portfolio” of destination points? I had read that there is a minimum fee to Marriott to add these points, but cannot find it anywhere! Also do these additional points when added allow us to move from Executive to the next level within MVC? Thank you!

Marilyn D.
Feb 24, 2020

I think your deeded week is cheaper than the yearly cost for points. I feel that the points are a bad deal when you see the cost to buy and then watch the cost to use them each year. I would be glad to sell my last 1000 points.

richs245 wrote:
Hi, looking for some advice whether to switch to destination points. We own a deeded week in Vegas which we bought ten years ago. We mostly use interval to exchange for European weeks as we live in the UK. Went to a presentation at MVCI yesterday and they were trying to sell us a whole bunch of destination points. Does it make sense to switch? And if so, can you just enroll without having to spend a fortune on more DP's?

Nicholas O.
Feb 24, 2020

$3 per point plus some additional fees for closing. Still much cheaper than buying directly from MVC if you can get passed ROFR. From what I’ve heard once the points are in your account they’re just like points purchased from MVC.

Douglas P.

Last edited by douglasp56 on Feb 24, 2020 12:46 PM

Feb 24, 2020

Sorry, must be doing something wrong, was trying to answer a specific question about resale MVC points fees.

Douglas P.

Last edited by douglasp56 on Feb 24, 2020 12:13 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.