Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Anyone know anything about Finn Law Group?

Feb 11, 2013

I went and did some research and they have an A+ BBB rating and on avvo.com they have a ton of great reviews talking about how they got people out of their timeshares. Then I go on these forums and everyone is saying to not pay any money up front to any company. They charge $3000 to get out of it which at this point I would pay just to be done with it. And I can't donate it because I still owe a bunch on it. So I was hoping someone one hear has used them and/or heard something about them. Thanks.

James T.
Feb 11, 2013

It sounds like a scam. If you owe money on the timeshare then you are stuck with it at least until you are up to date with your fees. Just because a company has an A rating with the BBB doesn't mean anything. They could be so new that there aren't any unresolved complaints yet. There are ways to rid yourelf of an unwanted timeshare but first you have to be current with all fees and charges.

Rule #1 with dealing with any company that claims they can get rid of your timeshare is NEVER pay any upfront money.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Feb 11, 2013 03:28 PM

Feb 11, 2013

Ok. Thanks for the input. I am trying to learn about this stuff.

James T.
Feb 12, 2013

jamest466 wrote:
I went and did some research and they have an A+ BBB rating and on avvo.com they have a ton of great reviews talking about how they got people out of their timeshares. Then I go on these forums and everyone is saying to not pay any money up front to any company. They charge $3000 to get out of it which at this point I would pay just to be done with it. And I can't donate it because I still owe a bunch on it. So I was hoping someone one hear has used them and/or heard something about them. Thanks.

As donp stated .... if you signed a legally binding contract to buy your timeshare then there is no way any entity can relieve you of that debt = money still owed .... all they want is that upfront fee.

R P.
Apr 13, 2013

I am also considering using finn law group....did you ever hire them? I found the same as you - one site says they are the best and the next says they are a scam. Don't know who to believe. I certainly don't want to lose any more money!

jamest466 wrote:

Maureen G.
Apr 13, 2013

There are cheaper ways to get rid of a timeshare without giving $3000 upfront.

Lance C.
Apr 13, 2013

can you share those ways?

Maureen G.
Apr 13, 2013

maureeng129 wrote:
can you share those ways?

You can place an ad here at Redweek in the Bargain Deals to give it away .... for extra incentive offer to pay 2013 maintenance and closing costs .... much cheaper than paying $3000.

R P.
Apr 13, 2013

The first thing I would do is contact your home resort and ask them to take it back through a deed back ( quit claim ). Offer to pay the next years maintenace fees and taxes. I got rid of two timeshares that way. I explained to them that I was going to get rid of them with or without their assistance and they both agreed to take them back. It was inexpensive and a safe way to dispose of them. The home resort didn't have to worry about them being bought by a Viking Ship outfit and spend thousands of dollars in lost fees and expenses only to get them back anyway. NEVER pay anyone any upfront fee to dispose of a timeshare. They are scams if they require an upfront fee.

Don P.
Apr 13, 2013

Signed a contract to buy a timeshare while in mexico although I knew better. my head was spinning by the time we were done. Put down $8000 in deposits. THe next day had buyers remorse - saw our salesperson and she said we would not get our deposit back - it was part of the deal. We decided to live with our decision although we really didn't want to but didn't want to lose the the deposit. When we got back We found out that it was a vacation club and that mexican law says they have to give us our money back if we cancel within 5 days. We have been corresponding with the place and the sales person ever since and have gotten no where. I have not paid them any additional money but was getting 2 and 3 calls a day. we have filed a dispute with the credit card compnay. Now it is with a collection agency and they are saying our credit will be ruined etc... so giving it away is not an option. I have an email from the sales person saying we won't get our deposit back - and another email from the timeshare company saying that had we canceled within the 5 days we would have gotten our money back but becuase we didn't cancel in the 5 days - no go. We were thinking of hiring the finn law group to help us get out of this contract but need to be sure they are legit first.

Maureen G.
Apr 14, 2013

Did you or did you not cancel within the 5 day MX rescission period .... if you did rescind within that period then it's MX law that they refund your deposit. If you did not rescind within that period then you own a timeshare and all the encumbrances that come with that ownership.

No entity on this earth can get you out of a legally binding contract with your signature included.

R P.
Apr 15, 2013

maureeng129 wrote:
We were thinking of hiring the finn law group to help us get out of this contract but need to be sure they are legit first.

The original poster in this thread might be the same person who started the thread here:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187305

There are some replies to the same question there if you want to check out that board.

Lance C.
Apr 16, 2013

We told them we wanted to cancel within the 5 days. We were told and have it in an email that we would not get out deposit back. we decided we didn't want to lose the $8,000 to just bite the bullet. Upon returning home we found out that Mexican Laws says they must return our deposit. Had they not lied to us, the contract would have been canceled in the 5 day period. When we found out we were lied too we immediately contacted the resort and said we wanted to cancel. have been fighting with them ever since and now they have sent it to a collection agency.

Maureen G.
Apr 17, 2013

maureeng129 wrote:
We told them we wanted to cancel within the 5 days. We were told and have it in an email that we would not get out deposit back. we decided we didn't want to lose the $8,000 to just bite the bullet. Upon returning home we found out that Mexican Laws says they must return our deposit. Had they not lied to us, the contract would have been canceled in the 5 day period. When we found out we were lied too we immediately contacted the resort and said we wanted to cancel. have been fighting with them ever since and now they have sent it to a collection agency.

How did you notify them? You can't just verbally tell or email them that you want to cancel .... you have to give (or USPS mail) them a signed (by you) legal rescission notice.

If you think that you've been defrauded you can contact Profeco (the consumer advocacy agency in MX) and file a complaint.

R P.
Feb 25, 2014

I know for a fact that they can get you out of your time share. I know several people who have hired Finn Law Group and got out of their time share. Yes, it is a life long binding contract, but Finn Law Group works with the resorts to get a release or a QCD. So, please, to anyone who is desperate to get out, and is tired of the lies and rising maintenance fees that you are stuck with for the rest of your life (even if your mortgage is paid off), you should call and speak to someone there! Like I said, I know quite a few people who did get out of this contract.

Nicole M.
Feb 26, 2014

SHILL !!!!!!!!!!!! The above has been a commercial advertisement presented by a Finn Law Firm SHILL.

Don P.
Feb 26, 2014

nicolem348 wrote:
So, please, to anyone who is desperate to get out, and is tired of the lies and rising maintenance fees that you are stuck with for the rest of your life (even if your mortgage is paid off), you should call and speak to someone there!

Or an owner could simply ask the resort to take the deed back. The resort might charge closing costs and possibly the next year's maintenance fees, but it would still come out cheaper than hiring a law firm to negotiate a deed back.

Another suggestion is to try to list your timeshare in the Bargain Basement here on RedWeek. Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com) has a Bargain Deals section where an owner can advertise for free that he wants to give his unit away. Even if he offers to pay the closing costs (about $180 through Legal Timeshare Transfers) and the next year's maintenance fees, he will still come out cheaper than using a law firm.

Lance C.
Feb 26, 2014

nicolem348 wrote:
I know for a fact that they can get you out of your time share. I know several people who have hired Finn Law Group and got out of their time share. Yes, it is a life long binding contract, but Finn Law Group works with the resorts to get a release or a QCD. So, please, to anyone who is desperate to get out, and is tired of the lies and rising maintenance fees that you are stuck with for the rest of your life (even if your mortgage is paid off), you should call and speak to someone there! Like I said, I know quite a few people who did get out of this contract.

Yes, she's a shill .... ONE MORE TIME if you signed a legally binding contract to buy your timeshare then there is NO ENTITY ON EARTH that can relieve you of that debt unless FRAUD CAN BE PROVEN ..... the only thing such entities above want is that upfront fee = retainer.

R P.
Feb 26, 2014

I don't think so! I was just saying what I was told by people in my community who hired them. That was not very nice. I was just trying to be helpful! Geez!

Nicole M.
Feb 27, 2014

So you don't know about them personally and you come in here singing their praises and promoting thier firm......................SHILL !!!!!

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.