Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Molokai, Maui & Lanai Towers

Selling deed weeks vs. destination points

Sep 30, 2013

As an owner of a few prime weeks at both the Ocean Club and Napili towers I decided to not be left behind and bought into the points program just to have the options (one that I doubt I'll exercise much since Maui XMas/New Years is exactly where I want to be and the rental demand is high)..

That said my MIL didn't buy the points and owns weeks 51 & 52 in the old tower. Question is about resale. How do you think the points program has effected the values and sales of the deeded weeks in the resale market? Do you think there is more value to having deed property that can easily be exchanged or that it's a handicap to not be part of the program at the time of sale.

I spoke with Marriott customer service and confirmed that only the original owner can convert to the Destinations Points program. Wondering if it would be wise to pay a whopping $2300 to join the program prior to the sale as at that point they are transferable.

Looking forward to reading comments. Especially interested in those who have tried and/or been successful in selling since the points program came into play.

Julie V.
Mar 17, 2014

Can someone explain to me the difference between RTU weeks and deeded weeks with the Marriott system. Which one is worth more?

Sharon E.
Apr 03, 2014

Just bought from a previous owner a deeded week. Much better in my opinion. Got caught up in the add points to your deeded week units and you can get great flexibility. Neglected to tell us the points have a 2 yr expiry!! We have tried for 2 years to get Maui at Christmas or New Years which is where we have deeded units. NEVER possible so had to finally take 4,days ahead of our arrival leaving points unused so lost. Marriott sells air!!!

klalaw
Aug 03, 2016

Is it still possible to sell a Marriott deeded week on redweek? It looks like all of the units for sale are now points.

Gail A.
Aug 03, 2016

Gail -

Yes, you can certainly sell your deeded Marriott week on our website. You would post it on the resort page if you are using the do-it-yourself method, or if you prefer to use the full-service resale option, then you would start by filling out the form on this page: Full Service Resale

If you have further questions, please Contact Us .

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Aug 04, 2016

You can sell deeded weeks same as always. I have some posted myself.

Julie

Julie V.
Nov 29, 2018

We are looking to sell our deeded Marriott vacation club destination points. We have 3000 deeded points (apparently they are separated into (12) 250 units totaling 3000 points). We only have 1750 of the 2019 points in the bank but want to sell now. We closed on the points on 8-21-11. Questions:

Does our use year run Jan-Dec or Sept-Aug? How do I find the answer to that? I am finding conflicting information on- line. Can we sell the points now, if we disclose that there are only 1750 remaining in 2019?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. We are already Redweek members.

Kate S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.