Ask RedWeek

maintenance fee

Jul 20, 2014

I am being tempted to buy a share,I am just wondering how often are the maintenance fee collected?

Joe M.
Jul 21, 2014

joem790 wrote:
I am being tempted to buy a share,I am just wondering how often are the maintenance fee collected?

Generally, it's in January each year for the year your interval is in. That can vary.

But before you buy a timeshare, make sure you know all the ins and outs of what you are buying. Compare the maintenance fees with what you could rent that unit for. If the maintenance fees exceed what the unit could be rented for, then I would not buy it, even if it is a cheap (or free) resale.

Also try to figure out the other accompanying costs of owning a timeshare. For instance, how much would it cost to get your family there? How much would food and other important items cost? What about transportation (car rental, buses, taxis, etc.)?

One recommendation is to simply rent from other owners for a time or two (ie. "try before you buy") and use this opportunity to figure out if timeshare ownership is right for you.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.