Ask RedWeek

Payment and rental agreement

Dec 29, 2014

Hi, would Redweek recommend an specific form of payment? I have rented a timeshare from Marriott Aruba Surf Club paying with Paypal twice. But I have been asked two times to send cashiers check to addresses in USA. IS this safe? Is there any way to receive a refund in case of a scam with this kind of agreement?

On the other hand, is there a way to make an owner keep a rental agreement? Though I started negotiating with an owner and asked him to wait for me until tomorrow while I found airline tickets. Today he answered me that he rented the unit, and I still see that is available on the webpage.

Thanks, Hecma Arellano

Hecma A.
Dec 29, 2014

I would not be comfortable sending a cashiers check. I would insist on using paypal or some means that I could dispute the charge if it is a scam.

Don P.
Dec 29, 2014

Hecma, I hear you. At a minimum I would also suggest he provide you with a rental contract in writing, asking for the cashier's check, but as Don said, could be a scam. If you do do it photocopy everything putting as much on one sheet as possible. I paid $1100 on paypal earlier this year for 8 nights at a Westin from ebay. Even with paypal, I felt the risk of being scammed but since this owner was on ebay since 2002 and had over 300 positive feedbacks I felt safest with that knowledge. Anyways good luck!

Phil J.

Last edited by philj47 on Dec 29, 2014 04:34 PM

Dec 29, 2014

Hecma -

The only form of payment that ensures a safe transaction is through the rental escrow services of First American Title. You can Click Here to find out more information.

If you choose to not use First American, you can visit this page for suggested ways to Stay Safe

Please Contact Us if you have any further questions.

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Dec 30, 2014

Thank you for your response... I certainly do not feel confortable sending a cashiers check.... I will wait for another posting... Thanks...

Hecma A.
Dec 30, 2014

Thank you very much... Yes, at least with paypal there is a third party in the negotiation... I will wait for another posting... thanks!

Hecma A.
Dec 30, 2014

Thank you... I will read about the rental escrow services...

Hecma A.
Jan 15, 2015

I rented a timeshare and sent a rental agreement. The rental agreement was never signed, but the nonrefundable deposit payment was paid through paypal. Now the renters want a discount of $300 and the remainder was due on January 1st. I already reduced by price by $300 for them. They have not paid yet and I have been in contact with them. They keep saying give them a couple of days since January 1st they have responded twice. I offered them a different payment plan- no response to that. I told them them must pay by January 15th or they would forfeit their deposit and I would try to rent it to someone else. Is that legal? After all they didn't sign the contract. I sent it to them and they didn't sign it. I am not sure what to do about this. Bad renters, but they paid the initial deposit. What should I do? Thanks- Debbie

Debbie N.
Jan 15, 2015

www.airbnb.com is interesting.

Phil J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.