Ask RedWeek

Brokerage Group MHP

Aug 12, 2015

The above brokerage firm has made me an offer to sell my timeshare at the Grand Luxxe Residence Club. Has anyone dealt with this company? I have been scammed before ; once bitten twice shy.

Arlene G.
Aug 12, 2015

arlene174 wrote:
The above brokerage firm has made me an offer to sell my timeshare at the Grand Luxxe Residence Club. Has anyone dealt with this company? I have been scammed before ; once bitten twice shy.

Well if you have been scammed before, then see if this offer follows the pattern of the previous scam. If it does, then what would make you think that this new company is legitimate. The usual pattern is an unexpected telemarketing call and an offer to sell or rent out your unit for far above market value.

Never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare. That is almost always a scam. A lot of these scam operations are now telling their potential victims that there is no upfront fee and that their payment comes out of the proceeds of the sale, etc. But what they do is tell you they have found a buyer who has paid an unreasonable large sum. That's the scam operations ploy, to paralyze you with excitement and stop you from thinking rationally. Then, when you're focused on what to do with all that money, they tell you that there is some sort of fee or tax that has to be paid in order to complete the deal.

The fee/tax might sound reasonable (transfer tax, closing costs, filing fees, etc.) but they are bogus The scam artist might even tell you that the money will go into escrow and given back to you once all the papers and transfers are complete. There is no escrow and no money-back guarantee!

So, please, learn from your previous mistake and don't fall for such a scam.

Lance C.
Aug 12, 2015

Thank you for you comments. What you said is true from what they are saying. I'm done with this group. Thank you again.

Arlene G.
Aug 14, 2015

I also had a call from this company two days ago regarding Grand Luxxe (except that their info was dated and they had us listed as owning Mayan Palace and not using said property--which was true before we returned to Mayan Palace in February 2015 and upgraded for reasons I will not enumerate--probably fooled again). The Brokerage Group MHP offer is simply too good to be true.

We have also been burned by timeshare sales and listing agents in the past. They tell you that the fees will come from the sales proceeds in order to persuade you to proceed, but I have told by (someone else) that we would still be responsible for the commission (legally) even if the funds are never transferred. The last broker suggested immediately transferring any wired funds to another bank account so that the transfer could not be reversed, but we still did not proceed with the offer because we were afraid of losing still more money. While we have enjoyed our timeshares in the past, these predatory scams have made us wary and mistrustful of all timeshare. We wish that we were completely out of all timeshare, but we are living and learning.

Jane S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.