General Discussion

Don't Rent from Redweek - you have no recourse if things go wrong at the hotel

Feb 11, 2016

On January 25th I checked into the Marriott Surf Club. I rented a week from an owner on this site. The problem is, our room at the Marriott Surf Club was covered in ants. They were all over the floor, on the counters, in the cabinets, in the carpets, I mean everywhere.!!!! So we asked if they could switch our room because at 11:30pm at night (when I checked in with my 4 children aged 2-13, my husband and my sitter) I didn't feel they could remedy the situation in a timely fashion. The manager said he could not accommodate a room change. I even offered splitting us up into separate rooms since we had 3 adults. He said no. He could only offer me $100 resort credit. We were stunned! However, we were committed to not staying in that room. So we spent an hour at the front desk (bc the phone in our room didn't work) calling hotels all over Aruba until we could find one to accommodate us. We checked out at 1:30am. The manager never tried to help us. I know there were other rooms available because I could see them on my Marriott app. This guy could care less because he knew I wasn't the owner (the owners name is still on the reservation with mine). At the end of the day, I am out $5,000 I pair to the timeshare owner and far more than another $5000 it cost me to spend at another hotel. Its a disgrace. Marriott Vacation Club will be dealt with but I want Renters seeking rentals to know, you are without recourse if anything goes wrong.

Denise G.
Feb 12, 2016

I probably would have found another place overnight and given Marriott until 10 am or noon the next morning to get the room in better shape especially knowing that non refundable payments had been paid. Yes unfortunately that is a risk of renting anything that requires a non refundable payment. This is true through redweek, priceline, many direct hotel sites that offer reduced rentals that are non refundable as well as condo and house rentals through VRBO or airbnb.

Tracey S.
Feb 16, 2016

I think this is a Marriott Surf Club problem neither redweek or the owner. I have always stay in marriott´s hotels and resorts and never had a problem. It´s a shame that the manager did´t help you since this was a really uncomfortable situation.

A V.
Mar 12, 2016

To deniseg332,

Have you contacted the owner?

Thomas and Christine R.
Oct 02, 2018

This a Marriott Vacationclub problem...write to their President if local mgr won’t accommodate

Lawrence K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.