Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Has anyone ever sold their timeshare to Despegar.com travel agency?

Jul 15, 2018

Yes, I thought I had I did, but they alas took my money with nothing in return. And surprise, surprise, when I tried to follow-up anywhere, the numbers magically weren't answering any longer. Also contacted the Secret Service, and they told me the same thing. This is a good reminder that I need to contact them and provide the information. And I also was recently contacted by CTrip as well, which on the outside looks to be legit, but as soon as I asked for specific references of a successful sale, they stopped calling and emailing. They tried a couple times to get me to sign a paper with all my ownership details, but I refused until they provided a reference. Again, another surprise (NOT!!), I haven't heard anything from them.

I'd still be interested in unloading my timeshare, so if anybody can provide legitimate references, provide them in this community!

Frank R.
Jul 15, 2018

DO not fall for it...it's a scam!

Debra J.
Aug 16, 2018

Laike Property Management Co, Portland, Oregon, put a rush on us to buy our Los Cabos Golf Resort time share. Pretty slick with striking letter head paper, big name ready to buy, lots of formal forms etc. Worked with escrow guy, very cordial, "the funds are waiting to be dispersed". Then he sent a US tax credit form for the amount of taxes we needed to pay before funds can be released. Went to bank to make the tranfer to pay the tax. Warning bells went off. Why are they not subtracting SAT taxes $2,959.00 in Mx before payment is sent to us? SCAM?? If you have been scammed report to WWW.RIPOFFREPORT.COM

Sandra C.
Aug 17, 2018

sandrac533 wrote:
Then he sent a US tax credit form for the amount of taxes we needed to pay before funds can be released. Went to bank to make the tranfer to pay the tax. Warning bells went off. Why are they not subtracting SAT taxes $2,959.00 in Mx before payment is sent to us? SCAM?? If you have been scammed report to WWW.RIPOFFREPORT.COM

Good for you for seeing the warning bells before wiring your money to Mexico (which would subsequently be lost). Sadly many people's eyes light up with dollar signs when they get these offers and then fail to think rationally like you did.

Lance C.
Aug 18, 2018

This is a scam which I unfortunately was sucked into. The scammers impersonate Despegar, Bank of Montreal, Home Realty of Rochester, Profeco and the MX govt. to induce you to wire money into various mysterious accounts in MX. They also pose as a phony law firm: Jordan Diamond. DO NOT EVER WIRE MONEY AS PART OF A TIMESHARE RESALE TRANSACTION. IT IS A SCAM. They will try to keep up a narrative to get you to keep wiring money. At one point they had me believing that there was a certified check waiting for me at the border and I had to wire 16% of the checks value to MX Customs to get the check released. I fell for it. Don't be a sucker. If you get a call from any "travel service"' company offering to buy your timeshare hang up the phone.

Lisa D.
Sep 06, 2018

Could you please give me a sense of WHEN you were contacted by Laike??? It is quite important as I working with them on my Club Regina contract in Puerto Vallarta, My lawyer gave them an excellent bill of health and your comments raise a red flag for me I have worked with the folks in OR and they have been very cordial and responsive

Broken
Sep 26, 2018

good luck=)

William H.

Last edited by williamh1011 on Sep 26, 2018 01:27 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.