Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Vallarta Gardens Timeshare Scam

Apr 22, 2024

Our experience was bad. The place was nice, but the proposed deal of buying the place and then making our money back via rentals never made much sense to me, and sounded "too good to be true." The high-pressure sales guy talked us into signing a contract which we had a right to cancel within 3 days. I then started investigating and found lots of warnings on the internet that it was a scam. I told the salesman that we wanted to exercise our right to cancel within 3 days, we just did not feel comfortable about the whole setup. That's when everything got surreal.

The salesman tried to double talk us out of canceling, then told us we could not cancel, then introduced us to an obvious gangster type who got real mean and threatening in his manner. I told them I was contacting a Mexican lawyer and finally they let us cancel, but insisted we not bad mouth them to the other purchasers who were there at the same time.

I really feel we dodged a bullet. There was a holding company in Peru, and it seemed like they had it all set up so they can just steal people's money (people from U.S., Canada, Europe, etc.) and then the difficulty in dealing with Mexican and Peruvian legal systems would end up being too confusing and expensive to be worth suing them.

However, here is another weird part: Every six months or so someone calls and tells us they want to "buy back" the unit or distribute the "income" to me. When I tell them I cancelled and never bought a membership, they persist, telling me I can still get money, that I might have bought a membership without knowing, etc. (Obviously, it is a con job. They want me to get attached to the idea of getting some extra money, and then they will start asking for fees and taxes and so on.)

One guy called today, 5 years later, and told me he is a lawyer in a class action suit trying to get me paid for my "investment". When I asked, he said the suit was pending in Jalisco, Mexico (the state where we had stayed). Even though I told him we canceled our contract and did not pay anything this Mexican attorney (if that is what he really is) kept trying to persuade me that he could probably get me paid because of some other things in the contract that we might not have cancelled. He even told me a lot of people think they have no contract but it turns out they do.

He promised to send me some court paperwork. I'll see if he does. But the whole thing has a strong smell of SCAM to me. How could I get money if I did not pay anything? The game is to just con me out of fees or personal information, like a Nigerian Prince con, I am 99%sure.

Akruranath D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.