Ask RedWeek

getting rid of points program resort

Jun 20, 2016

I have purchased a RCI points resort- Oakmont Resorts ( Lando Resorts Corp.) I never should have done it, but was caught in the high pitch sells process. I did this in April 2015 and have been paying the monthly fee. I have never visited the place in Tennessee and don't expect to do so. My question is, do you think I can offer to have the people to just take back the timeshare and resolve me from making payments. Both me and my wife are in our 70's and our health and finances are such that we no longer travel as we did 5-10 years ago. Appreciate your advise on how we make get rid of this added expense resort.

William F.
Jun 20, 2016

First point is to never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare because that is always a scam.

Next, try calling the resort or its Homeowners' Association (HOA) and explain your situation. The resort might agree to take it back. It might ask you to pay closing costs and possibly the next maintenance fee.

One important question is Have you paid off the mortgage?

Lance C.
Jun 21, 2016

No, unfortunately I just signed up for this resort in spring 2014. So I got about 2-3 years to go.

William F.
Jun 21, 2016

williamf413 wrote:
No, unfortunately I just signed up for this resort in spring 2014. So I got about 2-3 years to go.

Well if you still owe on the mortgage, you will not be able to give it away to someone else. As stinging as this suggestion is, pay off the mortgage fist and then try to give it away. Just be careful of some of these companies (many of them come on these boards as shills) that claim they can "cancel" your timeshare and mortgage.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.