Ask RedWeek

WorldMark/Wyndham points

Jul 12, 2016

My In-Laws have 20,000 points and are Silver VIP owners at WorldMark/Wyndham. They are older now, and don't travel much anymore. They still owe about $3-4,000 dollars, and their maint. fees are $125 mo. Is it worth it for my wife & I to take over paying the maint. fees? Thanks for your help.

Steve D.
Jul 12, 2016

Go over to the Timeshare Companies forum and look at the pinned thread about Wyndham's Ovation program where owners might be able to give back their ownerships for a fee. However, I believe that the owners must be up to date on their mortgages and maintenance fees.

And if you're wondering if it's worth it for you to take over paying maintenance fees, I would say probably not. One hundred twenty-five dollars per month ($1500/yr.) is a lot and that would depend on what you get for $1500. Do you feel that it would be worth it for you to spend $1500 per week for accommodations? You have to answer that for yourself as tastes, preferences, and circumstances vary from one person to another.

Lance C.
Jul 13, 2016

Thanks for your reply Lancec13, My in laws have 20,000 points, and that would get us 2 weeks in a 2 br condo at all peak seasons in just about every resort. Since it is just me and my wife, we would only need a 1 bedroom or studio, so that would get us 3+ weeks at most resorts. $1500/21 (3 weeks) = about $71 per night. Thats a pretty good rate I think?

Steve D.
Jul 13, 2016

If you know that you are going to vacation in a Wyndham timeshare three weeks every year, then that is a pretty good rate. But you have to make sure you use those three weeks otherwise the per-night right jumps. Whether you use these points or not, the maintenance fees still have to be paid every January.

Also remember the mortgage still has to be paid off. Who will pay for that? Then, if you are transferring ownership from your in-laws to you, there are transfer fees, closing fees, and Wyndham's internal $299 transfer fee.

Lance C.
Aug 12, 2016

I was at a presentation today and was told that a resale property would not have VIP status. Is that accurate?

Barbara L.
Aug 13, 2016

miker303 wrote:
I was at a presentation today and was told that a resale property would not have VIP status. Is that accurate?

That does sound about right. But keep in mind that whatever extra you pay for a developer sale over a resale is far more than what the VIP status is worth. So in other words, just buy a resale (if you are intent on owning one) and use the money you saved by buying a resale to purchase whatever benefits VIP status may offer. You will still come out ahead.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.