General Discussion

Is TUG Helpful?

Apr 05, 2018

Has anyone used TUG? It’s the Timeshare Users Group. Is is helpful? I’ve been reading it but I see a lot of people arguing with each other so I am not sure if I can trust it. Is it reputable?

Jane S.
Apr 06, 2018

No, not really. Redweek is much better. On Tug, people are really cheap and trying to take advantage of sellers and developers. They brag about how to rip off the developers, they go to timeshare presentations for free breakfast, and they squabble over how to get a resale really cheap from another person, forgetting that to get that great deal, someone had to pay full price or they would not have it. You also can't tell if their sales or rental listings are legitimate. I had a bad experience trying to buy a resale timeshare there. Now, I only use Redweek.

Ryan B.
Apr 06, 2018

No, I used to read it sometimes but I noticed a lot of people weren't using it to talk about timeshares. They were posting about irrelevant topics and then debating each other. There seemed to be a lot of trollers who were mean. I stopped using it because of that. It made me think maybe timeshares weren't a good investment because people would argue over whether it was or not. They did a lot of math calculations and then argued about it. Even though their name implied they were supporting timeshares, I didn't get the idea they liked timeshares.

Sandy D.
Apr 06, 2018

What is tug? Never heard of it.

Tiffany R.
Apr 06, 2018

TUG is an acronym for Timeshare Users Group, a independent web site with no hidden or commercial agenda and, in my personal opinion, the most knowledgeable people anywhere on Planet Earth when it comes to timeshare matters. See https://www.tug2.net if you are interested in checking out the site for yourself.

TUG has been around for about 25 years, currently has over 88,000 people registered, and has many different topic-specific discussion forums. Collectively, information posted there literally represents centuries worth of timeshare knowledge and experience. Differing points of view get expressed on TUG, but the discussions are generally among very well informed people and are conducted in a civilized manner.

I've been a paying member of both TUG and RedWeek for over a decade now. In my opinion, RedWeek is a much better site for finding or posting timeshare rentals and resales, TUG is a far better site for well informed, knowledgeable forum content. That said, some very experienced people on TUG do not "suffer fools gladly", so posters sometimes resent getting immediately "called out" when they post bogus, inaccurate or self-promoting material on TUG. Shills are "run off" both RedWeek and TUG quite effectively and any "peddling" of commercial services (whether legitimate or not) is strictly prohibited within the discussion forums of both sites.

Personal preference is an individual prerogative. How anyone could possibly have a "beef" of any kind with either TUG or RedWeek escapes me completely since, on both sites, participation is voluntary --- people can simply ignore anything they don't agree with or in which they are not interested. To me, TUG is an encyclopedia of complete and current knowledge, information and experience on any and all aspects of timeshares. To me, RedWeek is the best site anywhere for finding and / or posting timeshare rentals or resales. In short, the two sites are (in my personal opinion) quite different from one another and each site has its' own individual strengths and weaknesses. There is really no good or valid reason to "bad mouth" either site.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 11, 2018 04:00 AM

Apr 06, 2018

I agree completely with ken. I also am a member of both, I use TUG as a resource in that there many people posting and I'm able to keep up with new developments in the system I belong to. I have posted both rent and sales in both but have much better luck renting or selling in red week. As Ken mentioned both have there strength and weakness. I just look past the chronic complainers.

William P.
Apr 06, 2018

ryanb354 wrote:
On Tug, people are really cheap and trying to take advantage of sellers and developers. They brag about how to rip off the developers, they go to timeshare presentations for free breakfast, and they squabble over how to get a resale really cheap from another person, forgetting that to get that great deal, someone had to pay full price or they would not have it.

Actually, if you read the many posts and threads, you will see that most people on TUG advise against going to sales presentations even if there are "free" breakfasts or other incentives. And as for "[getting] a resale really cheap from another person", you might notice that it benefits not only the buyer but also the seller. In most cases, the seller is usually glad to unload the unit to another person for free in order to avoid paying maintenance fees on something that he is not using to the full.

And if you're really annoyed that "on Tug, people are really cheap and trying to take advantage of sellers and developers", that's probably because developers and their sales people are just as unethical with their sales tactics.

Now as for the original poster's question, my answer would be "depends on whether you are talking about TUG's public forum or its Marketplace."

Lance C.
Apr 06, 2018

sandyd192 wrote:
No, I used to read it sometimes...It made me think maybe timeshares weren't a good investment because people would argue over whether it was or not. They did a lot of math calculations and then argued about it. Even though their name implied they were supporting timeshares, I didn't get the idea they liked timeshares.

Timeshares are not a good financial investment for flipping like most real estate. For many owners, owning timeshares is an investment in accommodations while on vacation.

And if you read through some of the threads, you will see there are many happy owners who love their timeshare(s). But as many people (especially on TUG) will say, timeshare ownership is not for everyone. For different people's circumstances, preferences, needs, and financial situations, ownership can be great. For others, it's a nightmare.

TUG is also very helpful for people who know little about timeshares, to avoid the many financial traps and scams out there aimed at timeshare owners and would-be owners.

Lance C.
Apr 06, 2018

I used to go on Tug a lot. Not anymore. The more experienced I became as a timeshare owner buying resale, the more I realized the people on Tug are super biased and the moderators and some of the old timers have a group think mentality. If you say anything even slightly against them, they threaten to ban you. Or they attack you. It is an adversarial user group. If you are new and know nothing, it is fine. You can learn a lot as a newbie. Just be careful because you may end up buying a cheap trader if you follow their advice. If you are tough as nails and like to fight and do not technically break their user guidelines, you are will enjoy Tug too. If you take time to read through many of their threads, you will see what I mean. They can suck you in so be careful. I became addicted for awhile trying to prove my point. I finally decided Tug was a waste of my time and quit. Most of the time, the people on Tug are not that smart or well off, with a few exceptions. I do not think most of the people on Tug are qualified to be giving advice since they are so biased. They make fun of people who buy from developers. They are adversarial with developers. They love to blame the victim. They love to "grab" things. They use the word "grab" a lot. The old timers just seem like a selfish, greedy bunch of people trying to outsmart others. This is not to say that there are not many wonderful people on Tug. If you go on Tug, just be careful. Do not trust or believe everything you hear there or anywhere else when it comes to timeshares. Timeshares are not for everyone. Most timeshares are downscale and hard to get out of. Even some of the Marriotts and Westins are getting hard to sell these days. You could end up with a liability for many years of you do not buy a high demand time share like Hawaii or Disney. The traders are becoming less valuable as trading fees are going up and the market changes and it gets harder to get a good trade. So a lot of Tug advice is becoming outdated. I can tell you I have done many things that are the opposite of what they advised and done very well. If I had listened to Tug, I would have been screwed in many ways.

Marley S.

Last edited by marleys2 on Apr 06, 2018 06:45 PM

Apr 08, 2018

Knowledge is power , and you sure not going to get all the right info from the developer. Lots of verbal promises to get us to buy, get them in writing anything that sold you on what your looking for.

So the discussion forums are very important to best use, purchase, or rent a timeshare.

Tug is a wealth of info, as is Redweek. Lurk and learn. They both can be tough on people but this is a great way to find out the best way for all systems to utilize what you have and/or want.

I consider myself an expert in my HICV ( Holiday Inn Vacation Club ) system. Thanks to these two web-sights, learning more every day. Knocked down a peg or two on both web-sights, keeping to myself most the time. Unless it's a general timeshare question I would not chime in on a system I was not a owner of.

People chime in with "in general" knowledge of timeshares all the time giving bad advice but if you do the reading you'll see through it. Just like anything on the internet, comments are made when they really should have scrolled right on buy.

All systems are not alike, and I'm happy to have these 2 sources of info at my fingertips.

Dave

Dave

Last edited by davidg1131 on Apr 08, 2018 07:15 AM

Apr 09, 2018

I’ve had success with rentals posted on TUG2.

One of the things I find helpful on Tug2 is the Resort reviews. I’m grateful for the members who post reviews of their timeshare stays. The Tug forum helps guide newbies to make wise choices when considering purchasing a timeshare.

Carol P.
Feb 18, 2019

Please don´t trust this Tug2 Timeshare scam group. As you can see on their website, they promote professional scammers as Licenced Timeshare Resale Broker Association, and the worst of all they advertise with a banner the Interval International which is a worldwide proven scam. Don´t you believe it? Okay... I suggest you search for the information on Google by Yourself. You can find clues anywhere on Complaints Board, Scam adviser, Trustpilot, Redweek, and TUG2 itself. Have you realized that TUG2, so as other Timeshare Scams moved their locations and change names every time their businesses are overloaded by hundreds of scam reports by timeshare owners? It´s funny and annoying at the same time don´t you think? They were Timeshare users group.com then they changed to TUGBBS, then again changed to TUG2.com and nowadays they are TUG2.net. We can see the same thing with Vidanta that turned into Mayan Palace while Diamond Resorts International changed their business name to "Inside the Gates" managed by two brilliant scammers: Craig Johnson and Bill Curtis. If you still think that I´m kidding you, then I dare you to search on Google and Bing by Yourself. There is plenty of information throughout the web, nonetheless, if you don´t use the Search Engines correctly then you will not find the information to verify what I state here.

janes635 wrote:
Has anyone used TUG? It’s the Timeshare Users Group. Is is helpful? I’ve been reading it but I see a lot of people arguing with each other so I am not sure if I can trust it. Is it reputable?

Rhonda A.
Feb 18, 2019

In addition to all the negatives you are spouting out about TUG, you do realize that many have found TUG to be helpful, don't you? It has helped many people with their rescission thus avoiding throwing away millions of dollars in retail sales.

It has helped many: 1)...not-so-knowledgeable and new owners of timeshares and vacation clubs avoid the many upfront resale and rental scams.

2)...owners avoid the pitfalls of throwing away thousands of dollars on these so-called "exit" or "cancellation" companies.

3)...owners who were wanting to get rid of their timeshares by having a forum allowing them to advertise for free that they want to give their unit away and have successfully done so.

4)...potential buyers do a lot of research before buying what they want at resale prices without having to pay the huge developers' prices.

So even though you might not have received any personal benefit from using TUG, many others have.

Lance C.
Feb 19, 2019

rhondaa87 wrote:
Please don´t trust this Tug2 Timeshare scam group. As you can see on their website, they promote professional scammers as Licenced Timeshare Resale Broker Association, and the worst of all they advertise with a banner the Interval International which is a worldwide proven scam. Don´t you believe it? Okay... I suggest you search for the information on Google by Yourself. You can find clues anywhere on Complaints Board, Scam adviser, Trustpilot, Redweek, and TUG2 itself. Have you realized that TUG2, so as other Timeshare Scams moved their locations and change names every time their businesses are overloaded by hundreds of scam reports by timeshare owners? It´s funny and annoying at the same time don´t you think? They were Timeshare users group.com then they changed to TUGBBS, then again changed to TUG2.com and nowadays they are TUG2.net. We can see the same thing with Vidanta that turned into Mayan Palace while Diamond Resorts International changed their business name to "Inside the Gates" managed by two brilliant scammers: Craig Johnson and Bill Curtis. If you still think that I´m kidding you, then I dare you to search on Google and Bing by Yourself. There is plenty of information throughout the web, nonetheless, if you don´t use the Search Engines correctly then you will not find the information to verify what I state here.

What a bunch of ill informed crap and utter nonsense. Momentarily (and only momentarily) amusing, but completely inaccurate.

Timeshare Users Group (TUG) is now 25 years old and currently has almost 94,000 members. Most TUG members are simply timeshare owners and users, with no commercial association with the timeshare industry, no profit motive and no hidden agendas. Collectively, they represent several centuries worth of direct, first hand knowledge and experience regarding timeshares. That's knowledge and experience that they are willing to post and share with others, with no personal gain or personal benefit (aside from the satisfaction of helping others). What "beef" could you (or anyone else) possibly have with that???

As far as different Internet addresses by which to reach the TUG site on the Internet, what's your point? There is no deceit; it has been just one single site for 25 years now, started by one man and now administered by his son, Brian Rogers. By the way, TUG does not "promote" anyone or anything. Some timeshare related businesses choose to purchase banner ads on the (non-profit) TUG web site, seeking (and paying for) exposure for their business to a precisely targeted "audience". In no universe does that constitute TUG "promoting" any of those entities; that's just a really silly and grossly inaccurate statement. That's like claiming that a billboard manufacturer is "promoting" the entities that later place ads on billboards they made --- complete nonsense.

In my own observation and experience, the people who "bad mouth" TUG seem to be people with developer affiliation or who have some other profit-seeking or hidden agenda, scammers who are unhappy (and maybe embarrassed) about being openly exposed, or people disgruntled about a timeshare purchase they made but now regret. Which category do you fall into?

As far as LTRBA goes, LTRBA really doesn't have anything at all to do with TUG (although some LTRBA realtors are TUG members). LTRBA agents are unrelated, licensed realtors who work with the resale timeshare market. Their noteworthy (and admirable, in my opinion) "claim to fame" is that they get a commission ONLY from the proceeds of a sale; they require no money "upfront" and get no payment at all if they don't sell the timeshare. What "beef" could you (or anyone else) possibly have with that practice? It is true that there is a minimum LTRBA commission ($1,500 when last I knew, some time ago) upon a successful sale. For anyone seeking (dreaming?) to sell a low demand and low value timeshare that is not worth $1,500 in the first place, LTRBA and its' brokers and / or commission structure may obviously (and understandably) not be of much practical use or interest.

The above are indisputable and accurate facts. For the record, I have been a TUG member myself for about 12 years now. Like most TUG members and TUG BBS participants, I have no (and I have never had any) affiliation of any kind with any segment of the timeshare industry. Like many others on TUG, I'm just an owner of a few timeshare weeks (for over 35 years now, in my case) with an interest in the topic and in learning from the knowledge and experience of others. Nothing more.

In short, you clearly have no idea at all what you are talking about. Your very strange rant against TUG is inappropriate, factually inaccurate, entirely unwarranted and woefully lacking in substance or truth.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 20, 2019 06:04 AM

Mar 09, 2019

Thanks! Best comparison I have ever heard about TUG and Redweek! That helped a lot!

Nathan B.
Sep 06, 2019

The people who are abrasive on TUG are abrasive here also.

It's just how the Internet is, that some people can't express opinions or debate issues without directing personal criticism at others.

This post is an example of personal criticism, but not directed at specific people; it's just a comment about the Internet and forums.

One thing about TUG is that the "Like" button allows those with a point of view to team up with others with the same point of view, so they can pile on those with the different point of view. The abrasive people "Like" other abrasive people. The nice people "Like" other nice people.

Sorta like in real life.

Unlike 20 years ago, when people on TUG bragged and gloated about how smart they were to buy at certain resorts because they were great traders with cheap maintenance fees, the braggers and gloaters now are the ones who own in high-end, hoyty-toyty corporate systems. Now, they are the Smart people with all the answers, and they really don't care to hear from the many millions of owners who do not own in those types of systems.

Of course, those older owners are faced with issues now that the hoyty-toyty folks will likely face some time in the future, but they don't seem to be willing to learn history from experienced owners.

But, again, that's how the "Smart" people posted 20 years ago, that they had all the answers, so, really, it's not unlike 20 years ago.

Some people are givers and some people are takers. Givers give even if they really don't have anything to give, and takers take when they really don't need anything more.

NoOneYouKnow

Last edited by nooneyouknow on Sep 15, 2019 05:24 AM

Sep 25, 2019

Speaking of "helpful", it's sad, and says all that needs to said about timeshares, that the number of them being given away for free-ish on TUG numbers in the hundreds.

I gave up counting well over 100, and had not moved very far down the "page".

& that is from a place where people like timeshares!!!

NoOneYouKnow

Last edited by nooneyouknow on Sep 25, 2019 02:00 PM

Sep 26, 2019

nooneyouknow wrote:
Speaking of "helpful", it's sad, and says all that needs to said about timeshares, that the number of them being given away for free-ish on TUG numbers in the hundreds.

The flip side of this is that a lot of the people on TUG already own timeshare(s) and really don't need any more, even if the units are free. Also, a number of the units being advertised in TUG's Bargain Deals section are referred to as Dog Weeks (or sometimes Blue weeks or Mud weeks) in that they have zero or even negative value because usually the maintenance fees exceed the realistic rental value.

However, since it is free to advertise there, it doesn't hurt to do so. And, unlike Craigslist, you won't get inundated with spammers and scammers through your ad.

Lance C.
Sep 27, 2019

nooneyouknow wrote:

Sad because 20 years ago that was not the case. Albeit it a lot lower than "retail" prices, there used to be a resale market.

Sad that on a forum of timeshare-lovers, they have to try to give them away, "try" being the operative word.

You can spin it however you want, but it says all that needs to be said about the state of timesharing.

Except in very few cases, it doesn't make sense to buy and maintain a cow, when milk is so available and reasonable.

NoOneYouKnow

Last edited by nooneyouknow on Sep 27, 2019 05:02 AM

Sep 27, 2019

Not related to TUG, but to the desirability of timeshares with the general public, people are turned off by the copious rules at TS resorts, IMHO:

"Minimum age check-in: Minimum age check-in is 21.

No Pets. Please contact the resort directly regarding its ADA/general service animal policy.

No smoking in units: could result in forfeiture of the unit and/or other penalties.

No trailers , No RV parking , No large vehicle parking , Limited parking onsite , No boat parking"

- - - - - - & FWIW, don't let those who do not like Craigslist discourage you from using CL. It has always worked well for me/us, for TS and everything else, from free stuff to $75000 stuff, both acquiring and getting rid of. Spammers are easy to spot, and easier to ignore.

For instance, did you know that you can right-click on a photo in a CL ad, and select "Search Google for image", and see if that same photo is posted anywhere else on the Internet? So, when suspicious wording or pricing clues you, do that, and find the same ad all around the country.

Since I just initiated a very friendly conversation with a complete stranger who responded to my SW FL vacation rental ad, I have initiated quite a few friendly conversations with complete strangers that I've met on CL. Granted, there's been a jerk or three, but to tie into this thread, I've met more unfriendly strangers on TUG than on CL.

(insert winkie-smilie here)

NoOneYouKnow

Last edited by nooneyouknow on Oct 11, 2019 02:23 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.