Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Standard Timeshare Transfers.

May 04, 2018

I am considering using STT, Ozark Missouri, to get rid of my Sheraton timeshare $850 upfront fee. Has anyone had any success using this company or is it a scam as they claim to process thousands of successful transfers annually

Ron G.
May 04, 2018

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract !!!!

Don P.
May 04, 2018

I'll agree with Don P but add this question. What exactly will they do to get you out of the contract? Likely it's something you can do yourself for a lot less money.

Lance C.
May 06, 2018

I have never heard of this particular entity in my own 35+ years of involvement with timeshares, but would nonetheless be willing to bet that it is what is commonly known as called a "Viking Ship" operation, in which a deed is transferred into a fictitious name, fictitious entity or bogus LLC.

The fundamental problem with all "Viking Ship" operations is that they are knowingly committing fraud by design, intent and action. Any participant in any part of any such scheme can potentially be held criminally culpable. Accordingly, participation in a Viking Ship scheme may very well come back later to bite a wannabe "grantor" right in the butt --- in a very painful way.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 07, 2018 05:17 AM

May 08, 2018

What do any of you think of timeshare ownership? Do you find value owning ...or is it best to take a chance to rent someone else's?

Deanna P.
May 08, 2018

Just rent .

Don P.
May 09, 2018

deannap15 wrote:
What do any of you think of timeshare ownership? Do you find value owning ...or is it best to take a chance to rent someone else's?

There is certainly no "one size fits all" answer, since everyone is very different in their stage of life, financial situation, travel goals, family size and space requirements, vacation schedule flexibility, etc.

We own and use and enjoy several timeshare weeks and plan to continue to do so, but I cannot in good conscience "recommend" buying into the long term commitment and ever-growing expense of timeshare ownership. Particularly unwise is buying a timeshare with the intent to mostly use it for "exchanging". The "exchange game" is (in my opinion) one of rolling load dice on a tilted table --- with built-in uncertainties and additional expenses (beyond annual maintenance fee expenses) and absolutely no guarantees of any availability where / when you can and want to travel.

In short, for many (perhaps most) people, renting is likely a much better alternative than owning. To each their own.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 09, 2018 04:19 AM

May 10, 2018

Never buy a Timeshare. All you "own" is a contract which is sometimes vague. Want to vacation? Then just book into a nice hotel wherever & whenever you desire. You don't need to "own" your personal hotel room.

Gerard S.
May 10, 2018

You can also rent someone's timeshare that they are not using and they want to recoup some of their maintenance fees . Some of them can be rented for less than the owner pays in fees .

Don P.
May 12, 2018

gerards23 wrote:
All you "own" is a contract which is sometimes vague. Want to vacation? Then just book into a nice hotel wherever & whenever you desire. You don't need to "own" your personal hotel room.

This overly simplistic statement is not factually correct. Many timeshare ownerships are deeded, fixed weeks in fixed condo units; essentially representing fractional real estate ownership; we own six such weeks. What we literally own, by recorded legal deed, are individual weeks in condominium units (they are hardly "hotel rooms"). We pay considerably less in annual maintenance fees per owned week than it would cost us to stay in a "hotel room" for a full week in any of those particular areas.

To each their own of course, but we much prefer our spacious condos with two bedrooms, living room and full kitchen over any "hotel room". For that matter, "hotel room" reservations would be hard to come by at all for a full week straight in the prime areas and prime seasons where we choose to own and use our particular timeshare weeks.

Your statement may be partly accurate for RTU's, vacation clubs, and "points only contracts", but they are just a small segment of the various other forms of timeshare ownership of which you are evidently unaware.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 13, 2018 05:02 AM

Jan 03, 2019

Hi, Ken C, I read your response regarding Standard Timeshare Transfers. Is there a company that you can recommend that has a good record of helping people transfer their paid timeshare? We have owned ours for years in Sedona but we no longer want it. What recommendations do you have? Linda B

Linda B.
Jan 03, 2019

There is no company that can guarantee that they can get you out of your contract . Call the home resort yourself and negotiate your own exit . I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 that way . I had to make a lot of phone calls to locate the right party that handles the titles . It was inexpensive and only took a few weeks to complete the entire process . Stop giving the SCAMMERS money upfront and negotiate your own exit .

Don P.
Jan 03, 2019

lindab1243 wrote:
Is there a company that you can recommend that has a good record of helping people transfer their paid timeshare?

Do you mean that you have already found a willing buyer/taker and want a company that will do the legal paperwork of transferring the deed to the new, willing recipient or do you mean that you want a company that will "cancel" your ownership?

If it's the former, RedWeek deals with First American Title. Also, Legal Timeshare Transfers is recommended by many veteran timeshare owners.

If it's the latter, then I would echo Don P.'s suggestion of contacting the resort and negotiating a deed back. You could also try to list your unit for giveaway here in RedWeek's Bargain Basement or on Timeshare Users Group's (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com) Bargain Deals section for free saying that you want to give your unit away to a willing taker.

Just never ever pay any company or law firm a large, upfront fee that claims it can cancel or exit you from your timeshare.

Lance C.
Jan 04, 2019

lindab1243 wrote:
Hi, Ken C, I read your response regarding Standard Timeshare Transfers. Is there a company that you can recommend that has a good record of helping people transfer their paid timeshare? We have owned ours for years in Sedona but we no longer want it. What recommendations do you have? Linda B

There is NO entity on Planet Earth that can just somehow magically extract you from a legal, contractual obligation into which you once voluntarily entered of your own free will (if that's what you mean by your use of the word "transfer").

If, by the more appropriate use of the word "transfer", you are referring to a transfer of ownership, once you find a willing recipient on your own, an outfit in Georgia called LT Transfers can assist with the associated deed transfer work for a reasonable fee (under $200). It's still your responsibility to find a new willing owner however. Just as if you had a car, or a boat or a home you "don't want anymore", it is your own personal responsibility to first find a new owner and then effect a lawful transfer of ownership.

Have you looked into the possibility of a "deedback" to the resort HOA if what you're basically looking for is escape, not "transfer"?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 04, 2019 05:30 AM

Jan 09, 2019

donp196 wrote:
There is no company that can guarantee that they can get you out of your contract . Call the home resort yourself and negotiate your own exit . I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 that way . I had to make a lot of phone calls to locate the right party that handles the titles . It was inexpensive and only took a few weeks to complete the entire process . Stop giving the SCAMMERS money upfront and negotiate your own exit .

@Don P: I would very much like to talk with you regarding your timeshare resales, or perhaps you can direct me to information that can help me navigate a deed back attempt. I think you it would be greatly appreciate by many owners if you could outline methodology and provide any sample letters related to a deed back.

Paul J.
Jan 09, 2019

You need to be your own advocate . Make a few phone calls to your home resort until you get a hold of the person who handles the titles . In my case I advised them that due to certain circumstances I was going to get the titles out of my name with or without their assistance and it was in their best interest to work with me . Obviously they believed me and I was able to give back two timeshares in 2009 that way . The entire process took only a few weeks and was very inexpensive . Some resorts require you to pay the next years maintenance fees or more but that's a small price to pay to be free of future maintenance fees and assessments .

You have to state your case . Be prepared and convincing . There is no company out there that can get you out of your contract without the home resort agreeing to it . Nobody should be as convincing as you and hopefully you can present a strong case . Good luck and let us know how you make out .

Don P.
Jan 20, 2019

I have bought from them before. My deed says 741 N 20th Street Ozark MO 65721. It's Sumday vacations on Ebay. They're 100% legit and one of the best sellers to buy a resale contract from. All they will do is list your timeshare on Ebay and create a new Warranty deed. You can either pay them to do it or make your own listing on Ebay and do it yourself.

Courtney S.

Last edited by phyl21 on Jan 20, 2019 02:14 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.