Jan 12, 2019

I have two weeks (one odd year and one even year) at Westin Lagunamar in Cancun Mexico for a 1 bedroom deluxe or 44,000 points each. One week is paid off and the other will be in a few days. I don’t want to continue paying the maintenance fees (due this month). My question: is this worth trying to sell? I don’t want to pay to list these if there’s no market.

Melissa M.
Jan 12, 2019

melissam813 wrote:
I don’t want to continue paying the maintenance fees (due this month). My question: is this worth trying to sell? I don’t want to pay to list these if there’s no market.

Most units in Cancun and the rest of Mexico are worth about zero dollars on the resale market. What you can try is to log into your E-bay account if you have one and check for completed sales (not active listings) of units in that same resort to see what they sold for. If you see that some auctions closed without garnering any bids, then you know that it is pretty much worth zero.

A problem with trying to sell or give away units in Mexico is that many charge a very high transfer fee. Check your contract(s) to see what the deal is with yours.

If you feel that it is not worth trying to sell or find a taker, another option for you since it's in Mexico and is likely a right-to-use is to just stop paying maintenance fees and let the membership lapse. You might get hounded with collection calls or letters but those are usually all bark and no bite. If you ignore them enough, they will likely just go away and repossess your unit.

I just want to add this tidbit. Do not pay anyone or any company a large, upfront fee that claims it can cancel or get you out of your timeshare. If they are not an outright scam, they will simply charge you thousands of dollars to do what was suggested above.

Lance C.

Last edited by lancec13 on Jan 12, 2019 08:20 PM

Jan 31, 2019

Agree with Lance.

Lina C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.