Ask RedWeek

What is the best way to find out what it's really worth?

Jan 16, 2019

For some time I have had a timeshare that I inherited from my mother. What little research I have done seems to indicate its current worth is only a fraction of what she paid for it 30 years ago. My question is this: What is the best way to find out what it's really worth?

The M.
Jan 16, 2019

Most timeshares have very little or no value on the resale market . Don't let anyone tell you that they can get you out of your contract for an upfront fee .

Don P.
Jan 17, 2019

them10 wrote:
For some time I have had a timeshare that I inherited from my mother. What little research I have done seems to indicate its current worth is only a fraction of what she paid for it 30 years ago. My question is this: What is the best way to find out what it's really worth?

Many timeshares have little or no value in the resale market, but some certainly do. It depends entirely upon location, season and supply vs. demand.

You can (and should) look at closed auctions on eBay to see if you can find a directly comparable week / unit size at the same resort as your inherited timeshare. That would tell you precisely what someone paid, and when. You can also look at "asking" prices on RedWeek.com, MyResortNetwork.com and the "Marketplace" section on the Timeshare Users Group site (http://www.tug2.net). However, keep in mind that "asking" prices mean very little and what someone paid 30 years ago means absolutely nothing. It's strictly a matter of what someone will pay for that week today in the open market. The answer may unfortunately be nothing.

By the way, unless you are specifically named on the recorded deed with your deceased mother, you have no legal obligation whatsoever to accept the inheritance of that timeshare; you can simply disclaim the inheritance. You could also contact the resort HOA, explain the circumstances, and pursue a "deedback" if you find that there is little or no interest in that particular timeshare in the open resale market.

Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 17, 2019 05:59 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.