Timeshare Exchanges

Securing Rental thru Interval and re-Renting

Feb 06, 2022

Has anyone had experience trading a unit from Interval, not able to use, and therefore re-renting thru Redweek?

Any Problems? Or Same as if your unit as an owner, and not a secondary (Interval).

Thanks, Candy

Janet P.
Feb 06, 2022

Exchange companies such as Interval International (II) and RCI do not permit owners to rent out weeks or intervals they acquired via exchange. If you get caught trying to rent it out, the renter will be denied access.

Lance C.
Feb 07, 2022

lancec13 wrote:
Exchange companies such as Interval International (II) and RCI do not permit owners to rent out weeks or intervals they acquired via exchange. If you get caught trying to rent it out, the renter will be denied access.

Lance is correct. Not only could the "renter" be denied access, but YOUR membership could be suspended or cancelled for violating the II prohibition against renting out weeks(s) obtained by "exchange" (RCI also has the same prohibition). Weeks obtained by exchange from II or RCI are simply not yours to rent out to anyone else. Period.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 21, 2024 04:57 AM

Feb 07, 2022

Actually, I am a MVC owner and was forced to deposit my unit in II, due to COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. This might be special treatment of COVID from Marriott. If I rent this MVC unit back from II, can I rent this out in Redweek? I believe Marriott should recognize and treat my unit I exchange like that as the owner one.

Hirokazu F.
Feb 08, 2022

hirokazuf wrote:
Actually, I am a MVC owner and was forced to deposit my unit in II, due to COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. This might be special treatment of COVID from Marriott. If I rent this MVC unit back from II, can I rent this out in Redweek? I believe Marriott should recognize and treat my unit I exchange like that as the owner one.

Not sure what you mean saying you were "forced" to deposit your unit in II, but...

In any case, the bottom line is that you can only rent out weeks that you OWN. Covid-related disruptions aside, if you deposited a week that you own to II, I don't see how you can "get it back" from II; you already relinquished it as a "deposit". Someone may very well have already claimed that deposited unit / week from II as an "exchange" since then. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can only really wish you good luck with whatever it is that you are seeking to accomplish.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 08, 2022 05:52 PM

Feb 08, 2022

OK. I put aside covid-related issue. I am a MVC KOBC owner. If I can exchange my unit I deposited (originally, MVC KOBC unit) in II to MVC KOBC, am I able to rent this out in Redweek?

ken1193 wrote:
hirokazuf wrote:

Not sure what you mean saying you were "forced" to deposit your unit in II, but...

In any case, the bottom line is that you can only rent out weeks that you OWN. Covid-related disruptions aside, if you deposited a week that you own to II, I don't see how you can "get it back" from II; you already relinquished it as a "deposit". Someone may very well have already claimed that deposited unit / week from II as an "exchange" since then. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can only really wish you good luck with whatever it is that you are seeking to accomplish.

Hirokazu F.
Feb 09, 2022

hirokazuf wrote:
OK. I put aside covid-related issue. I am a MVC KOBC owner. If I can exchange my unit I deposited (originally, MVC KOBC unit) in II to MVC KOBC, am I able to rent this out in Redweek?

I'm not sure that I clearly understand your question, but I'll answer it based upon what I think you are asking...

Under the terms and conditions of Interval International (and / or RCI) membership, you can ONLY rent out a unit / week that YOU ACTUALLY OWN. Any week that you obtain from II (or from RCI) as an "exchange", even if the week obtained by exchange happens to be at a resort where you own a (different) unit / week, is simply not yours to rent out (unless, of course, you are somehow able to exchange back into the very same unit / week that you actually OWN).

If your question is "Can I get away with renting out a week that I don't actually own but obtained from II by exchange?" the answer is maybe --- if you choose to risk the potential consequences already mentioned previously in this thread.

If your question is "Am I allowed to do this under the terms & conditions of II membership?", the answer is plainly no.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 11, 2022 06:20 AM

Mar 25, 2022

Agree with Lance C. You deposit your week with Interval International and you need to use it within 2 years or so or you lose it. You cannot sell your unit week with Interval International. Exchange is as per their availability. You need to place vacation request ASAP in order to get great place. Janna

Janna D.
Jan 20, 2024

how will ii know whether i am renting a unit i obtained as trade?

Frank M.
Jan 21, 2024

frankm421 wrote:
how will ii know whether i am renting a unit i obtained as trade?

If you do some Internet searching, you will find instances of people getting caught attempting to rent out weeks they obtained from II or RCI as an exchange, violating the terms & conditions of their membership. HOW did they get caught? Ask them…

People seeking to rent a timeshare week should always try to verify that the advertiser actually OWNS that week. If they don’t own it, then it’s not theirs to rent out to anyone else in the first place.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 21, 2024 05:06 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.