Ask RedWeek

Inheriting time share

Mar 27, 2022

Mother just passed away. Her grown children are inheriting Marriott timeshares. Any advice on transferring them? They are deeded weeks in US and Aruba

Deirdre I.
Mar 27, 2022

Assuming that this is your Mother you are talking about, first and foremost, thought and condolences out to you and your family.

Now, regarding the timeshare, what do you mean by "transferring" the units? Do you mean transferring them from Mother to children, Mother to another owner/taker, or children to another owner/taker?

Also, keep in mind this very important point and misconception. The children are not forced to inherit any unwanted timeshare unless their name is on the deed. This is a common scare tactic spread by many exit companies.

Lance C.
Apr 18, 2022

We have 18000 MVC points, and just revised our Revocable Trust to specify that the three beneficiaries can use the points, sell them privately, or see what Marriott VC can arrange as a middle broker.

We also included in this Trust, five years of maintenance fees that will give them time to try the clubs or dispose of the points, at which time any remaining balance in this maint. account is returned to the trust for division.

Since it's "real property," it can be easily transferred (by Marriott) into the new named recipient. In the same vein, if you stop paying the annual maintenance, the property is in default, and ultimately goes back to Marriott.

Lee G.
May 04, 2022

We have been using our timeshares for over 20 years. As age has caught up with us we can no longer use the timeshares. How can we transfer the deeds or return them to the resorts. Our resorts are Palm Beach Shores Resorts and Villas, Parkway, and Coral Shores of Redington Beach. We also have over 900,000 RCI points available

Sy F.
May 04, 2022

syf wrote:
We have been using our timeshares for over 20 years. As age has caught up with us we can no longer use the timeshares. How can we transfer the deeds or return them to the resorts. Our resorts are Palm Beach Shores Resorts and Villas, Parkway, and Coral Shores of Redington Beach. We also have over 900,000 RCI points available

Whether you can "deedback" to a independent (i.e., non-"chain") resort is determined by (and ONLY by) each individual resort HOA / BOD. "Chains" (e.g., HGVC, Westgate, Marriott, etc.) each have their own differing policies on the matter, but the deedback policy is in place and applicable throughout that particular "chain" .

Some independent (non-"chain") resorts will accept deedbacks. Statistically, most will not do so. You would have to contact each resort individually in order to learn their particular position regarding deedbacks and, if they do accept deedbacks, any conditions and procedures and costs that may be involved. If the resort(s) involved do not accept "deedbacks", then you will have to find a new "grantee" on your own, either by advertising and selling the week(s), or just giving them away for free to someone who is willing to take over the obligations of ownership of the timeshare(s).

As a last resort, if none of the above options work out, you can choose to just "walk away", pay no further fees and just let the resort(s) ultimately foreclose on the ownership(s). I'm not advocating for or recommending this particular course of action; I am merely pointing out that it is always an available option and choice for you if / when all else fails.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 05, 2022 08:42 AM

Jun 09, 2022

Thank you for that helpful information. I had been told my children would "be forced" to inherit our timeshare. I am thankful it will be their choice. We have used our timeshare over the years but I rue the day we bought that 1st timeshare.

Jeanette H.
Jun 09, 2022

jeanetteh78 wrote:
Thank you for that helpful information. I had been told my children would "be forced" to inherit our timeshare. I am thankful it will be their choice.

I'm glad you can see the truth in this regard. My question though is, who told you that "[your] children would "be forced" to inherit [your] timeshare"?

Lance C.
Jul 19, 2022

Does Redweek have page for Interval weeks? I have used Redweek for Marriott weeks and Westin weeks, but am stuck with Interval weeks that we cannot use.

Christiane
Jul 19, 2022

It is against the policies of both Interval International and RCI to rent out any week obtained through their system. Therefore we are unable to offer our verified or full-service option for any week obtained through either II or RCI.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.