Ask RedWeek

Pet Friendly Higher End Timeshare Properties in the US

Apr 25, 2022

Are There any “nicer” time sure that will permit dogs that are not service animals? Apparently since Marriott which has never allowed them, has acquired Westin, Sheraton, etc., I understand that they have imposed on your pet policy on those properties as well. Has anyone that has traveled recently been able to bring their dog? He’s outdated restrictions are having a negative impact on our travel destinations as we strongly prefer to have our two little companions along.

Ev L.

Last edited by evlevin on Apr 25, 2022 12:17 PM

Apr 25, 2022

Ev: The majority of timeshares do not allow pets. You will find some pet-friendly resorts on this page: Pet Friendly Resorts

We recommend always verifying with the resort prior to booking a week, as their policy may have changed.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Apr 27, 2022

evlevin wrote:
Has anyone that has traveled recently been able to bring their dog? These outdated restrictions are having a negative impact on our travel destinations as we strongly prefer to have our two little companions along.

With all due respect, it is only your personal opinion that pet prohibitions at timeshare properties actually constitute "outdated restrictions" (your words). I personally disagree with that characterization and I further believe that all such prohibitions against pets at timeshare properties are completely appropriate and can / will never become "outdated".

I love dogs and have always had them, but I also fully respect that people who have allergies or dander sensitivity (or who just plain don't want dogs or cats around at a property where they own) should never have to occupy a unit where animals (i.e., "pets") have just spent a week (or more). Personally, I support the complete prohibition against pets of any species at all timeshare properties, with the important exception of legitimate, professionally trained service dogs which provide necessary personal assistance to those with disabilities, as is entirely appropriate under ADA criteria.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 28, 2022 01:42 PM

Apr 29, 2022

Thank you. Yes I contacted one that was supposedly dog friendly as it had been when we previously visited, but since Marriott acquired the brand they had to change their policy to “no pets”

Ev L.
Apr 29, 2022

Resorts that allow small pets typically assign specific units or buildings for housing pets so there is no issue with people that are allergic being exposed in their units to pet dander etc.

Ev L.
May 01, 2022

evlevin wrote:
Resorts that allow small pets typically assign specific units or buildings for housing pets so there is no issue with people that are allergic being exposed in their units to pet dander etc.

Understood, but I respectfully submit that this conveniently overlooks the fact that many owners simply do not want animals (particularly barking / yapping dogs) around at all at a property where they have invested their hard earned money in interval ownership, with the advance knowledge and expectation that pets / animals would not be present at their property at any time, except for professionally trained service dogs providing necessary ADA assistance.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 01, 2022 06:55 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.