Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Rescinded contract with Vistana Aventuras, now confused about buying resale

Mar 01, 2024

I just emailed a cancellation of a contract I purchased with Vistana Aventura at The Westin Resort & Spa in Cancun, and am now researching resales of timeshares. However, I'm a bit confused by what's being offered out there.

The plan I purchased from the developer allows me 44,000 Options each year, with my home resort considered The Westin Lagunamar (this is up the road from The Westin Resort & Spa, which is not technically considered a "home" resort but does sales for Lagunamar in that location). The part of the plan that appealed to me most was the flexibility of using "options" however I choose -- being able to go to any resort/hotel in the Vistana Signatures Network whenever I want, and choosing any size room I want, with the understanding that the options currency fluctuates in accordance to demand.

But when I search for resales of timeshares at Westin Lagunamar, the only packages offered are for specific rooms (studio, 1BR, 2BR, etc), some for even or odd years, or even for specific weeks. Are these an older system of timeshares at Lagunamar that I wouldn't be able to use as "Options" anytime or anywhere I want?

Is there a way to search for resales of the points/options system I bought through Vistana Aventura? I'd like to just be able to travel anywhere I'd like, whenever I'd like. Also, does buying such a plan on the resale market take away the opportunity to convert to Marriott Abound Club Points (less important to me) or to the Interval International exchange (more important)?

Thanks for any help you can provide to a flustered and overwhelmed timeshare newbie!

Michelle K.
Mar 01, 2024

Hi Michelle,

I am not super knowledgeable about this particular timeshare, hopefully someone else here can give you specific tips. But, I will say canceling that contract was probably wise. First, because you should fully educate yourself before making such a big commitment and secondly because it is never the best idea to buy from the developer. It's usually way overpriced. I don't really like the points system. I'm sure you can find a thread here about the pros and cons of points. I personally recommend buying at a resort you want to visit year after year. If you want flexibility, just rent. No upfront commitment and costs, and no hassle trying to get the resort and time period you want. Hope that helps!

Nathan D.
Mar 02, 2024

michellek801 wrote:
I just emailed a cancellation of a contract I purchased with Vistana Aventura at The Westin Resort & Spa in Cancun, and am now researching resales of timeshares.

I do not claim to know anything at all about Vistana, but I do know a fair amount amount about contract rescission (cancellation).

Does your contract clearly and specifically allow for rescission (cancellation) *by email*? Far more often, contract rescission requires signed documentation, maybe also a requirement to send that signed documentation by certified mail. There are certainly exceptions, but do not "assume" that merely sending an email (...or a text or a fax) will effect a legally valid contract rescission. It won't, unless those options are very specifically identified in your contract as acceptable means for rescission communication.

Since state laws provide a very limited time period to rescind (3-10 days, depending on the individual state), it is critically important to rescind correctly, within the time limit, precisely following the rescission instructions provided to you in writing at the time of contract execution, as the developer is required to provide, by applicable law.

Edited to add: I just belatedly noticed that this purchase was made in Mexico. All of the above input still applies; rescission time period in Mexico is 5 days.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 02, 2024 09:16 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.