Mar 31, 2024

Just out curiosity if my ex wife is on the contract but I have no way of getting a hold of her could I still sell my unit without her signing and paperwork?

I have rented my unit a couple times without her signing any paperwork and with no issues at at all

Heath B.

Last edited by heathb20 on Mar 31, 2024 08:27 AM

Apr 01, 2024

heathb20 wrote:
Just out curiosity if my ex wife is on the contract but I have no way of getting a hold of her could I still sell my unit without her signing and paperwork?

I have rented my unit a couple times without her signing any paperwork and with no issues at at all

Rentals are one thing, but legal transfer of ownership is another matter entirely.

If there are two names on the current deed, both people must sign as “grantors” to new “grantee(s)” on a new deed. Division of assets should have been addressed and legally resolved in the course of divorce proceedings and negotiations, but timeshares are often completely overlooked by both parties and their respective attorneys, since timeshares are “out of sight and out of mind” and often have little (or no) monetary value to remind anyone that their legal ownership still must be dealt with in a divorce.

My advice is to contact the attorney who represented you in divorce, if that is still a possibility. He / she might be able to contact your ex’s attorney to facilitate one or the other of you signing over ownership to the other (easiest) or both agreeing to sign a new deed once you find a willing new owner (more complicated and much more time consuming). One way or another, in my opinion you need assistance and advice from a properly licensed legal professional. You cannot provide “clean title” in a sale without the consent and (valid, notarized — not forged) signature of the other co-owner whose name appears on the current, officially recorded deed. Good luck!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 02, 2024 05:21 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.