Oct 13, 2006

How does floating work?

Ed N.
Oct 14, 2006

A floating timeshare is one where you buy a certain time period and then have flexibilty for travel within that time period

An example would be buying platinium time here where you get most of the summer weeks, you would be able to reserve any week within that time frame to travel to the resort.

Ryan P.

Last edited by ryanp on Oct 14, 2006 08:19 AM

Jun 01, 2009

what does Med. and High stand for in the details of the timeshares available.

Ernest C.
Jun 02, 2009

ernestc26 wrote:
what does Med. and High stand for in the details of the timeshares available.

The floating weeks that are High are more desirable weeks at this resort. Medium are not the top weeks but low are the least desirable. Most owners will include in the Detailed area of their posting what weeks they have available to them.

Thank you, Marty

Marty F
Oct 31, 2009

Just a cautionary note: When renting or buying a timeshare unit from an individual do not go by their description as to "high, medium, or low" as some people will describe a lower week/period as being in a higher season to entice more interest in what they're offering. Marriott floating periods are "Platinum" for peak (most desirable) periods, "Gold", the next step down, then "Silver" all the way down to "Bronze", the least desirable or quietest season. If an ad fails to specify the specific season by color be sure to ask... and ask too for the inclusive weeks for that color. Most people will include these details in their ad but there are some whose ads are vague either by design or inadvertently.

Dennis N.
Nov 02, 2009

When I look at ads for resale I notice some of these claim the ability to downgrade use into periods other than what is owned. For instance if owning a PLATINUM season the claim would be that one can occupy any time of the year or owning GOLD being able to occupy during SILVER or BRONZE periods. I did not know that this was possible or if it IS possible. Can anyone clear this up? Could it be a policy only at Ocean Watch if indeed it is allowed?

Dennis N.
Feb 21, 2011

We own Marriott weeks too, but in Hilton Head. I've seen ads (for weeks for sale) at different resorts (some Marriott) which say this. However, I'd sure be real leery of anything the owner said unless I got confirmation from the resort in question. I know a good many people who own Marriott, and I've never heard any of them say they've done this. But who knows - anything is possible I guess! What you definitely can do is try to trade back into your home resort (through Interval) at any time, with of course no guarantee you'll get what you want.

Kathi L.
May 01, 2011

An alternative explanation for an owner not listing the exact season or color in the ad has to do with Redweek's format when they list their TS for sale. As I recall, Redweek's sellers information boxes are designed generically since some TS organizations other than Marriott don't use the same seasons/colors rather High, Med, Low or Red, White, Blue designations. When a potential buyer is searching specifically for Marriott resales, he/she will be thwarted by this Redweek format. If you want to contact the seller by clicking on the icon, you must purchase a year's membership with Redweek. Thus, one should not assume that the seller is trying to be "vague" with his/her listing. That's my take.......

Ray S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.