Point Systems

explanation of selling a fixed week, plus points

Oct 19, 2006

How does a sale of a timeshare which is a fixed week, plus points (Fairshare Plus) work? Do you sell the points separately from the week?

Margaret L.
Oct 20, 2006

I would recommend adding a resale posting for the fixed week (which RedWeek.com accommodates better than points), and then including information about the additional points in the Details section of the posting.

If you have to sell them as a package deal, make sure the resale price posted is what you're willing to accept for both the week + the points.

If you can sell them separately, you can choose to just post the price for the fixed week, then give the points a price with the mention in your Details section.

If you can sell them separately, you also might find RedWishes a more effective place to post the points part of your offering. There is a whole category there for Vacation Points for Sale, which potential points buyers can easily find: http://www.redweek.com/account/member/add_redwish

Hope this helps! For any additional info, please feel free to contact our customer support team.

Kylie

Kylie
RedWeek.com

Last edited by kyliec on Oct 20, 2006 11:02 AM

Nov 17, 2006

No. Fairshare Plus is a week of timeshare, be it fixed or variable. The week is assigned so many points by Fairfield. They are not separate items. If you exchange your Fairshare Plus to RCI, they reduce the value of your week(i.e., red to white or size of unit from 2 b/r to 1 b/r). hope that helps

Monty B.
Nov 21, 2006

monty23 wrote:
No. Fairshare Plus is a week of timeshare, be it fixed or variable. The week is assigned so many points by Fairfield. They are not separate items. If you exchange your Fairshare Plus to RCI, they reduce the value of your week(i.e., red to white or size of unit from 2 b/r to 1 b/r). hope that helps

Who reduces value of week? Fairfield or RCI? What sense does this make?

Kathie L.
Nov 21, 2006

I sat through a timeshare sales ordeal this summer and saleswoman told me that timeshare weeks were less popular or desirable these days than timeshare points. Also, that RCI favored points exchange requests over week exchange requests. I own a timeshare week and am an RCI member. Do they discriminate against week owners? Are points what buyers look for in resales?

Sophia M.
Nov 24, 2006

klaughl0 wrote:
monty23 wrote:

RCI & Fairfield are both owned by the same entity, but RCI doesn't recognize the same value for a week of timeshare as Fairfield does. Does that make sense? No, not in my view. As an example, If I deposit my Fairfield week(a red 2 b/r,2 bath unit) with RCI, they will fill my request with a white 2 b/r,2 bath or a red 1 b/r,1 bath. So they downgrade because the resort I own at isn't a high demand resort.

Monty B.
Nov 30, 2006

monty23 wrote:
klaughl0 wrote:
monty23 wrote:

RCI & Fairfield are both owned by the same entity, but RCI doesn't recognize the same value for a week of timeshare as Fairfield does. Does that make sense? No, not in my view. As an example, If I deposit my Fairfield week(a red 2 b/r,2 bath unit) with RCI, they will fill my request with a white 2 b/r,2 bath or a red 1 b/r,1 bath. So they downgrade because the resort I own at isn't a high demand resort.

If you own points with Fairfield (Wyndom now), you can exchange into any other Fairfield and give THAT week to RCI. If you give them a red week, it costs you more points than a white, of course, but It does not need to be a week in the resort where your contract is.

When you request a location and time period, RCI tells you what is available in that area during that time period. You can request UP TO the size of your unit,but may have to settle for less because that is all that is available. On the other hand, I have actually received Red time for White and 2BR for 1BR now and then, but a disproportionate percentage of RCI inventory is Studios or the "small half" of a two bedroom lock-off. Owners keep the good stuff to use.

Mary D.
Dec 30, 2006

I believe that if you sell your fixed week, converted to points because you belong to the Fairshare Plus Program, to someone who does not belong to the Fairshare Plus Plan, they get the fixed week but they get no points. They have to join the Fairshare Plus Plan, which costs a considerable fee, to convert to points. If the buyer is already in the Fairshare Plus Plan, the week automatically converts to points. Hence, the buyer has your fixed week purchase converted to points only if the buyer is already in the Fairshare Plus Plan. If you advertise your fixed week as well as the points to which the week has been converted, you open yourself up to the possibility of a lawsuit, because of the way you advertised your fixed week.

stanleyf5
Dec 31, 2006

Our first purchase, directly from Fairfield, was a fixed week which had been converted to points. The only problem with this has been that we could not later combine a new UDI (undivided interest) contract with the fixed week contract to get all our eggs into a single basket. (We moved our other Florida contract to a location with lower maintenance fees.)

Sophia, I would agree with the saleslady that points are easier to use than fixed week ownership. Obviously, they have more flexability whether you are using them yourself or as fodder for an RCI exchange.

However, remember that RCI Weeks and RCI Points are two different cats. Whatever your ownership form, you give whole weeks or their point equivalent to RCI Weeks and get whole weeks in exchange. If you have access to RCI Points, you can reserve either whole or partial weeks. I am able to access the same Points Resorts via Fairshare Plus as people who buy directly into RCI Points. However, as I understand it, one Fairfield Point is not of exactly the same value as one RCI Point. Think of them as two different currencies. You can get about 10 pesos for 1 dollar--but they buy pretty much the same thing!

Well, this discussion has wandered from the topic of selling to the topic of using points and/or fixed weeks. Some of these questions regarding selling should be referred directly to Fairfield's legal department or that of whatever resort group you are involved with yourself. It is pointless to try to generalize.

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Dec 31, 2006 08:29 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.