Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying timeshare on Hawaii

Apr 09, 2007

I went to a presentation yesterday and was told that one needs to be present in Hawaii to purchase because of state law. Is this true and is this true for resales. I can see this would make resale difficult if it were true.

Martin C.
Apr 09, 2007

martin114 wrote:
I went to a presentation yesterday and was told that one needs to be present in Hawaii to purchase because of state law. Is this true and is this true for resales. I can see this would make resale difficult if it were true.
Hi. I see resales on the internet for Hawaii all the time and the seller never says you have to come to Hawaii to complete the sale. I think you had an unethical salesman trying to get you to buy. Also check out internet sales sites for resales, you will save lots of money. Stan.

stanleyf5
Apr 09, 2007

martin114 wrote:
This is not true!!! I am in the process of selling my timeshare on Maui

Tom W.
Apr 10, 2007

I was on -line yesterday and checking out Hawaii resales on e-bay! I was checking out Holiday because I have seen many post on sites about them and only down side seems to be their charges after sale!

I found couple units that I had interest in with good price. Then you start reading there price break downs and when done with transfers and title you have now spent another $970.00. Other sites run $375.. with no transfer fee or small fee's.

I found the amount seem to total out at $500 to $600 to do all paperwork with most companies in Hawaii!

I e-mailed asking them about their pricing and had reply that yes these are the charges but they do it right! I guess this means for $500 other companies don't do it right!

They charge something like $395 for their charge then state $400-500 for resort to transfer ownership and it just to seem adding up.

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Apr 10, 2007 03:21 PM

Apr 10, 2007

phill12 wrote:
Check out internet sales sites for resales, you will save lots of money. Stan.
========================================

I was on -line yesterday and checking out Hawaii resales on e-bay! I was checking out Holiday because I have seen many post on sites about them and only down side seems to be their charges after sale.

I found couple units that I had interest in with good price. Then you start reading there price break downs and when done with transfers and title you have now spent another $970.00. Other sites run $375.. with no transfer fee or small fee's.

I found the amount seem to total out at $500 to $600 to do all paperwork with most companies in Hawaii!

I e-mailed asking them about their pricing and had reply that yes these are the charges but they do it right! I guess this means for $500 other companies don't do it right!

They charge something like $395 for their charge then state $400-500 for resort to transfer ownership and it just to seem adding up. The costs you are speaking about are small compared to the developer price for a week at a Hawaii resort.

stanleyf5
Apr 10, 2007

stanleyf5 wrote:
phill12 wrote:

I was on -line yesterday and checking out Hawaii resales on e-bay! I was checking out Holiday because I have seen many post on sites about them and only down side seems to be their charges after sale.

They charge something like $395 for their charge then state $400-500 for resort to transfer ownership and it just to seem adding up.

The costs you are speaking about are small compared to the developer price for a week at a Hawaii resort.

stanleyf5
Apr 10, 2007

[Q=stanleyf

The costs you are speaking about are small compared to the developer price for a week at a Hawaii resort.

I don't care about comparing cost add-ons to the developer fee's!

I am comparing to other resales in Hawaii(apples to apples).

There is a good $400-$500 difference in fee's depending on who you buy through!

Phil L.
Apr 11, 2007

phill12 stanleyf

I am comparing to other resales in Hawaii(apples to apples).

There is a good $400-$500 difference in fee's depending on who you buy through![/Q

I am saying that if you add the transfer costs to the resale purchase cost of a week at a Hawaii Rsort it is still a good deal compared to the develper's price. If the total cost of the resale purchase is not worth it to you, then don't buy it. There are a limited number of free things in this world. Stan.

stanleyf5
Apr 11, 2007

stanleyf5 phill12

stanleyf

I am comparing to other resales in Hawaii (apples to apples).

There is a good $400-$500 difference in fee's depending on who you buy through![/Q wrote:

I am saying that if you add the transfer costs to the resale purchase cost of a week at a Hawaii Rsort it is still a good deal compared to the develper's price. If the total cost of the resale purchase is not worth it to you, then don't buy it. There are a limited number of free things in this world. Stan.

I don't remember asking for free ride! But thank you Stan for clearing that up and I will take your comments as a Hawaii expert and keep my money in my pocket!

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Apr 13, 2007 11:23 AM

Apr 18, 2007

stanleyf5 wrote:
phill12 wrote:

The resorts are charging the transfer fees, not the closing company. For example, Consolidated Resorts charges $550 in transfer fees to new owners who buy resale. It is the developer's way of making money off of resales. They are double dipping, in my opinion, but to get the property for half price, it is a small price to pay. I dislike developers and especially dislike those developers who hold on after the property is completely sold out. We need more independent HOA's that can hire their own management companies. Consolidated owns almost nothing on Maui anymore, but owners are stuck with them anyway.

Sun or Snow T.
Apr 23, 2007

cynthia2

The resorts are charging the transfer fees, not the closing company. For example, Consolidated Resorts charges $550 in transfer fees to new owners who buy resale. It is the developer's way of making money off of resales. They are double dipping, in my opinion, but to get the property for half price, it is a small price to pay. I dislike developers and especially dislike those developers who hold on after the property is completely sold out. We need more independent HOA's that can hire their own management companies. Consolidated owns almost nothing on Maui anymore, but owners are stuck with them anyway.[/Q

Thanks for the reply! At least it seems you read my post before replying. Love the replies giving advice or comparing apples to oranges when that isn't the question!

I still wonder why the price charges are so different for same resort from one seller to another.

Phil L.
Apr 30, 2007

I know that when my sister bought her timeshare, her "home" resort (with points) is in Hawaii. She wasn't there when she bought it.

Stephanie

Stephanie H.
May 04, 2007

martin114 wrote:
I bought my first timeshare in Hawaii after a presentation in Vancouver Washington. Of course you do not have to be physically in Hawaii to buy a timeshare there!

M. w. S.
May 05, 2007

Because some sellers on Ebay prefer to use their affiliated closing companies and they will not permit the buyer to chose a closing company of their choice. The affiliated closing companies can charge a much larger fee for all paperwork compared to other closing companies. It depends on how good the deal is as to whether or not you would choose to pay the larger closing costs.

As far as the transfer fees go, they should be the same for the same resort since that fee is what the resort charges to transfer ownership. I would certainly check with any resort you are interested in concerning what their transfer fees are if the ad lists a transfer fee that seems very high.

phill12 wrote:
I still wonder why the price charges are so different for same resort from one seller to another.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.