General Discussion

Question about Renting

May 01, 2007

I wanted to know what can be done for people who want to rent a unit but its less than 60 days for protection. If a person asks you to pay either by check or paypal, how can you really protect yourself. Also, is there a system here where you can rate the owners, kind of like eBay where the person who rents or buys can leave feedback. I am feeling very cautious about renting and want to feel secure. Thanks for any advice!

Stacy E.
May 02, 2007

You must have a rental agreement signed by both you and the owner in order to protect both of you. There's a sample rental agreement in the buying, selling and renting forum, however you can word if anyway you wish.

I think your suggestion of owner ratings is a very good idea.

R P.
May 02, 2007

jayjay wrote:
You must have a rental agreement signed by both you and the owner in order to protect both of you. There's a sample rental agreement in the buying, selling and renting forum, however you can word if anyway you wish.

I think your suggestion of owner ratings is a very good idea.

Jayjay, I wonder about your sample rental agreement you showed on a post. Could someone just copy it and use it and I only ask this because the site that you can buy and down load also calls it a sample agreement!

The only problem I have with a person rating someone else is when you get someone just being a jerk or not to smart and just messes a transaction up then blames the owner!

How many times have you read someone complaining because of things like they rented or bought a timeshare then find they could get better price. Its always someone elses fault and here comes the bad rating!

This review stays with the owner and the one causing it rides of in the sunset!

We see this on resort reviews where one person trashes a resort and twenty others loved the place.

Phil L.
May 02, 2007

Actually, I made that sample rental agreement up myself from different rental agreements I've seen throughout the years on the internet. It does not have a copyright, so yes, anyone can copy and use it. They certainly have my permission. Anything to protect the consumer (both renter and owner).

phill12 wrote:
Jayjay, I wonder about your sample rental agreement you showed on a post. Could someone just copy it and use it and I only ask this because the site that you can buy and down load also calls it a sample agreement! .

R P.
May 08, 2007

jayjay wrote:
Actually, I made that sample rental agreement up myself from different rental agreements I've seen throughout the years on the internet. It does not have a copyright, so yes, anyone can copy and use it. They certainly have my permission. Anything to protect the consumer (both renter and owner).

phill12 wrote:
Jayjay, I wonder about your sample rental agreement you showed on a post. Could someone just copy it and use it and I only ask this because the site that you can buy and down load also calls it a sample agreement! .
I find the concept of the rental agreement you mentioned to be protective of all involved. WOuld you be so kind to post the agreement or email to me personally?

Thanks so much, Jan

Janis R.
May 08, 2007

stacye7 wrote:
I wanted to know what can be done for people who want to rent a unit but its less than 60 days for protection. If a person asks you to pay either by check or paypal, how can you really protect yourself. Also, is there a system here where you can rate the owners, kind of like eBay where the person who rents or buys can leave feedback. I am feeling very cautious about renting and want to feel secure. Thanks for any advice!

--------- If the owner has a website, simply check their profession.

Ronald G. Helms, Ph.D., Professor

DrRonald H.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 08, 2007 11:44 PM

May 09, 2007

SAMPLE RENTAL AGREEMENT

RESERVATIONS - Upon mutual agreement of unit rental, a ____% deposit must be made to confirm your reservation. Balance is due upon written confirmation or no later than _________, 2007. Payment is to be made with a bankcheck/draft (or a personal check if you accept that mode).

CANCELLATIONS - No cancellation allowed once a reservation has been made.

CHECK-IN/OUT - Check-in time is _____ P.M. on arrival date of __________, 2007. Check-out time is _____A.M. on date of departure of_________, 2007. Any exceptions must have prior approval from the owner and/or resort. The agreed upon rental price for the above stated timeframe or week of ______, 2007 is ________$ for unit number ____ at _________ (resort).

RULES AND REGULATIONS - Upon check-in, you must present a credit card to the front desk personnel, just like when you rent a hotel room. YOU are responsible for any damage, loss or theft incurred while renting this property. Any damage, which is not considered normal wear and tear, loss or theft caused by you, the renter, may be charged to your credit card. In order to reserve the integrity of the unit, we ask that it be occupied in a quiet and dignified manner. As guests of ______________(resort), you are expected to respect the premises and its contents and guard against damage, loss or theft. You are expected to adhere to all of _______________(resort) rules and regulations. The _____________ (resort), its employees and property owners will not be held libel for any claims, suits, damages, costs, losses and/or expenses arising from injury to any person or property occurring on the premises resulting from/relating to rental of this property. The renter must be at least 21 years of age and agrees not to sub-rent this unit. The rental rights acquired from this rental agreement are non-transferable.

TELEPHONE - All telephone calls, toll calls etc. will be billed to your credit card. NO PETS ALLOWED AT______________ (RESORT) AND NO SMOKING ALLOWED IN THE UNITS. A copy of this rental agreement is hereby acknowledged by both parties.

_________________ _________________ Signature of renter Signature of owner

Name, address, phone Name, address, phone __________________ __________________

janisr11 wrote:
I find the concept of the rental agreement you mentioned to be protective of all involved. WOuld you be so kind to post the agreement or email to me personally?Thanks so much,Jan

R P.
May 09, 2007

jayjay SAMPLE RENTAL AGREEMENT

RULES AND REGULATIONS - Upon check-in, you must present a credit card to the front desk personnel, just like when you rent a hotel room. YOU are responsible for any damage, loss or theft incurred while renting this property. Any damage, which is not considered normal wear and tear, loss or theft caused by you, the renter, may be charged to your credit card. ========================================

PHILL12

jayjay I wonder about the credit card covering damage! It is stated on many rules of timeshare resorts that bottom line is the owner is responsible for damage!

I don't see what could be done after renters leave and month later resort lets you know there was damage in the amount of for you to pay! I am sure you could not go back and charge the renters credit card!

Phil L.
May 10, 2007

Yes, the owner is ultimately responsible for any damage done to their unit by renters if the renter chooses to contest any damage charges on their credit card.

A person's credit card (owner or renter) is kept on file by the resort until a complete inspection is performed by housekeeping. It should not take a month for any charges to show up on anyone's credit card should there be damage.

phill12 wrote:
jayjay I wonder about the credit card covering damage! It is stated on many rules of timeshare resorts that bottom line is the owner is responsible for damage!

I don't see what could be done after renters leave and month later resort lets you know there was damage in the amount of for you to pay! I am sure you could not go back and charge the renters credit card!

R P.
May 13, 2007

jayjay wrote:

phill12 wrote:
can you email rental agreement??

thanks.

B T.
May 13, 2007

Yes, you can copy and email, snailmail or fax the agreement.

Q=bt20]

jayjay wrote:
Can you email rental agreement??

thanks.

R P.
Jun 11, 2007

Hi All

I'm living in Ireland and in the process of renting a timeshare from someone in the US.I'd appreciate it somebody/anybody could e-mail a sample of the rental agreement.I'm sooo nervous doing this and my husband not too happy at all.The only reason i'm doing it is because it's much cheaper to do it this way.

Thanks in advance

Brenda C.
Jun 11, 2007

Re: >> If the owner has a website, simply check their profession. <<

A truly and uniquely stunning and absurd notion.....

What on earth does one's profession possibly have to do with a timeshare rental, I'm prompted to wonder? (except, perhaps, to inherently distrust a lawyer or a developer timeshare salesman)..............

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 11, 2007 02:20 PM

Jun 18, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
Re: >> If the owner has a website, simply check their profession. <<

A truly and uniquely stunning and absurd notion.....

What on earth does one's profession possibly have to do with a timeshare rental, I'm prompted to wonder? (except, perhaps, to inherently distrust a lawyer or a developer timeshare salesman)..............

Uh, yeah, that's what I'm wondering!!! Just because the person that wrote this has initials trailing his name does not lead me to instantly trust.

Vicki Y.
Jul 31, 2007

stacye7 wrote:
====== You might ask the owner for a photocopy of their Confirmation to prove that they have one for the unit type and dates in question. Unless this is a fixed week which they own, this will not necessarily have a specific assigned unit but will usually give you information about the resort. The policy on this differs among timeshare resorts. The Confirmation will also probably give you a phone number if you want to make inquiries at the resort. MD

Mary D.
Jul 31, 2007

stacye7 wrote:

==== At less than 60 days out, many owners consider the full amount of rent due immediately. If check-in is quite close, make sure the person with whom you make the guest reservation will make contact with the receiving resort desk to be sure they will have the new guest name in their records, not the owner's. (They have been known not to get the change entered!) Sometimes it is even so late that a Guest Confirmation can't get to the renter by mail before the start date! In that case, I hope the resort group involved lets you access a copy of the reservation on line. Then you can be sure the right name is shown and can e-mail it to the renter. (Hair raising!) MD

Mary D.
Aug 01, 2007

I'm confused with the whole process of renting. Is this true that if I want to exchange with Redweek, and I have a floating week, I need to call my resort to reserve the date first. Then deposit it in the Redweek. After depositing, I can search for exchange right away & select the exchange that I want (eventhough mine has not been matched yet). So what would happen to my week that has not been selected, do I need to pay back for the week I exchanged? If I posted my week in Redweek, and somebody wants to exchange, they will contact me by email then we arrange the agreement. Then how people usually get paid? Do we need to set up Palpay account? I also heard that we need to deposit the money into a trust account until the transaction (I assume the travel) is completed, is this a typical way to exchange @ Redweek? Sorry for too many questions, but I am very confused. Thanks again.

Kimy N.
Aug 01, 2007

kimyn wrote:
I'm confused with the whole process of renting. Is this true that if I want to exchange with Redweek, and I have a floating week, I need to call my resort to reserve the date first. Then deposit it in the Redweek. After depositing, I can search for exchange right away & select the exchange that I want (eventhough mine has not been matched yet). So what would happen to my week that has not been selected, do I need to pay back for the week I exchanged? If I posted my week in Redweek, and somebody wants to exchange, they will contact me by email then we arrange the agreement. Then how people usually get paid? Do we need to set up Palpay account? I also heard that we need to deposit the money into a trust account until the transaction (I assume the travel) is completed, is this a typical way to exchange @ Redweek? Sorry for too many questions, but I am very confused. Thanks again.
--------- You are confusing renting your unit with the Redweek exchange program. Using the exchange program,once you deposit your week, it now belongs to Redweek. You have, I believe three years to use your points received from your deposit to exchange for other units. You do NOT have to deposit before searching the database. If your unit is never booked as an exchange, that is Redweek's issue and not yours. If you post your unit for rent, then a potential renter will contact you to arrange payment. You are not required to use the escrow service, but it is available to protect both parties. Paypal is an option; it will protect you as the owner to insure the transaction is good, but it doesn't give much protection to the renter. Hope this clears things a bit, but I know others will chime in to correct any discrepancies

Mike N.
Aug 01, 2007

brendac23 wrote:
Hi All

I'm living in Ireland and in the process of renting a timeshare from someone in the US.I'd appreciate it somebody/anybody could e-mail a sample of the rental agreement.I'm sooo nervous doing this and my husband not too happy at all.The only reason i'm doing it is because it's much cheaper to do it this way.

Thanks in advance

========= You may already have seen JayJay's sample agreement. Here is another one of several I have in my files. The owner should provide something rather like this.

Timeshare Gateway – Use Agreement AGREEMENT dated this DATE by and between Owner and the Resort Guest. 1. Owner(s)/Agent of unit ("Owner"): Name: ____________________________________________________________ Address: ____________________________________________________________ City: ____________________________________ State: __________ ZIP: E-mail address: ____________________________________________________________ 2. Resort Guest(s) in unit ("Guest"): Name: ____________________________________________________________ Address: ____________________________________________________________ City: ____________________________________ State: __________ ZIP: E-mail address: ____________________________________________________________ 3. Unit subject to Agreement ("Unit"): Resort name: ____________________________________________________________ Resort address: ____________________________________________________________ Unit designation (building, unit #, etc) if known: __________________________________ Number of bedrooms: _____ Number of bathrooms: ____ Maximum occupancy: _____ 4. Term of use ("Term"): Starts at _____ p.m. on (day of wk) ___________ (date) __________, 200__. Ends at _____ a.m. on (day of wk) ___________ (date) __________, 200__. 5. Fee for term: Fee per day: $__________ Total fee for stay: $__________ Paid upon signing $__________ Balance of $__________ to be paid by ______________, 200__. 6. Additional charges: Services and activities for which additional fees may be charged by the resort to Guest include the following: (to be filled in by owner/agent, if applicable) 7. The Guest agrees to fee the Unit from the Owner and the Owner agrees to the Guest's use of the Unit.

Timeshare Gateway – Use Agreement 9. The term of this Agreement is for the period designated in paragraph 4. The Guest may use the Unit during the term without interference, subject to the terms of this Agreement. If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the Term starts by reason of flood, fire, storm or a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the Owner shall refund the fee forthwith and will thereafter have no further liability to Guest. 10. The Guest agrees to pay the fee set forth in paragraph 5 at the times stated in that paragraph. If the fee is not received by Owner on or before the date specified, the Owner may declare the Guest in default by written notice sent by certified mail or by fax. If the default is not cured within 5 days after receipt of the notice, the Owner may keep the initial fee payment as agreed damages and this Agreement shall terminate. 11. The Guest may use the Unit only in accordance with the rules and regulations of the resort in which the Unit is located. No pets are allowed unless permitted by the resort. 12. The Owner will pay maintenance fees and all utility charges for the Unit. 13. The Guest will pay for telephone calls from the Unit (if available), any housekeeping services for which there is an additional charge, and any other extra charges (except utilities) imposed by the resort for services or for the use of its facilities. 14. The Guest agrees to maintain the Unit in the same condition as it is at the start of the Term except for ordinary wear and tear. The Guest will pay for all repairs, replacements and damages caused by the act or neglect of the Guest, the Guest's household members or guests. If requested at time of registration, Guest will sign a credit card charge slip to secure payment for any such repairs, replacements or damages. 15. Immediately upon receipt of the full fee payment, the Owner will notify the resort manager in writing that Guest will be occupying the Unit during the stated Term. At the same time, a copy of the letter will be sent by Owner to Guest. 16. The Owner is not responsible for any inconvenience or interruption of services due to repairs, improvements or for any other reason beyond the Owner's control. 17. This agreement may not be assigned by either party, without the other parties prior written consent. 18. All notices may be sent to the addresses and fax numbers set forth in paragraphs 1 and 2 of this Agreement. The parties have signed their names below on this _______ day The parties have signed their names below on this _______ day of _________________, 200__, to evidence their agreement to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Guest(s): ________________________ Owner(s): ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ NOTE: TYPED SIGNATURES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE - MUST BE HAND-SIGNED

There will certainly be some variations from the above, so don't consider a contract bogus just because it does not agree completely with this. Some owners will ask for a Security Deposit to be returned after the resort stay if there is no damage.

Owners may be nervous about dealing with overseas renters for currency exchange and other reasons. I've had potential "renters" who wanted me to cash their checks for more than the rental fee and send the balance to someone else. This was probably a scam in which the payment received bounces after the owner has forwarded money to the third party.

I can understand your being uncomfortable from your point of view also, but you may notice that nowhere on all these busy RedWeek discussion boards has anyone (that I've seen anyhow) complained of renting a week and not getting it. The only exception could occur when someone tried to illegally rent out a week secured through a major exchange company like RCI or II. Still, it never hurts to contact the resort you are going to and confirm that they have the space reserved in your name. If not, get back to the owner immediately to have this corrected. Once in a great while in resort networks with central reservation offices there is a "slip between the cup and the lip". That is, the unit was reserved in the owner's name, this information was sent to the resort, the unit was changed over to you by a Guest Confirmation, but the resort either did not get the change or misfiled it. In any case, try to complete your rental arrangements far enough ahead so that you will have the "Hard Copy" of the Guest Confimation in hand to prove your right to occupy a unit at the resort.

Your husband might feel more comfortable using the Escrow service which you can get through RedWeek, even if some cost is involved. MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Aug 01, 2007 10:28 PM

Aug 02, 2007

Thanks Mike. It's getting clearer now. Do need to be a member of Redweek to search?

Kimy N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.